logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tony S.  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 2:40:52 PM(UTC)
Tony S.

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hello all:

I have MetaStock 9.1, which I have been using for 5 or 6 years now. My version came with 4 External functions: Dynamic Trading Tools, PointFig, ppEval, and Simulation (located in the Exteranl Function DLLs Folder). I rely heavily on Exteranl function PointFig in all my Explorations and Indicators. My question is: Has anyone ever tried to export an MetaStock External function to another charting program?

The reason I am asking is that MetaStock 12 not allowing local data has gotten me worried. I have never upgraded because I don't really use anything other than the PoingFig External function, and so far my Version 9.1 has worked on XP, Vista, and Windows7. I guess whenever my Version 9.1 stops working on whatever version of Windows out there, I will pony up the cash and upgrade MetaStock.

But what if further down the road, they decide to pull the plug on the whole thing? I will be hard pressed to find another similar External function like PoingFig on another charting program. So is it possible to have an MetaStock External function working on another software like Amibroker?

Thanks for your time.
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 4:27:51 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Unless the DLL has been specifically locked to a particular application (which defeats the purpose of DLLs in the first place) you can call the functions in a DLL from any application, so yes, the function in PointFig.dll can be called from another application and not just MS... but, the calling application has to know what the convention is for calling the MS DLL functions.

In order to call a MS function from, say, Excel for example, you'll need some sort of "intermediary" to convert the Excel data structure(s) into MS data structure(s) and pass or reference these in the same way as MS would when calling that particular function. The MS data structures are defined in the MDK so you'll need this as a minimum to be able to write the translation from the parent application data structs to MS data structs.

wabbit [:D]

henry1224  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 14, 2013 4:29:33 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
your version will continue to work fine, ppeval only works on the dow industrial, simulation only works on system tester witch then makes it usless in a real charting program!If Equis gets rid of Reuters EOD Data then switch to Norgate.

I have a feeling that Equis will change their train of thought, and see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I hope that they improve the functionality of their program and develope a true data feed, that self corrects the data base of stocks without you having to jump through hoops.

They need to keep up with Microsoft and allow multi core processing and become win 8 compatible.

How many ways can users complain until Equis realizes what we really want!

I guess that the only way for them to see the light, is for all of us to switch to other software programs!

Most of us have other programs allready, so it will be a matter of getting another data provider!

The ghost of Johnny Cochran always say's "if the gloves don't fit, you must aquit!