logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tradinglive  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:38:37 AM(UTC)
tradinglive

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I would like to be able to write multiple time frame explorations, 1 exploration that would be able to explore weekly , daily, and intra-day data at once .
mstt  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:10:58 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

This might be possible using either standard or custom Multi-Frame indicators (it's hard to say without seeing the standard MetaStock formulas you have in mind), but I wonder whether the effort (and cost) of setting up such an exploration is really worth it. Your exploration would have to run on intraday data.

Let's suppose that your formula includes an 10-period EMA, then you would need up to 50 weeks of data to get an accurate EMA result. That's one year of daily data, so how much is that in terms of the intraday data you're working with? Is your intraday data live or historical? How complex is your basic exploration?

So the question is not so much whether it can be done but whether you're prepared to work through all the potential problems. For most people I think that just batching three explorations for different timeframes together would be the way to go.

Roy
tradinglive  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 4:59:18 AM(UTC)
tradinglive

Yes, I batch explorations together now but recently my Metastock explorer file has reached it limit and had to start deleting old explorations to create new ones.
arohi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 4:39:51 AM(UTC)
arohi

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before

(and i just missed

http://www.pass-4sure.me.uk/
mstt  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:53:07 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Arohi

I assume you're asking about my Multi-Frame Indicators so forgive me if I've got that wrong. These indicators replicate standard MetaStock functions and custom formulas but plot selected higher periodicities of those functions and formulas. For example, on a daily chart you could plot weekly and/or monthy moving aveages, stochastics or whatever. Each of the 6 Multi-Frames series have over 150 different formulas and functions, and there are templates to help convert custom foromulas to the Multi-Frame format.

Most M-F indicators contain between 30 and 50 lines of code, so for an exploration one would need to call each of these indicators with the appropriate default user settings by using the Fml() function, rather than load the entire indicator into an exploration column.

Send me an email or a private message if you need more information.

Roy