logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
maeday  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:32:20 AM(UTC)
maeday

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Whislt tidying up my System Test Tree in the MS16 Power Console I inadvertantly managed to delete all my System Tests. All I have left showing in the Powere Console now is an empty basic tree, that is -  System Test 0-0  \  Favourites 0 - 0  \  and  All System Tests 0 - 0.   I know they are all in there somewhere as after trying to import them back from a backup file I got the usual warning about them all being overwritten if I proceed. I did go ahead with the import but they still don't appear in my tree. Anyone got any ideas about what I need to do to get them all back.

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:29:31 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: maeday Go to Quoted Post

Whislt tidying up my System Test Tree in the MS16 Power Console I inadvertantly managed to delete all my System Tests. All I have left showing in the Powere Console now is an empty basic tree, that is -  System Test 0-0  \  Favourites 0 - 0  \  and  All System Tests 0 - 0.   I know they are all in there somewhere as after trying to import them back from a backup file I got the usual warning about them all being overwritten if I proceed. I did go ahead with the import but they still don't appear in my tree. Anyone got any ideas about what I need to do to get them all back.

Hi,

It is possible that you might have backups of the ST_DATA.MDB file due to upgrading. However, if the System Tests were deleted from the Power Console, they are deleted out of the ST_DATA.MDB that MetaStock is currently using. If you have older versions of MetaStock (or a backup of the ST_DATA.MDB) you can place it back inside the folder where MetaStock is looking for it.

C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0\Formulas is the location MetaStock looks for the System Tester database.

We do also have a clean copy of the ST_DATA.MDB in C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Program

You can Copy this file and Paste it into the "Formulas" folder mentioned above, but this will not include any add-ons or custom systems that you may have created, only what ships with the program.

maeday  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2019 4:41:06 AM(UTC)
maeday

Thanks MS Support for that. I was aware of that file as I had earlier been having trouble with MS16 locking up on opening and taking almost an hour to open. David on the chat line helped me with that and concluded the problem was somewhere in that file. Couldn't fix the problem but left me with the suggestion to tidy up my custom stuff which is how I managed to lose my System Test tree. However I was not aware of the clean file which I have now used. That has fixed up my opening problem (Hooray) and I was also able to get the System Tree back although it only the MS explorations. I still can’t import my own explorations even though I had them backed up. Is there anything else I can/should do?  As part of the exercise I also seem to have lost all my DML indicators which I thought came as part of MS16. Is there any way I can get them back?

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 4:12:12 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: maeday Go to Quoted Post

Thanks MS Support for that. I was aware of that file as I had earlier been having trouble with MS16 locking up on opening and taking almost an hour to open. David on the chat line helped me with that and concluded the problem was somewhere in that file. Couldn't fix the problem but left me with the suggestion to tidy up my custom stuff which is how I managed to lose my System Test tree. However I was not aware of the clean file which I have now used. That has fixed up my opening problem (Hooray) and I was also able to get the System Tree back although it only the MS explorations. I still can’t import my own explorations even though I had them backed up. Is there anything else I can/should do?  As part of the exercise I also seem to have lost all my DML indicators which I thought came as part of MS16. Is there any way I can get them back?

Hi again,

Did you use the Formula Organizer to make your backup or did you just copy the formula folder/files somewhere?

The Formula Organizer does not import from ST_DATA.MDB. When you Export System Tests using the Formula Organizer, it actually makes a MS16PRFT.DTA. This is the file that the Formula Organizer needs in order to import system tests.

If the problem is that your customized ST_DATA.MDB file causes MetaStock to have issues opening, it gets a bit trickier.

We could put your ST_DATA.MDB in the "Formulas" folder and then run FORMORG.EXE (Formula Organizer) from outside MetaStock to see if we can export your system tests out. Formorg.exe is in the same install folder as the clean ST_DATA.MDB file. 

If you can export the system tests out, they will go into a MS16PRFT.DTA file wherever you exported to. You can then put the "Clean" ST_DATA.MDB back into the "Formulas" folder, launch MetaStock, and then try and run Formula Organizer from inside MetaStock to import your custom systems back in.

As for DML indicators, these should be in MetaStock version 16 as part of the ACT add-on that was added to MetaStock. If for some reason they are missing, you can also run the Formula Organizer and import from the installation folder (C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Program). Any custom modifications to built-in formulas will be overwritten by doing this, but any custom formulas of your own would be unchanged.

maeday  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:12:14 AM(UTC)
maeday

Thanks for that MS Support. I have now been able to recover all of the DML indicators using the approach suggested. As for my lost System test records I now realise that my backups are dated (very naughty, not going to let that happen again) and did not include the recent work that was lost. However as the project I was working has been completed, I have the results and have decided I can live without the original tests so I'm not going to bother anymore about tying to retrieve them. However thanks again for your help. You have helped me fix my original opening problem and I've got all those DML inicators back, so its all go again. Much appreciated.

thanks 1 user thanked maeday for this useful post.
MS Support on 8/14/2019(UTC)