logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
s1nbad  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 8:39:23 AM(UTC)
s1nbad

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I've just spent considerable time getting my Metastock Community working correctly only to find that it seems hardly used. Can people tell me why? Is it a new feature that hasn't taken off or too difficult to use? Its a lonely place in there and it seems such a waste. :?
Marilyn  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 3:16:46 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

In the early days of the community there were some stability issues. I had organized a number of 'events' where trading experts would come in, talk about their trading ideas and then take questions. Unfortunately when I had a lot of people on at one time it would 'crash'. For instance... I had John Bollinger at one stage... there were about 60 people who were able to connect but with the additional amount trying to connect the software died and kicked everyone out. :oops: Needless to say it was embarassing.... I tried on three occasions.. I actually had a schedule set up for about 6 months.. someone new every 3 or 4 weeks. After crashing out 3 times I said "NO MORE" and Patrick jumped in to help sort out the stability issues. Since that time I have been a little pre-occupied with other things (sorry) like getting this forum approved (though you will notice that most of the hard work has been done by Patrick) and other facets of my 'normal' job. So - Do you want me to have 'events' in chat to try and bring it back to life??? I was actually going to wait until the chat was part of the forum and then think about something to promote it. Have any ideas?? :) Marilyn
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 5:00:11 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey Marilyn- I think that promotions sound great. My concern is that there doesn't seem to be a consensus on how the chat should be enabled. I think Patrick is working his butt off trying to implement skype, messenger, aol, etc. Maybe there needs to be a focus... or set up a web cam so we can watch Patrick performing his duties as ring master! :P Like s1, I have spent a lot of time waiting for someone- anyone- to log into the community chat. I have had some very good chats and have learned a bunch, but it is sporadic. Maybe instead of trying to integrate a chat function into MS, it would be more useful to create a link to the chat room on the forums. It would have to pick up the traffic on the forums too! I'm thinking that it would be more useful to implement some sort of 'white board' chat room than worry too much about voice chats. Once the basic chat room is established, add voice as an option. I mean really, if you are talking about 60 people online at the same time, how many can talk at the same time? :) Back in the old days before the internet, I used to log onto bulletin boards where tons of people would be engaged in white board type chats. It was great. Today with so many more options available, it just dilutes the potential participants. My vote is to pick a chat program... just one... and implement it. Get it going with a growing participant list and then look at future options.
Marilyn  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 5:11:32 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

Great feedback. :) I think that the MS community chat would be the chat we are enabling on the forum (Patrick.. correct me if I am wrong) so basically we are just enabling it outside of MetaStock itself. When you log into the MS chat at the moment it has a little message saying to check out our forum :).. We can't really send the Community button to the forum directly because it takes programming resource and at the moment it is just Patrick and I working on this baby. Once more people have access to the MSchat it I will look at getting people up there. Personally - I like the forum best... :) It has been a struggle getting here (just getting it approved for creation) and then getting people up here. It is very rewarding for me to see it actually help everyone. So - it will probably be my favorite baby for a while to come... but you may find me chatting when that gets going.... we'll see. :)
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 10:04:53 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Skype is not meant to replace the Chat ... It is just another way for people to talk together ... And wabbit asked for it :D It did not take me that much time to implement the extra field. My main concern is the Forum ... I will try to do what I can to help with the chat but I'm too busy to promise a solution anytime soon. Give me a a few weeks and we will talk about it again. Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 10:11:21 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
There's no doubt about it- you are quite handy... and abundantly generous! <whisper: can I have my five bucks now?> :D I just don't want to see you run around like a chicken... but then again... Where is that web cam? :P
Marilyn  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 10:19:27 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

MMmmmmm.... chicken. :lol: Yeah - full credit to Patrick. He does TONS around here.
Patrick  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 10:20:14 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
=; ... I already gave you the five bucks ... :lol: You would not like watching what I do all day ... A sql report here , pull out a databse list there, change something on the website, check server logs, import web logs, play with the forum ... Surf soccer websites to see who my team's new players are :oops: