logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jose  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2007 10:45:58 PM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In addition to my posts in the Equis Forum, many MetaStock users may know my work trough numerous posts in other forums including the Yahoo! equismetastock usergroup, where I have been posting code solutions for years. Unfortunately I am not able to post at the equismetastock usergroup any longer, as the moderator (Preston Umrysh) has seen fit to block and delete my posts at will. This is a sad turn of events for the MetaStock community, as there are no other MetaStock experts that are willing to give their scarce and valuable time to the equismetastock usergroup. I am not even able to post an explanation there as to why my posts are no longer available, nor can I post any redirection to where usergroup members may now seek my help. You may ask, what is behind the moderator's extreme actions? Here is a recent example:
Quote:
----- Original Message ----- From: (name withheld) Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Weekly CCI Does anyone have the Metastock code for a weekly 13-Bar CCI that can be plotted on a daily chart? Thanks, [censored] Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Weekly CCI Hi [censored] Off list I've sent you two Weekly CCI formulas for EOD charts. The formulas and commentary about construction of a Weekly CCI will also be included in the May issue of MSTT. Regards Roy
My reply, which was stopped and deleted by the usergroup moderator:
Quote:
Roy, wouldn't it be more useful to share your solution here, so that usergroup members may also benefit?
I do not believe this innocuous post requires any moderation. Could there be a personal agenda behind the moderator's authoritarian censorship? Putting aside the obvious point that Mr Larsen's post was a blatant advertisement for his monthly pdf letter, there may be another issue involved in the moderator's poor judgement to protect his friend. It might be interesting to note that all of Mr Roy Larsen's weekly formulae for daily charts in MetaStock require the use of my accurate calendar week counter indicator. This may be something that Mr Larsen may not be particularly keen to advertise - did anyone else notice the evolving nature or Mr Roy Larsen's website's brand over the last 20 months? From "MetaStock Tips and Tricks", to "MetaStock Tips and Tools", and currently MetaStockTips.com, which is a close as one would want to get to MetaStockTools.com without getting sued. One wonders what's next - maybe MetaStools.com? A door shuts and another one opens. If you have any MetaStock issue that other forum members (here or in the usergroup) cannot help with, you are most welcome to post your MetaStock query at the new Trader's Consortium MetaStock forum, where I will personally take a good look at your request and offer a quality solution, as demonstrated in this unique example complete with a chart and setup file. See you at TC soon! jose '-)
Jose  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:14:38 AM(UTC)
Jose

Follow up. EquisMetaStock usergroup members are beginning to ask about my whereabouts. This post is one of the few hat have managed to get past the moderator's censorship there. One would think that the usergroup moderator (Preston Umrysh, a member of this and other MetaStock forums) would have the decency to explain that I cannot post there any longer. He must really think that when the group's sole resident MetaStock expert goes awol, members will just shrug their shoulders an carry on... Several other usergroup members who are in the know are also attempting to explain that I am not able to post there any longer, but the moderator continues to block and delete all their posts, all in the name of attempting to save personal face. In the meantime, Mr Preston is under the delusion that he can quietly slip into the s[censored]s of a MetaStock expert. Here is a recent example, where he attempts to emulate MACDH Divergence with some basic MS code, but instead shows that he is totally unaware of the hindsight nature of MetaStock's correlation function. If you are a member of the EquisMetaStock usergroup, I would be grateful if you would please try and advice other members that I am not able to post there any longer. Even though your post is likely to be stopped, your gesture to help our MetaStock community is greatly appreciated. A reminder that my advanced MetaStock support may now be found at the Trader's Consortium MetaStock forum. jose
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:38:11 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)

The ultimate goal of any community should be to promote and share ideas and resources. There is nothing wrong with the concept of moderator-approval forums, but they certainly aren't for everyone. We all have different learning/teaching styles... that's ok.

Really, we don't need to lose another valuable MetaStock community resource over style differences. Trader's Consortium is essentially a member-moderated, administerator-guided forum. It is not a replacement for the EquisMetaStock usergroup. It seems reasonable to me that Jose is worried about maintaining continunity with MetaStock consumers following his move to the Trader's Consortium forum. Perhaps Preston would be willing to post a forwarding address for Jose on the EquisMetaStock usergroup. It's not personal, and it's the right thing to do.

I echo Jose's request to the MetaStock consumers to spread the word that he is still very much active and willing to continue sharing his vast knowledgebase with us.

pumrysh  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 4:34:54 PM(UTC)
pumrysh

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I had hoped not to aire dirty laundry in public but since Silva has chosen this tactic I will defend my actions.

In the later part of December 2006 Silva had made some derogatory comments about others which were totally uncalled for. At that time he was asked to apologize. He would not. As a matter of fact he tried to make out that he was justified in ridiculing others since he was the annointed saviour of all metastock programmers.

While I have given him kudos for his programming abilities, in public I might add, I find it unconscionable that he would persist in chiding others with total disregard for their feelings. It is extremely disruptive to contend with such childish antics, especially in a public forum.

Finally, I had enough and Silva was sent to timeout. This is not the first time that this has happened to him as I am aware of at least two other groups which he has been thrown out of in just the last six months.

This is not about style differences. Quite simply this about an arrogant obserd little boy who needs to realize that people are human and that he needs to grow up. If Silva was so concerned about maintaining his consumers then maybe he should have given a little thought to his childish antics.

I certainly apologize to the Metastock community for having to put up with such ridiculousness. As I stated at the beginning I had no desire to aire this in public.

Preston

Jose  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2007 3:32:22 AM(UTC)
Jose

Well, the first thing that strikes me about the difference between a relatively professionally-run forum such as this one, and a personally controlled mailing list such as the Yahoo! equismetastock usergroup, is that different views are allowed to be aired here, something that is no longer possible at the usergroup.
pumrysh wrote:
I had hoped not to aire dirty laundry in public but since Silva has chosen this tactic I will defend my actions.
Honestly, did Mr Umrysh really think that he could secretly oust the only resident MetaStock expert from the usergroup, and that no members would then notice the missing support? And how can he possibly defend his other actions, such as the squashing of other members's posts on this issue?
Quote:
In the later part of December 2006 Silva had made some derogatory comments about others.
Well, I guess we'll never know, since Mr Umrysh has blocked and deleted my posts. And if he happens to be talking about my expose of Roy Larsen's MSTT "silent" associate, Jim C. Triplett (who is not the big trader that he claims to be, but a rather sad case of a retired car salesman with a large ego, who was granted bankruptcy in the Iowa courts on 08/23/2005), then an apology is certainly not forthcoming.
Quote:
As a matter of fact he tried to make out that he was justified in ridiculing others since he was the annointed saviour of all metastock programmers.
Goodness! So this is what is all about, some sort of MetaStock-related envy?
Quote:
Finally, I had enough and Silva was sent to timeout.
Finally, you are sadly mistaken, Mr Umrysh. All you have done is put some personal issues well ahead of the MetaStock community's needs. Attempting to cover your actions by deleting other usergroup members' posts is not conducive to the actions of a mature person, and does little to foster the free exchange of ideas within the MetaStock community.
Quote:
This is not the first time that this has happened to him as I am aware of at least two other groups which he has been thrown out of in just the last six months.
For your information, I have been "thrown out" of Roy Larsen's mailing list for obvious reasons. Incidentaly, Mr Larsen has been thrown out of the URSC toolkit usergroup, mostly due to his continuing attempts to plagiarize my copyright MetaStock code, such as with his current attempt at "re-engineering" my accurate calendar week counter indicator.
Quote:
This is not about style differences.
Obviously not. This is about allowing Mr Umrysh's personal problems to spill over into the MetaStock community.
Quote:
I certainly apologize to the Metastock community for having to put up with such ridiculousness.
Unfortunately, apologies are not enough. Perhaps it is time for Mr Pumrysh to take a much-needed break and hand over the reins of the equismetastock usergroup to someone less dictatorial, and see if this action results in a positive impact within the MetaStock community. Should the Metastock programming community begin to crumble without Mr Pumrysh's "oversight", only then should he reclaim "ownership" (preferably stewardship) of the group. Jose Silva
mstt  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:39:04 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

I’m saddened that Jose has felt it necessary to use this forum to highlight his conflicts with others in the MetaStock community – especially since this is one of the few forums that still accord him posting privileges. I wish I didn’t have to reply to his provocative and misleading assertions but there is a clear need for the facts to be spelt out.

With at least 8 years of offering help to the "EquisMetaStock" Yahoo group I don’t think it’s any concern of Jose’s whom I choose to help and whom I choose not to. Those that were genuinely interested in my Weekly CCI indicator took the trouble to write to me and were given it with no questions asked. Those that weren’t interested didn’t have to suffer through an exchange of unwanted and unnecessary group posts.

Most of my weekly formulas currently use Jose’s "Calendar Week counter" indicator. All relevant weekly formulas on my website acknowledge this fact so it’s obviously not something I’m trying to hide. In due course my weekly counter will be incorporated directly into my weekly formulas to eliminate the overhead of an Fml() call. Acknowledgment will be given only if I deem it to be appropriate – not because of any posturing by Jose.

Was my post to the Yahoo group advertising something? Of course it was, just as the four links provided in the post that began this thread are advertising something. So what?

My reason for changing from using "Tricks" to "Tools" in the MSTT brand is probably obvious to most people. I chose not to see the problem with "Tricks" at first but finally had to admit that I got it wrong and that a change was necessary. metastocktips.co.nz was registered almost 3 years ago at the same time as metastocktips.com. The dot com URL was linked to the NZ website at that time but has seldom been used. Obviously this happened quite some time before Jose’s Pegasus site evolved into MetaStockTools.com. Given the timing of these events it would have been rather difficult for me to copy anything from Jose when deciding on a website name for MSTT. Readers can draw their own conclusions as to what inspired the name metastocktools.com.

Preston Umrysh is someone I’m proud to call a friend. He’s one of the nicest and most unassuming men I’ve had the privilege of corresponding with on the internet. As a group moderator myself I’m aware of the sort of unpleasantness that he has had to deal with from time to time. I know from personal experience that some of that unpleasantness has been generated by Jose. Here’s a man who cannot admit when he is wrong and never apologizes. Can anyone remember him saying "you’re right and I’m wrong"? It doesn’t happen! At least we can be thankful to him for showing us glimpses of his real character and out-of-control ego via this thread.

Jose accuses my friend Jim of all kinds of things, none of which are true. The name is not right. Jim has never lived in Iowa, never come close to selling used cars and never faced bankruptcy. Jim has been an incredible mentor to me over several years, and he has never accepted one cent from me for the hundreds or even thousands of hours of work he has put into MSTT on my behalf. The false claims about Jim (that Jose has repeated in this thread) were instrumental in getting him removed from the private MSTT group. Does he seriously believe that character assassination is his right and carries no consequences?

As it happens I removed myself from the URSC group – I was not thrown out as Jose alleges. The reaction from Jose was disturbing, but not a far stretch from the venting we’re seeing from him now.

Several years ago Jose and I made an informal (gentleman’s?) agreement to share code and coding ideas. Perhaps Jose’s memory is failing him because he now calls me a plagiarist for using some of "his" ideas in my code. What he conveniently forgets is that many code ideas in his own formulas (both free and commercial) were introduced to the MetaStock community by myself and others. Acknowledgement of these ideas is non-existent so let’s see "the House of Jose" put in order as a first conciliatory step. A copyright symbol does not automatically accord rights of ownership to either the code or the underlying ideas and concepts.

A weekly counter is a simple device for counting days in a series of years, and then dividing the result by 7 after making an adjustment for leap years. Claiming ownership and exclusive rights of this concept is akin to claiming ownership of 2+2=4. There are only a limited number of ways a weekly counter can be coded in MetaStock so it’s inevitable that there will be similarities between Jose’s code and anyone else’s.

It’s informative that Jose should accuse me of "re-engineering" his weekly calendar counter indicator. The Weekly CCI code, presented publicly for the first time below, is the only indicator I currently have that integrates a weekly counter directly into the timing module. Jose could only have known what was in this formula if he obtained it by illicit means!

{Weekly CCI}

{2003-2007 Roy Larsen}

{User settings}

Q:=Input("Weekly CCI Mode, 0=Static 1=Dynamic 2=Delayed",0,2,1);

{0, update at last bar of current frame}

{1, update on each new bar}

{2, update on first bar of new frame}

N:=Input("Weeks",3,25,13);

{Timing module for weekly frames}

A:=DayOfWeek();Y:=Year()-1900;

B:=Y*365+Int(Y/4)-1;M:=Month();

M:=DayOfMonth()+(M>1)*31+(M>2)*28+

(M>3)*31+(M>4)*30+(M>5)*31+(M>6)*30+

(M>7)*31+(M>8)*31+(M>9)*30+(M>10)*31+

(M>11)*30-(M<3)*(Frac(Y/4)=0)*(Y>0);

I:=Int((B+M)/7);I:=I-ValueWhen(2,1,I);

G:=LastValue(Highest(Sum(A=5,5))=5);M:=G+I;

F:=G+(M=0 AND PeakBars(1,A,1)=0);

A:=LastValue(Cum(1)-1)=Cum(1);B:=Alert(A,2)*(A=0);

J:=If(F,1,If(Alert(F,2)=0 AND M,2,0));

J:=If(A+LastValue(J)>2 OR B+(Q=1)=2,1,J);

J:=If(G,1,If(Q=2 OR Cum(J)<=1,M*2,J));

{Prices for weekly frames}

Hw:=HighestSince(1,M,H);

Hw:=ValueWhen(1,J,If(J=1,Hw,ValueWhen(2-G,1,Hw)));

Lw:=LowestSince(1,M,L);

Lw:=ValueWhen(1,J,If(J=1,Lw,ValueWhen(2-G,1,Lw)));

K:=ValueWhen(1,J,If(J=1,C,ValueWhen(2-G,1,C)));

Hw:=ValueWhen(1,Hw>0,Hw);

Lw:=ValueWhen(1,Lw>0,Lw); Tw:=(Hw+Lw+K)/3;

{Calculate and plot Weekly CCI}

M:=Cum((J>0)*Tw); Ma:=(M-ValueWhen(N+1,J,M))/N;

Md:=(Abs(Ma-Tw)+Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(2,J,Tw))+

Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(3,J,Tw))+(N>3)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(4,J,Tw))+

(N>4)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(5,J,Tw))+(N>5)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(6,J,Tw))+

(N>6)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(7,J,Tw))+(N>7)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(8,J,Tw))+

(N>8)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(9,J,Tw))+(N>9)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(10,J,Tw))+

(N>10)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(11,J,Tw))+(N>11)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(12,J,Tw))+

(N>12)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(13,J,Tw))+(N>13)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(14,J,Tw))+

(N>14)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(15,J,Tw))+(N>15)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(16,J,Tw))+

(N>16)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(17,J,Tw))+(N>17)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(18,J,Tw))+

(N>18)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(19,J,Tw))+(N>19)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(20,J,Tw))+

(N>20)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(21,J,Tw))+(N>21)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(22,J,Tw))+

(N>22)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(23,J,Tw))+(N>23)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(24,J,Tw))+

(N>24)*Abs(Ma-ValueWhen(25,J,Tw)))/N;

(Tw-Ma)/(Md*0.015);

The "Calendar Week counter" I use in MetaStock is reproduced below, and below that is the weekly counter module extracted from my "Weekly CCI" formula. Both formulas accurately do what they’re intended to – count, adjust, divide and output a result. I’m inclined to think that my weekly counter module owes more to the Vatican and Equis than it does to Jose.

{Calendar Week counter}

{Week counter from 1/1/0001, Gregorian calendar}

{count is independent of any missing chart data}

{©Copyright 2003 Jose Silva}

{josesilva22@yahoo.com}

limit:=Input("Start Year",1,2100,2000);

LimLeap:=Frac(limit/4)=0 AND Frac(limit/100)<>0

OR Frac(limit/400)=0;

NoCount:=limit*365+Int(limit/4)

-Int(limit/100)+Int(limit/400)-LimLeap;

leap:=Frac(Year()/4)=0 AND Frac(Year()/100)<>0

OR Frac(Year()/400)=0;

y:=Year()*365+Int(Year()/4)

-Int(Year()/100)+Int(Year()/400)-NoCount;

m:=

If(Month()=2,31-leap,

If(Month()=3,59,

If(Month()=4,90,

If(Month()=5,120,

If(Month()=6,151,

If(Month()=7,181,

If(Month()=8,212,

If(Month()=9,243,

If(Month()=10,273,

If(Month()=11,304,

If(Month()=12,334,

-leap)))))))))));

DayNr:=y+m+DayOfMonth();

WkCount:=Int((DayNr-1)/7)+(Year()>=limit);

WkChange:=WkCount<>ValueWhen(2,1,WkCount);

WkCount;

{weekly counter module}

A:=DayOfWeek();Y:=Year()-1900;

B:=Y*365+Int(Y/4)-1;M:=Month();

M:=DayOfMonth()+(M>1)*31+(M>2)*28+

(M>3)*31+(M>4)*30+(M>5)*31+(M>6)*30+

(M>7)*31+(M>8)*31+(M>9)*30+(M>10)*31+

(M>11)*30-(M<3)*(Frac(Y/4)=0)*(Y>0);

I:=Int((B+M)/7);I:=I-ValueWhen(2,1,I);

Jose has been quick to heap scorn on Preston (and all other members of the EquisMetaStock group) by describing him as an aspiring MetaStock expert. Jose’s skills in that area might be above average, but portraying himself as "the only resident MetaStock expert" is a large stretch of the imagination. Instead of criticizing others for their perceived misdeeds he should instead be looking at serious issues much closer to home.

Roy

MetaStock Tips & Tools

StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:55:08 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)

I am heart sunken and hope that one day our community leaders will be able to work together again. Preston, Roy, Jose, and many others stand out as entheauseists with a common zeal for helping average consumers such as myself. We look up to you all.