logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OLMOONDOG  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 1, 2014 2:00:23 AM(UTC)
OLMOONDOG

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hello, I want to create an index of one of the sub-groups of a sector. I've read FAQ and they seem to refer to the downloaded days. I've written my own formula before so I understand that, a little, I just don't know where to start, a gentle push in the right direction of where to look would be appreciated. Thank you so much to the experienced guides on here.
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:50:49 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
OLMOONDOG wrote:
Hello, I want to create an index of one of the sub-groups of a sector. I've read FAQ and they seem to refer to the downloaded days. I've written my own formula before so I understand that, a little, I just don't know where to start, a gentle push in the right direction of where to look would be appreciated. Thank you so much to the experienced guides on here.

This would depend in part on which version of MetaStock you are using. The latest versions (both 12 and 13) allow you to use the "Security" data function to make an online data request, such as:

Security("IBM",C) + Security("CSCO.O",C) + Security("AMZN.O",C)
OLMOONDOG  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 8, 2014 5:50:13 PM(UTC)
OLMOONDOG

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Thx, I'm using MS10.1 and I would like to make a chart that shows a sub sector of the ASX300, so what I'm wondering is if I create a layout of a sub sector, say Industrials, can I use a formula to show a bar chart that represents the index, just as the AllOrds is the top 500 companies by market cap added together and then divided by 500 and shown as a bar chart. I have written my own formula before and understand the language some though I have no idea where to start with this one?
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:42:52 AM(UTC)
MS Support

The Security function allows you to bring price data into a chart as an indicator, although it will not display this as a Bar chart, only as an indicator line, such as:

Security(".AORD",C)

The Insert-->Instrument command would allow you to plot pricing data from an individual ticker symbol which could be displayed as price bars.
chrisdr22  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 4:42:32 AM(UTC)
chrisdr22

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
OLMOONDOG wrote:
This would depend in part on which version of MetaStock you are using. The latest versions (both 12 and 13) allow you to use the "Security" data function to make an online data request, such as:

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I am interested in creating an index too.  I am using MS 16.

Is it possible to write an indicator formula that reads all symbols from a custom list, in a loop, or is this straying into MDK territory?

Christopher

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:07:37 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: chrisdr22 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
OLMOONDOG wrote:

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I am interested in creating an index too.  I am using MS 16.

Is it possible to write an indicator formula that reads all symbols from a custom list, in a loop, or is this straying into MDK territory?

Christopher

Hi,

There isn't a way to read a list like that via formula. Spyglass/FIRE was an add-on that let you construct indexes out of local data sort of like this. We do plan on building a more robust composite system (right now you are limited to 2 instruments via File > New > Composite) which will hopefully accomodate.