logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ahmedalhosen  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:52:17 AM(UTC)
ahmedalhosen

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

its truly needed function to have the bar replay function , this function available now in most softwares Why a great yet simple to use software like MS donot have such function !!!!!!!!!
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:58:15 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
If you hold down the shift key, you can scroll through a chart 1 bar at a time by click the left arrow button on the X-Axis scroll bar.
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:01:15 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
There is a big difference between scrolling across the chart one bar at a time, and replaying or loading the new bar and recomputing all indicators, experts etc based on the new bar. The ability to replay historical data is important for showing if/when indicators repaint e.g. Zig(), LastValue() etc. Most importantly though, it allows the trader to walk forward test with their system; basic functionality added to the MS wish list long ago and completely ignored by Equis, again in MS12.

wabbit [:D]

ahmedalhosen  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:33:50 PM(UTC)
ahmedalhosen

wabbit wrote:
There is a big difference between scrolling across the chart one bar at a time, and replaying or loading the new bar and recomputing all indicators, experts etc based on the new bar.  The ability to replay historical data is important for showing if/when indicators repaint e.g. Zig(), LastValue() etc.  Most importantly though, it allows the trader to walk forward test with their system; basic functionality added to the MS wish list long ago and completely ignored by Equis, again in MS12.

This is exactly what i mean thanks Wabbit for showing the concept , the trick used by MS shift not showing when indicator repaint and its so dangerous when we need to validate the results of a system !!! I wish to see that function in the new releases because the best feature oin MS is the ease of learning and dealing with its codes , and if we swich to other software there languages more difficult than MS Again if the replay function is added it will make MS super software ... lets dream
ahmedalhosen  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:11:32 PM(UTC)
ahmedalhosen

I have an idea to partially overcome that pitfall and i donot know if its applicable or not!!!!! The idea is to use explorer : Lets say i have a logic and i need to know if it is repaints or not so i code that condition for bar previous yesterday , and for two days previous yesterday .... etc "10 times " which the maximum allowed by explorer The Question is : can we force the explorer to end scan at a specific date and ignore the days after it !!!!!! REgards
Bulli  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:41:43 PM(UTC)
Bulli

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi Ahmed

There is an external program FREE that yon can use; to do this easily in Metastock,
Obs. only till Metastock 11, since Metastock 12 does not allow local data!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if I can post a link here, PM me and I will let you know how to get it.

Take care,
Bulli
ahmedalhosen  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:13:49 PM(UTC)
ahmedalhosen

Hello and thanks for the program but it crashs at start
John S  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:29:34 PM(UTC)
John S

Bar Replay (w/ loading and recalcing) is a feature many want. I maintain a Top 40 list for MetaStock and this is on it. Thanks!
jjstein  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2012 6:32:28 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
John S wrote:
Bar Replay (w/ loading and recalcing) is a feature many want.  I maintain a Top 40 list for MetaStock and this is on it.  Thanks!
Why not PIN that list in the "Product Wish List" Forum?
futurmajic  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:28:04 AM(UTC)
futurmajic

Unless I'm missing something, doing what you suggest allows us to get a glimpse of what indicators will do on the next bar. And if we use a price line we can see half of that for the next bar. We really need to be clueless as to what indicators will do on the following bar or it is not realistic. A forward walk through is the most important aspect of system development. I have taped paper to my computer screen to prevent me from seeing the indicator direction of the next bar. Is there a way around this?
wabbit  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:39:48 AM(UTC)
wabbit

At the moment, the only way to "walk forward" is to double click on the date-axis and select the last date loaded as a historical date, then you can use the up and down arrow keys when the cursor is in the last date loaded to choose the next date and press the Apply button with the mouse. With two hands and some practice, you can get quite fast at walking through a chart.

It's clunky, but it can give traders an appreciation of their system design; and it's the best that MS has got until a proper bar replay functionality is included in MS.

eddie.m  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:34:23 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

MS Support wrote:
If you hold down the shift key, you can scroll through a chart 1 bar at a time by click the left arrow button on the X-Axis scroll bar.

Hi there, [:)]

Why does metaStock not publish all the little tricks like the one above in an e-book format?

I wouldn't mind paying $19.99 for it.

Any top MetaStock users up to the challenge for such a wonderful project? [;)][A]

wabbit  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:07:50 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Have a look at the back cover of your MS User Manual.

eddie.m  
#14 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 6:04:23 PM(UTC)
eddie.m

wabbit wrote:

Ha, ha, [:D]

Over the years I accumulated 5-6 User's Manuals, and I always read the back cover for shortcuts, but that little one eluded me.

Not anymore .... [:D]

ahmedalhosen  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:41:58 PM(UTC)
ahmedalhosen

eddie.m wrote:

wabbit wrote:

Over the years I accumulated 5-6 User's Manuals, and I always read the back cover for shortcuts, but that little one eluded me.

6 manuals !!!!!!!! from where all these manuals !!!!
eddie.m  
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:21:34 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

ahmedalhosen wrote:
eddie.m wrote:

wabbit wrote:

6 manuals !!!!!!!! from where all these manuals !!!!

[:)] Ha, ha, from upgrading MS to the newest versions over 10+ years. [:O]

eddie.m  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:26:32 PM(UTC)
eddie.m

wabbit wrote:
There is a big difference between scrolling across the chart one bar at a time, and replaying or loading the new bar and recomputing all indicators, experts etc based on the new bar. The ability to replay historical data is important for showing if/when indicators repaint e.g. Zig(), LastValue() etc. Most importantly though, it allows the trader to walk forward test with their system; basic functionality added to the MS wish list long ago and completely ignored by Equis, again in MS12.

Hi there,

My way of dealing with such recalculations was to select a time segment I was curious about on the chart, delete the data from it and then type OHLC for one bar at a time with data from finance.yahoo.com or saved screenshot of the data before deletion.

After a few years, I got well versed at it when I discovered that all I needed to do is type different Closes for the same bar so I could observe how the Indicator(s) behave.

It was a slow process but I was in no hurry to go anywhere.

Remember: no pain, no gain! [:D]