logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jasonchua  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:48:06 PM(UTC)
jasonchua

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi Patrick, Hope the you can help me by sending or let me download the North America sym file.
Branden Russell  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 5:56:20 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

North America should be built into the symbol database already. You don't need a sym file for it. In the DownLoader from the Tools menu, select Update Symbol Database. Depending on your vendor, it may be split into US and Canada or it may be North American.
jasonchua  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:07:27 PM(UTC)
jasonchua

Hi BRussell, Reuter DataLink and QuoteCenter symbol are different. Patrick do you have all the Reuter DataLink sym files? Hope that you can help me by puting them up for me to download. Thanks
Branden Russell  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:27:33 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

I realize the symbols are different. That is why I said depending on your vendor. Reuters DataLink, QCharts, eSignal, and QuoteCenter all have North American stocks built in. All but QuoteCenter call it US and Canada. QuoteCenter calls it North American.
jasonchua  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 6:50:15 PM(UTC)
jasonchua

Hi BRussell, Can you help me to solve my problem. Currently my computer is install with MetaStock Pro 9.1 QuoteCenter. As Reuter DataLink & QuoteCenter symbol are different I am unable to download data from Reuters DataLink as I do not have the sym file that have all the Reuter DataLink US stocks symbols. Hope that Equis can solve this problem as I belive other MetaStock user will and have face the same problem that I'm having now.
Branden Russell  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:10:14 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

Oh, I think I see your problem now. You have QuoteCenter and Reuters DataLink as your vendor? Equis support may have a work around for you, but you will have to contact them to find out. This is the best solution I can think of for you, but support may have something better. I believe MetaStock and the DownLoader look at the same symbol database location (which is specified in the DownLoader under Tools | Options | File Locations ). So, you could install MetaStock for QuoteCenter and DownLoader for Reuters DataLink (which you can request from support). Then you could download EOD data in the DownLoader and real time data in MetaStock. The problem is that (if I remember correctly) they look at the same location. Solution to that is: MetaStock looks at the symbol database file every time it opens, not any time again while it is running. The DownLoader looks at the symbol database file every time you change the Type or Group drop downs in the Symbol Lookup dialog. So, you could open MetaStock with the QuoteCenter database location specified. Then, in the DownLoader, specify the Reuters DataLink symbol database location (just pick a location, Update Symbol Database to get the DataLink symbols).
jasonchua  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:23:05 PM(UTC)
jasonchua

Hi BRussell, Yes you are right I have both QuoteCenter and Reuters DataLink as my data vendor. Hope that Equis can solve my problem and I also belive there are some MetaStock user have the same problem too. For those who just only know how to use MetaStock and don't know how to config it they can't solve it at all. If Equis can have a patch file to fix this problem will be the best.
Branden Russell  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:29:14 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

There isn't a patch. I have a better solution than my previous post though. This gets rid of having to change the symbol database location every time you want to look at the other vendor. Have 9.1 MetaStock and Downloader installed for QuoteCenter. Contact Equis support and they will get you Downloader 8 for Reuters DataLink. The different versions can have different folders so 9.1 will be QuoteCenter and the 8 will be Reuters DataLink.
StorkBite  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:40:14 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
If you are mainly talking about stocks (at least N American stocks) then you can use the QC symbol list and create the symbol by stripping the prefix i.e., "us;" and create it in the Downloader for Datalink to update. In that sense, you can search the QC database tfor whatever you are looking for. The symbols that will give you trouble are the BM indicators and some funds and notes. For the most part, those symbols are available in the QC documentation. I don't know what everyone is doing, but there was a lot of folks using Datalink for EOD and QC for RT in the beginning. I'm still going that route. It works pretty good.
hayseed  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 1:32:08 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jason..... i am obviously are missing something here..... qc and reuters and even esignal all should work hand in hand.... the same data base should work with all 3 ..... there should be no switching between....... esignal does send volume differently but the data base is the same..... you should be able to download from qc today and esignal tommorrow using the same data folders.... just remember the volume discrepancy...... the only difference is in the qc real time including the 'us;' , but that should not interfere with nitely reuters downloads..... there is one minor difference in data suppliers, with no work around, the broad market data and indices.... the only solution is to have seperate folders for each data supplier..... that no big deal, its only a couple small folders....... i am curious of how did you establish the data [color=blue:001f349c95]'folders'[/color] your using now...... was it with a historical cd.... was it qc version 9.1 historical cd or perhaps version 9..... if 9, do you by chance still have that historical cd, the one that came with version 9..... do the securities in your local data folders, the ones you use offline, contain the us; prefix.... building data [color=blue:001f349c95]'folders'[/color] is easy the second time..... i ever few months completely rebuild from scratch and never use the supplied cd, as it contains too much that has no interest to me.... my folders are streamlined and purpose built type..... here are the sym files and instructions, have quite a few more if you need them.......h edited for clarity, changed data [color=red:001f349c95]'base' [/color]to data [color=blue:001f349c95]'folders'[/color], meaning local data folders....
hayseed  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:27:00 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey brussell.... unless i'm mistaken the 'update symbol list' option is only used to update the symbol list used for realtime quotes/charts..... it should have no effect on the local data folders used for nitely downloading.......h
Branden Russell  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:55:17 AM(UTC)
Branden Russell

hayseed wrote:
hey brussell.... unless i'm mistaken the 'update symbol list' option is only used to update the symbol list used for realtime quotes/charts..... it should have no effect on the local data folders used for nitely downloading.......h
You are somewhat mistaken. Update Symbol Database updates the symbol database. It updates the list of symbols you see in MetaStock under the vendor button or in the DownLoader in Symbol Lookup. It isn't only for realtime symbols. It is also for Reuters Datalink which is EOD. No, it doesn't have any effect on folders or symbols you create on your hard drive.
hayseed  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:22:14 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey brussell.... my error, shouldn't have used such a restrictive term as 'only'..... its possible i made some changes to meta, can't remember any, but i never experierenced any troubles with using multiple vendors.... qc, reuters, or esignal..... downloading was simple and painless..... i'm back to version 9 now using esginal and reuters now but qc worked fine with reuters..... again, i might have adjusted something, more than likely i am missunderstanding jason's delimea......h
Branden Russell  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:55:39 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

The problem is QC puts the country code in front of the symbol. If your default country code is us;, then us; isn't needed in the symbol, but the Symbol Database will always include the country code. So, if you create the symbols without the country code and that is your default country code, then you don't need it to download data. Which can make RD US stock symbols work for QC, but not the other way around unless you are removing the us; off each symbol. However, if you have the country code specified in the symbol, then Reuters DataLink won't recognize it. With a QC version of the Downloader, you're going to get QC symbols (with country code) and they won't be able to download with RD. The work around is to have a 9.1 version of QC MetaStock and the Downloader and an 8.0 version of RD the Downloader. Then you can have two symbol databases and can create the correct symbols that you need.
StorkBite  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:39:46 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Quote:
i'm back to version 9 now using esginal and reuters now but qc worked fine with reuters
Hey H- Whay did you drop the QC feed in favor of eSignal?
hayseed  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:25:36 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey g.... always had esignal also..... the reason for now 2 would best be sent pm style..... its comin at ya......h
hayseed  
#37 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2006 12:24:44 PM(UTC)
hayseed

well, had to go back and reinstall qc 9.1 to figure out why there was no problem with multiple vendors for me.... version 9 and version 9.1 are in several ways incompatible.... i'll start believing obstacles can't be overcome the day they start building dams without spillways..... will post it better later.....h
Branden Russell  
#38 Posted : Friday, March 24, 2006 2:55:52 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

hayseed wrote:
well, had to go back and reinstall qc 9.1 to figure out why there was no problem with multiple vendors for me.... version 9 and version 9.1 are in several ways incompatible.... i'll start believing obstacles can't be overcome the day they start building dams without spillways..... will post it better later.....h
If you're different vendors aren't the same version, that is why you didn't have problems. It is the same solution I am pointing out to use. You can install and use different versions seperatly