logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CostaMikka  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 10:17:56 AM(UTC)
CostaMikka

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi team,

I'm looking to move all data from an existing MetaStock 17 install to a new PC and am facing the following 2 issues which I was hoping to get some assistance with:

- local data lists copied to the new install appear in the instrument list under Custom List Manager, but have 0 instruments associated / are empty.

- Have copied SmartCharts from/to folder C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Innovative Market Analysis\MetaStock\17.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart, but am unsure how to access these SmartCharts in the new install

Have spent hours attempting to fix this to no avail, so really appreciate any help!

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 2:17:30 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CostaMikka Go to Quoted Post

Hi team,

I'm looking to move all data from an existing MetaStock 17 install to a new PC and am facing the following 2 issues which I was hoping to get some assistance with:

- local data lists copied to the new install appear in the instrument list under Custom List Manager, but have 0 instruments associated / are empty.

- Have copied SmartCharts from/to folder C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Innovative Market Analysis\MetaStock\17.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart, but am unsure how to access these SmartCharts in the new install

Have spent hours attempting to fix this to no avail, so really appreciate any help!

Hi,

For the Local Data Lists, did you move the locally stored data folders to the new PC as well? What you're describing is typical of when the list is unable to see the actual data folder in the expected folder location.

For Smart Charts, this should typically be all that is necessary to access the existing smart charts. However, if they are Local Data Smart Charts, the Local Data folder needs to be in the same location as it was on the original PC.

If you move the local data to a new location, you will end up with a new folder path under C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Innovative Market Analysis\MetaStock\17.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart\MSLocal (or MSFL if you are using the "Legacy" data format) when you attempt to open that instrument.

In the event you are unable to recreate the exact folder path (i.e. you were storing the Local Data in a User-based folder on the original PC and you have a different Windows username on the new PC) I believe you could let the system create the new folder path for the smart chart (i.e. I have a smart chart folder of C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Innovative Market Analysis\MetaStock\17.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart\MSLocal\D35FADB76DAB56E33EE81411E0BA776E380C0DF4) and then Copy the Smart Chart files (.MWS files) from the original folder into this new folder.

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
CostaMikka on 8/11/2021(UTC)
CostaMikka  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 11, 2021 7:54:09 AM(UTC)
CostaMikka

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your quick response, and clarification. I've ended up manually recreating my Local Data Lists which wasn't too much effort in the end. My bigger concern was around all my Smart Charts but, after following your advice, I was able to locate the new folder paths and copy over all the Smart Chart files into the corresponding folders. Thanks for your help!
thanks 1 user thanked CostaMikka for this useful post.
MS Support on 8/11/2021(UTC)