logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
petros734  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:52:05 AM(UTC)
petros734

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi everyone, I want to create an indicator which shows the percentage of a certain set of stocks (eg Dow Jones 30), which is below and/or above a user- defined MA, at a user-defined periodicity. Can anyone help ? Thanks petros
johnl  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:00:21 PM(UTC)
johnl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I guess at it by running a explorer and visually comparing the count of accepted and rejected securities .

MS Support  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 3:05:24 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I'm afraid johnl's solution is correct. The formula language does not have a way to count the number of securities that meet a given condition. The explorer can list those that past a filter, but the total number is not stored or reported in any fashion
mstt  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 5:24:07 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Petros Your concept has been covered in a past issue of MSTT (MetaStock Tips and Tools). In fairness to the many subscribers who paid good money for their copy of that newsletter I cannot give you a free copy. However, if you email me I'm sure that we can agree on a modest price for the relevant issue, and any assistance you need from that point on to see the project through to a successful conclusion. The concept is implemented by using global variables (stored in Mark Pyle's GlobalVar DLL) in an exploration to count historical events, and then saving the results to a custom data file. From then on a different exploration is run to count each days results so that the historical data file can be manually updated. Creating a useful historical file can take a while (anywhwere from a few minutes to a couple of hours), and regular updating should take less than 5 minutes a day. Roy rlarsen@quik.co.nz