logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crossover  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 12:39:57 PM(UTC)
crossover

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

These 2 last months have been a nightmare for me.I've started working for a brokerage firm that has always been using metastock.My boss has been using metastock for many years and has created his own indicators and expert advisor.The indicators are really good but my boss has been complaining from day 1 that he is unable to have multiple stock charts open at the same time due to really poor performance.Things got even worse when we tried metastock 12.We could only open 2 charts before the program crashed.After several trials and errors and phone calls to MS customer support we found that the problem would only show up when we had an expert advisor attached to a chart.When no advisor was attached we could easily have 100 charts open with no problems at all.
After further attempts we found that there are certain indicators that cause the problem.What these indicators shared in common was that they were all using too many fml functions.We tried to solve the problem by declaring our indicators inside the same formula instead of calling them with fml.The improvment was really obvious except for a problem.
A few MAJOR indicators, need A LOT of code to function and we simply cant put them in the same formula because there is a maximum character limit.This is a major problem for us.After consulting several experienced programmers, there issnt a more efficient way to write the code so this option is out of question.
So PLEASE remove the the max character limit or at least allow more characters! Or else, do something to improve fml performance.We will unfortunately be forced to find another software to do our job if we cant find a solution with metastock.
henry1224  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 5:11:23 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
maybe your boss should read the formula primer in this forum.

He should look to minimize the use of the prev function.

There are several fix arounds to the use of the metastock formula code
crossover  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 5:36:09 PM(UTC)
crossover

Thats exactly what we did ever since we realised its the fml causing the system to crash.But as i've said the problem is that some formulas that previously used a lot of fml,are simply too big to fit in the editor due to the max character limitation.
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 7:08:35 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
What about writing the functions external to MS? Much easier, faster and escapes the limitations of MS.

wabbit [:D]

crossover  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 8:04:57 PM(UTC)
crossover

This sounds promising wabbit.Can you direct me to a source where i can find how this can be done? Thanks :)
wabbit  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2013 8:17:17 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
You could purchase the MetaStock Developer Kit (MDK) from Equis (if you know how to program Win32 DLLs) or hire a programmer who already has the MDK.

wabbit [:D]

crossover  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:59:16 AM(UTC)
crossover

I will discuss this with my boss probably on Monday.Just saw your web page, since you already do this job if he decides to go this way i will contact you.Thanks a lot.