logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jim c  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:15:39 AM(UTC)
jim c

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hello. I would like to be able to take a charts data and dump it to excel with just a click or two. I would like to be able to grab all indicators and data on the chart and have it in excel in a workable format. So lets say i have a bollinger band, a simple ma, and an RSI plotted on the chart. I would like to dump all data into excel in a format like (date, O,H,L,C, TOP bb, LOWER bb, mA, RSI) for example. I can currently copy and paste but it also copies the date for each indicator and just requires alot of "clean up" in excel to get it in the example workable format as shown above. I useThompson One at work and it has the actual excel symbol on the toolbar and with one click all data goes into excel in the format described. I would gladly pay someone to design this for me. Or could you recommend someone? Thanks for your time. Jim
jim c  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 8:45:34 AM(UTC)
jim c

I would like to add that this is for EOD data only. I do not need a real time feed or DLL into excel. I simply use this for backtesting daily data. Thanks, Jim
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:04:26 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
There are a few of options:

The first is to keep copying each data item from MS and pasting it into Excel, then using a VBA macro to clean up the data for you. The most inefficient part of this is the actual copying and pasting.

The second is to record some windows macros which will emulate the user actions to copy data from MS and paste it into Excel and then the running of the VBA macro to clean up the data. This is a pretty drawn out way to achieve the aim.

The last suggestion is to have an external function written to output the required data in the required format. Depending on how this is achieved will depend on your requirements; but nonetheless, you will face a limitation, external functions can only receive 9 variables but some data is automatically sent to the function so the user may not need to specify some components.

wabbit [:D]

haddison  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 4:38:29 AM(UTC)
haddison

Hi there

I know I'm a newbie (I only joined today), but I tried selecting the price, volume and indicators all at once using the Shift key and clicking with the mouse. When I went into the menu and selected Edit-> Copy and then pasted in Excel, I only got one column for the date, not several. Don't use the right mouse popup menu because that only selects one indicator- use the menu instead.

I use Metastock EOD 10.0.

HTH

jim c  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:37:08 AM(UTC)
jim c

Thanks for taking the time to reply Wabbit. I appreciate it! Do you know anyone who might be interested in doing something like you recommended in the last answer? My programing skills are , well, non-existent. Thanks for your valuable time. Jim
jim c  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:42:00 AM(UTC)
jim c

Haddison. WOW. That got me so close to what I need I think I can make it work! I never thougth of taking that approach. Awesome! Once the data is in excel it is oldest data at the top....is there an easy way to 'flip" the data in excel so the most current data is on top? Not a MS question but I thought you might know the answer. Thanks again for your time. This is huge for me. I hope I can help out in some way in the future. Jim
jim c  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 7:48:04 AM(UTC)
jim c

Haddison. I got the data to flip. Thanks again for your time. JIm