logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Terry34528  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:36:07 PM(UTC)
Terry34528

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I'd like some kind of fiiling program where I could make notes on the different stocks that I follow and list/sort them by name or symbol, and then easily search or call them up to review or add additional notes.
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:46:01 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Do a Google for "index cards" and see if any of the results meet your needs. Azz Cards (?) is one app which springs to mind; my Dad used to have it to keep notes on his alpacas and his wife used it for her cooking recipes.

Of course, in the good old days, those of us old enough remember when Index Cards (cardfile.exe) was a part of the Micro$oft OS (Windows 3.1 if I remember correctly, and/or maybe Win95?)

If you have MS Access you could always write your own database and user interface, or if you need this to be globally available, then maybe a mySQL db with PHP front end?

wabbit [:D]

P.S. If you have an iPhone/iPad then there are a plethora of apps available from the i$tore.
Terry34528  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:55:47 PM(UTC)
Terry34528

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Thanks for the tip -- I hadn't thought of a google search. By the way, I do have an old MS Access program from years ago -- but I was hoping for something easier and quicker. Terry
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:02:46 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
A simple Access db should take less than half an hour to have something productive up and running. As you would be the owner of the code, you could add small tweaks and improvements as you and your needs grow/change.

How much do you "pay" yourself per hour? If you pay your self (say) $100 per hour and it would take longer than one hour to make your db, then you're going to be better off paying $100 for a ready made product. Of course, there is an additional cost which most people forget about, that is the time taken to learn about the software; so if you can find, buy and learn to use a $100 application in less than one hour, then you're ahead. Along the same lines: if you locate, download and learn to use a $20 application and spend days/weeks/months struggling to get it to work like you want it to, then you've wasted time and money and would have been better off building your own solution in the first place.

wabbit [:D]