i'm a returning user to MS and some things have changed. i don't doubt these things are easy fixes but i can't get it. the intro videos i watch fail me at step one. what she does first is not available to me, far as i can tell. i don't have local data and can't find data on demand. using MS 13 EOD.
1) i can't open a chart (SPY for example) without it plotting the trades from a previous exploration on there. just want a fresh SPY (or any other chart that was included in any exploration) without the trades showing up. see example A.
2) in the explorer or charts tabs, i can't see the names of securities. see example B. the security highlighted in blue appears to be the sept 14 emini s&p contract, but as today is november 9th i don't understand why it's still listed. if i could see the security names, maybe i could readily find what i'm looking for. ctrl+scroll wheel and changing screen resolution doesn't help.
3) for futures, all i'm really after is continuous contracts so i don't have to update them each expiration. without being able to see the names, how's it even possible to update them anyway? i cannot find an up to date security naming convention or list for MS 13. all i have found is a couple year old list for quote center. don't know how to tell if that's relevant to me or not. tried what it says and can't get anywhere. it is annoying beyond words that i can't plot a sugar #11 continuous (or any other futures) chart.
4) some stocks have multiple listings. see example C. the 5 stocks checked are all versions of Arbor Realty. how do i know which one is the Arbor Realty that is quoted on the news, for instance? I just want the one version that the vast majority of people associate with Arbor Realty, without checking all of them for trading volume and more legwork to find the only one that people care about.
realizing i'm well behind the 8-ball here, i very much appreciate any help with my troubles. thank you all very much and i look forward to a positive resolution to these issues.
And now i'm finding out i don't know how to upload the pics i referenced in the text. oh boy, off to a bad start.
Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your Discussions forum accountor Register a new forum account.
2. With Continuous Contracts, the Instrument Name displayed in the "Chart" Title Bar is pulled from the Instrument List. Continuous contracts will display the month they were tracking at the time the Instrument List was updated (we update these lists monthly). This means that if your instrument list was updated in September and this was also the contract month that ESc1 was tracking, then the contract name would display September even if ESc1 is now tracking December. The "Inner Window" Title Bar actually pulls the name from the data we receive when retrieving the price data, which is why the Inner Window will display the proper contract month while the chart title bar is reliant on your Instrument List being up-to-date. Ultimately we may change the Chart Title bar to update like the Inner Window Title Bar does.
You may want to update your Instrument List via: https://metastockpublics...InstrumentListSetup2.exe
3. See above for updating your instrument list. Also be advised that as above the "c1" contracts are accurately tracking the current contract months that have not yet expired, regardless of what the Chart Title Bar shows or the Power Console shows as the contract month. The "Inner Window" title bar should always display the contract currently being tracked.
Edited by user Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:33:09 PM(UTC)
| Reason: Not specified
Thank you very much. This has helped quite a bit.
I do still wonder if there is a way to see the security name in the drop down menu. In my experience, it's pretty rare the full name is visible. It seems unnecessarily frustrating. After all, why would you make the security names so long if it's never possible to see them? Is there a setting I can change or something similar?
On an issue of greater concern, is there a way to make a custom symbol? I'm specifically talking about Forex pairs here but if it's possible, I'd use it elsewhere too. Any of the pairs that include USD don't show USD as part of the pair. That wouldn't matter if USD was always either the base or the quote. Ex: The EUR is always the base in the pairs of majors and cross rates. The JPY is always the quote with the majors and cross rates.
Not showing if the USD is the base or the quote also seems completely unnecessary. Trading is fast paced and having to stop to double check that I'm correctly placing USD within a given pair seems so pointless. Is there a valid reason for not listing it? Is there a situation I'm not aware of?
I'd be perfectly happy if I can create custom symbols for the handful of pairs I trade that contain USD. Can you please instruct me on how to do that?
Would it be too much of a problem to simply add USD to the spot market pairs? I'm assuming the most obvious and easiest solution won't happen or you would've listed USD in there in the first place but this is certainly the preferred solution.
I thank you in advance for all your help. Good day and have a terrific Holiday Season!!
The symbol format is controlled by Thomson Reuters. While we can make requests for things like this, these RICs (Reuters Instrument Codes) are used all over their products and it is unlikely this will change without a strong business reason to do so, since it would ultimately cause a lot of confusion for their clients who have gotten used to things working a certain way.
Edited by user Friday, December 5, 2014 4:35:09 PM(UTC)
| Reason: Not specified
Hi I am looking for some basic Metastock DC help in Australia to help me to do some basic filtering and write very simple indicators possibly. Happy to pay by the hour but I do need someone who can give me a tax invoice.
Cant seem to find anyone online who can do this.. not looking for anything complicated just basic have looked at all the online stuff but I want some specific help.