logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dflammia  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:54:34 PM(UTC)
dflammia

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers

I would like explorer to give me a list of stocks where the current volume is three times the moving average volume of the last 10 days. this is what I tried. Column A: is Volume. Column B: Mov(V,10,S)*3. then the filter tab is: ColA>ColB. what I get out of running this on Nasdaq, NYSE, etc... is maybe one or two stocks where the current volume is nowhere near 3 times the simple 10 day volume moving average.  thanks

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:42:09 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Which version of MetaStock are you running? Are you using Local Data or Online Data?
mstt  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2016 10:22:16 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi df The event you are testing for is quite rare. As an exercise it can be useful to test for ALL results across across, say, 1000 to 2000 daily bars. This is achieved by using the Cum() function to capture all results rather than just last-bar results. See the second example below. I'd imagine that Small Cap securities would generate more hits than Large Cap. If there's a problem with your results I'd guess that it's your expectation rather than your code that needs to be adjusted. Roy Results across last bar only {ColA} AV:=Mov(V,10,S); V>3*AV; {Filter} ColA; Results across all bars {ColA} AV:=Mov(V,10,S); Cum(V>3*AV); {Filter} ColA;
thanks 1 user thanked mstt for this useful post.
dflammia on 4/28/2016(UTC)
dflammia  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:02:32 AM(UTC)
dflammia

i am using metastock XIV and datalink end of the day data.
MS Support  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:53:39 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)

I tested the scan and it worked fine for me running on the NASDAQ, returning several valid results for the day. Are you by chance running more than one exploration at a time? We might need to have you call in to have a look at this if not, because something is not quite right if you are getting incorrect results. I also ran this using Load Minimum Records without any issues.

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
dflammia on 4/28/2016(UTC)
dflammia  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:43:12 AM(UTC)
dflammia

I determined that the exchange date/time was set for january 1, 2016. I must have changed it accidentally. therefore, when the chart opened with the most recent data (e.g. April 18, 2016) and that volume was not 3 times the moving average i thought my formula was wrong.
thank you for your help with this.

Roy, i also appreciate the chance to use different formulas to approach the same exploration. I learned something new. thanks

Edited by user Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:45:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified