logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eddie.m  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 1, 2013 4:16:31 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Exactly, why keep it here? [:D]

delta_fin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:49:37 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

All I want to say if OUT WITH CRAMER, IN WITH EDDIE!

Fantastic - plenty of wisdom in there; with the style of a jester. Love it.
John S  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:52:08 AM(UTC)
John S

I can't really say I accept your apology, because I've never felt offended in the least. :-).

The challenge with any software developed for solving complex problems is combining power with simplicity. The reason MetaStock has continued to succeed even with a lack of new functionality over the last 10 years is that it provides new users with a powerful tool with a reasonable learning curve. Many of the users on this forum are begging for increased power. We will carefully deliver on this. We are well-positioned to do this. The trick is increasing the power yet keeping things accessible to new users. Simplify and empower--not easy.

For example, I've been doing a bit of experimentation with MutltiCharts. They do a lot of things right. For example, they do portfolio-based system testing. The learning curve on this product (not to mentioned the price) is much steeper than MetaStock. So....give new user A (or even a typical user) MetaStock and new User B MulltiCharts. Assume that they are clones of each other. Check back with each in a 18 months (this is the average burn out time of a trader). Which one would have more money in their account? I'd put my money on the MetaStock user. Now one could make a case that the user that plopped their money into a Money Market would stand the best chance. But that is another issue.

Another challenge that I struggle with is almost a moral one. Is it OK to put functionality into the software that you believe is inherently flawed? I apologize to Gann enthusiasts out there, but when I read an article about a trader that goes to the gravesite of W.D. Gann in order to unlock hidden trading secrets, I thought to myself is this really a tool we want users to have in hand?. (Maybe we should develop a Ouija Board addon). The system tester can be like a Skil saw in the hands of a six year old. Out of the box, the system tester promotes curve fitting. As a product manager, I see it as my obligation to improve the tool so that people don't hurt themselves. Out-of-sample testing improves this tool. We don't do that yet in MetaStock. We need to add this capability. When we do, six year olds will keep their hands longer. They won't cut it off until they are an over-confident teenager :-).

Expect great things.

-john

eddie.m  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:44:20 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

delta_fin wrote:
All I want to say if OUT WITH CRAMER, IN WITH EDDIE!

Fantastic - plenty of wisdom in there; with the style of a jester. Love it.
Hi Delta,[:)]
Thank you for your kind words! ... and I have more topics coming ...
John S wrote:
I can't really say I accept your apology, because I've never felt offended in the least. :-).
Expect great things.
-john
Hi John, [:)]

Sure I do expect great things, that's why I insisted on a return to normalcy in the local data issue, issue which I hope it is being handled as we speak.

John S  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:02:25 AM(UTC)
John S

We are addressing it. Local CSV files will be readable by MetaStock 12.0.

--john
delta_fin  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:18:43 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

John,
Any thoughts on when/if intraday data will go back further than 3 months (for us MS 12 Pro users)? It was 1 year on QC, only 3 months on Eikon - so we've got a radical downgrade on a core feature. I've asked this question in several places - but no response from Equis. Surely, us MS12 Pro users don't deserve to be ignored!
John S  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 9:36:17 AM(UTC)
John S

The plan is to increase the intrady history available for 30-min intervals and higher to a full year. I cannot give a specific timeline. It is tentatively set for December this year. However, these dates often slip.

--john

delta_fin  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 11:11:22 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

I appreciate your willingness to give me a non-bureaucratic response.

Longer histories for 30m+ works fine, but December is a LONG way off & quite disappointing. To the extent feedback counts - I'd certainly strongly suggest that MS really needs an upgrade to at least 6m relatively soon. I can't imagine why something like this doesn't take priority over everything else - since this is the core engine for short-term traders, isn't it? And as "Pro" users - shouldn't we get a little priority? Not sure quite how a downgrade to the center piece (with a higher monthly billing) makes very much sense. I can start to see why the old timers have been warning people off this product.

That said, I do appreciate your taking the time to respond.
John S  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 15, 2013 11:34:41 AM(UTC)
John S

We (MetaStock) have limited influence on the datafeed side of things. With that said, know that everyone that works within the charting world at Thomson Reuters (the charting folks working with Eikon/XENITH and us here at MetaStock ) are constantly putting pressure on them to address this.

--john slauson
eddie.m  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:51:49 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

delta_fin wrote:
To the extent feedback counts - I'd certainly strongly suggest that MS really needs an upgrade to at least 6m relatively soon. I can't imagine why something like this doesn't take priority over everything else - since this is the core engine for short-term traders, isn't it? And as "Pro" users - shouldn't we get a little priority? Not sure quite how a downgrade to the center piece (with a higher monthly billing) makes very much sense. I can start to see why the old timers have been warning people off this product.

Hey Delta,

Now let me tell you something. As a former monster day-trader now monster swing trader you need intra-day data only for the past two days, not for the past year.

If you cannot be profitable with data for the past two days, there is nothing in the whole world to make you believe that you will be profitable with data for the past year.

Success means to simplify things, not to complicate them.

Your insistence on the intra-day data topic shows the desperation that takes day-traders nowhere. Perhaps you are on your way out of business without even knowing it.

I am a MS Pro user for a long time as you can see from the picture below, having paid a total of US$2,500 for upgrades over the years but I do not consider it necessary to blackmail Equis.

UserPostedImage

Also, when you feel like posting your comments, think if the other MS forum users really need to know your opinions. So far you did not help anybody here, you contributed no big idea to MetaStock and you gave nothing to this forum or to this thread.
You did not even care to sign with something that comes close to a name! ...

delta_fin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:05:23 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

@ John - appreciate the response. And I'd obviously appreciate all you can do about this.

@ Eddie - for a man of great wisdom, you're a little too presumptuous for your own good! My want for greater data is grounded in my methods. If you want to send me yours, which need 2 days of intraday & apparently come with guaranteed returns till the end of time - feel free to do so. Different strokes for different blokes, old man. I need more data than the 3 months, bc without it - I often lose a degree of precision on the margin. That doesn't impact my ability to be profitable, but it does impact my degree of profitability on the margin.

Data is the core of this product; so as far as I'm concerned - I'm free to whinge about a lack of data - at least as much as you're allowed to whinge about the lack of .csv support. So save your whinging about my whinging, grandpa.
eddie.m  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:49:17 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

Content removed by MetaStock Forum Administration due to MetaStock Forum standards.
ASSAD  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:16:00 AM(UTC)
ASSAD

Hi

MR: John s

This action from equis really going to effect our trading .

you speak about your's plan ...... what about us Mr John s what about our plan ?

we as professional traders depend heavily on intrady chart to execute our trads and our

systems desighned to have at least 1 year intraday data . any thing less than that will ruin our

system . ability to make money with significant degree of confident.

but , since you are not a trader you don't feel the pain . who is care if our systems going to work

or not , so you will continue to cann't give a specific time line ,force us to buy your new

product (Metastock 12) and we will continue pray to god for mercy from equis .

equis , make a a big change , and they donot stop one minute to see how this change going to

effect their customer . this is not their problem . this is their customer problem who have to

adjust their plan , their system, overnight .

for me , and the others who don't have plan (B) , which is another software in their [censored]nal , this

is really our mistake . and equis start to distroy the assurance in their software .

i will continue pray to god to show me the right way , for equis to test their sofrware very well

before release of any new version , to study any potential impact on their customer , to respect

their customers'desire , for mr: john to always give specific time for each of his plan which going

effect our trading , ability to make money and to always remeber time is money .

John S  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:25:43 AM(UTC)
John S

The only thing I can say is that you'll need to do what is best for you and your trading. Taking emotion out of the equation, its really nothing more that a cost/benefit thing. If I told you that there is a 50% probablity that we'll have one year of intraday data by February 1, 2014; 70% by December 2014 and 80% by May 2015 would that help? Then weigh that against the cost (in time and money) of switching to another platform. I wish I could say there is a 100% chance that we'll have more intraday data depth next month, but there'd be a 99% probability of that being 100% improbable

This applies for everyone.....If your trading systems are dependent on more than 3 months of intraday data, you'll need to strongly consider 1) reworking your system; or 2) switching platforms. We don't want your trading to suffer. If you choose #2, then we here as MetaStock will do all we can to win you back sometime in the future.

Expect great things,

--john slauson

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most adaptable to change." --Charles Darwin

John S  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:46:21 AM(UTC)
John S

Gentlemen. Let's keep it civil Passion is a great thing. It tells me your care. I learn a lot about MetaStock's strengths and weaknesses which when I act on results in a better product. With that said, I can tolerate a heavy load of this when directed at an inanimate thing like MetaStock, but not when directed at each other.

Come to this forum and share your insight, opinions, help, and knowledge about MetaStock and trading. Some on this forum have given literally thousands of uncompensated hours to this cause. Throw in some good humor occasionally, but please don't throw stones.

ASSAD  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:42:31 AM(UTC)
ASSAD

Hi

Mr . John

I aplogize , if i threw stone, but believe me i respect you , for your patience , flexibility , and

ability to communicate with us , with out puting barrier which is plus to you mr . john . i know

you have a lot of pressure , in your position . but so we are . so would you please mr , john let

us use metastock (11) until there is sufficient data to run our systems .

Focus on the solution, not the problem. ~Walter Anderson

John S  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 4:25:41 PM(UTC)
John S

Our parent company, Thomson Reuters, is pulling the plug on the QuoteCenter datafeed in June. MetaStock 11.0 EOD with Reuters Datalink will continue to work. All MetaStock Pro versions 11.0 and older will not work after this June.

We've been told that 30-min and higher intervals will likely be extended to a full year by Q1 of next year with the XENITH datafeed.
ASSAD  
#18 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 1:46:12 AM(UTC)
ASSAD

over the previous century,The physicist Albert Einstein introduced his theory

of relativity , in which he suggested that all thing , existed in relation to one another,

nothing stands alone and there are no absolutes . for example , for dark there must be

light , fast exists only in relation to slow . every thing in this live is relative , relativity is

common in our live. so what we find it very important , you may find it unimportant . what

we find it have much influence , may find it not worth serious consideration . when reuter

find that six month to one year is a short period to trad without sufficient intraday data ,

their customers may find like a decade . when reuter find it necessary to shutdown Quote

center , their customers find it unfair ( they change every thing suddenly with out

question ). they forget that a sudden change may have withering effect . on which side , it is

also relative . finally , who determine the justice ?

Assad

jjstein  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:32:58 AM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

John S wrote:
MetaStock 11.0 EOD with Reuters Datalink will continue to work. All MetaStock Pro versions 11.0 and older will not work after this June.

The PRO versions should continue to work -- if used with third-party data vendors. Right?

John S  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:07:17 AM(UTC)
John S

MetaStock Pro doesn't work with 3rd party data vendors. It works with XENITH data only.

--john