logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
csbro  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:33:43 PM(UTC)
csbro

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I've created, through the Sector Performance Monthly scan and Microsoft Access, a detailed breakdown of the quarterly 'Sector through Sub-Industry' 2 year cycle using the CME S&P 1500 securities. Unfortunately, when I find an Industry or Group coming out of a down cycle, the related folder in "Stocks by Sector S&P" doesn't seem to have anywhere near a complete list of correlated stocks.

Am I missing something or does each folder only hold limited stocks based on a certain criteria. For instance, Office Electronics (GICS 452040) only has Xerox & Pitney Bowes.

Richard

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:31:21 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
It probably is no longer accurate to call this Symbol Utility file S&P based. It was changed to reflect Thomson Reuters Business Classification. In many cases, even certain old S&P Industries only had a few symbols within.

In your example, when I look up the constituents for S&P 1500 Office Electronics (symbol .SPCOMELCI) I see Xerox Corp and Zebra Technologies Corp.

If you do have a different listing that contradicts this information I can try and get the index reported but I did want to clarify that the Sector / Industry Symbol Utility file does not perfectly map to the S&P GICs any more.
csbro  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:19:39 PM(UTC)
csbro

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

My question leans more toward "does Reuters Data Link update the "Stocks Grouped by Sector" folders". In other words when a new symbol is added to their data base do they also assign that new symbol to a Sector / Industry folder?

I'm sure you appreciate what value this update holds in the stock picking process.

As for the S&P 1500 I have the SPCOM** Ticker Symbols matched to the respective GICS code so I'm OK there.

Thanks for your response.

Richard

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:42:41 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
They should update when the associated TRBC Index is updated (and we build new symbol files, which we do monthly). We output a Chain RIC for these TRBC indexes, and when they add new stocks into that Index (or remove stocks) the symbol database should be updated to reflect this. This also goes for the Symbol Utility file that we post on our web site. This is built using the TRBC sector and industry indices and whenever these indices are updated with new constituents the folders are as well.

Keep in mind this involves re-downloading and running the Symbol Utility file. Local data folders do not update automatically.