logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trendsca  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 11:49:02 AM(UTC)
trendsca

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi, I am using MetaStock Version 9. My question: how can I use MS 9 scan (i.e., using the Explorer) subfolders of data? Right now I have my third party downloader download thousands of stock symbols into one folder and select all symbols in that folder to scan. But in the future, I may upgrade to MS 12, and now that offline data and thirdy party data are not allowed, I wonder if my Explorers will be able to scan datalink online subfolders? I don't want to scan folder A, then B, then C... all the way to Z, I just want one quick scan for the universe of stocks - somebody can help me here? Does MetaStock (old and latest versions) allow one to scan subfolders? Thanks a lot!
jjstein  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 6:55:23 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In any Exploration, you must select the securites to scan. If they are in different folders, then you pick a folder, hit CTRL-A, click the ADD SECURITES button, then select another folder, etc. If you do this when you edit the Exporation, I believe it will remember the list -- at least, until the list changes.

I would expect online folders to work the same way.

Skywatcher  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:59:02 PM(UTC)
Skywatcher

Hi, just upgraded to MstockPro12. Can scan all stocks listed on Toronto exchanges with one scan. Just select the exchange you want, click "all" and you're away. No folders,security files, etc as in MstockPro11 Huge improvement
trendsca  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 12:40:35 AM(UTC)
trendsca

For the US exchanges, does MS 12 allow one to select all of them and scan all US stocks with one click? Also, since data will be in the cloud, I assume it takes significant more time to do a scan as the data has to be tranmitted over the net - can someone speak of that? Thanks.
John S  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:31:42 AM(UTC)
John S

Yes. You can select all stocks by exchange, index consituents, industry/sector constituents, and more. You can also create custom lists that blend constituents from multiple lists.

Exploring data online (or on the cloud to use the latest buzzword) is slower that exploring local. However if you factor in the time it takes to download and maintain local data, it will be faster overall for many common workflows.

--john
trendsca  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 2:24:30 AM(UTC)
trendsca

Thanks for the replies. So it seems to me that ccanning recent data will be OK. What about historical data, I have purchased a historical US database with data going back to 1950 with all the delisted stocks. I rely on MetaStock to do all the historical research. With this Version 12 upgrade, no such historical research can be done, what a shame! MetaStock team, are you listening, please bring back the ability to read local data! At least give the option to do that, or a plug-in for a fee enabling one to read local third party data! Being open is what have made MS the industry standard! You don't want to go backwards!
tonythekiwi  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2024 6:20:28 AM(UTC)
tonythekiwi

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Not sure if anybody is still having issues with this aspect of the 'Explorer' (i.e. Unable to 'Add Securities' from all folders "A - Z").

This is easy to work around - to select all the folders (A-Z) in your data you need to select the 'MASTER-FOLDER' (i.e. Local Disk C / Metastock Data / [e.g. ASX Data] or whatever data set your interested in.

If you click on this 'MASTER-Folder' then this will enable the selection drop-down arrow on the 'OPEN' button. Once you click this arrow you will see the option "Open Folder Content". Job done.

thanks 1 user thanked tonythekiwi for this useful post.
MS Support on 6/18/2024(UTC)