logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gorachand  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:34:47 PM(UTC)
gorachand

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am trying to covert intraday ascii txt data. to Metastock format. Using the Downloader 11 pro I am setting the options to intraday and one minute bars. To convert 3 years data it is taking 36 harsh and when I am opening the final Metastock file in Metastock 11 pro I find the data is being displayed as little clusters of dots. Can someone help? Regards, Dr.Chatterjee
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:39:29 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Would probably need at least a sample of the data if not the entire ascii file. You should also be able to look in the Data Sheet in The Downloader at the data to see how it is being converted and stored compared to the original.
gorachand  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 6:23:52 AM(UTC)
gorachand

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you for your reply.I will be sending an email to support@equis.com with a link to g drive for the file ( it is quite large). While we are on the topic-- could you tell me the steps required to convert csv-- to Metastock in The Downloader? In the customer resources section it says something about adding a wild card character to the source file box-- could you elaborate on that? I have tried the other two options-- renaming the file to txt and saving as txt file in Excel---it doesn' t work. Regards, Dr.Chatterjee
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 4:30:57 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
CSV is a comma separated format. When converting, the DownLoader's "ASCII" source type works fine with CSV. Renaming the CSV extension is unnecessary as long as the file is in the right format. When "Browsing" to select the file though you may have to change the File Type to "All Files" in order to see your CSV file.

By default when you open Tools-->Convert and set the Source File type to ASCII Text, the File name will show as *.TXT. This would be useful if you were pointing at a particular Folder and wanted to convert all the TXT files inside, but in your case you would probably just be "Browsing" to your particular file. Wildcards are more useful for converting multiple security files at once, not just converting a single symbol.

The conversion could be failing for a variety of reasons. You can double click on an item in the Conversion Report to sometimes get an idea why it is failing. I would also recommend reading the "ASCII Source File Layout" Help topic in the DownLoader. I pasted the help file info previously in this post:

http://forum.metastock.c...rmat?m=182130#post182130

Additionally, the MetaStock File Format allows for 65,500 rows of data.  3 years of 1-minute data would likely exceed this number, and once you exceeded the 65,500 rows, you would start getting errors.  If you get more than 25,000 errors during a conversion the entire conversion will fail.  You may need to set specific date ranges within the conversion to avoid this, or possibly break the csv files up into smaller amounts.

Edited by user Friday, March 27, 2015 10:10:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified