logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zigzag  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:33:02 AM(UTC)
zigzag

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hello Metastockers

Has anyone ever come across a ZigZag function that accepts a variable value for its Percentage parameter? Any .dll? I have tried the Lastvalue(x+PREV*0) trick but it doesn't work. The concept I am trying to achieve here is to have a less sensitive (ie, higher percentage) ZigZag during weak trend phases (as measured by a "low" R-squared or ADX, etc) and a more sensitive one during strong trend phases. One possible way is to write several discrete pairs of Zig/ADX combinations and for each price bar display the Zig function according to that bar's value for ADX. But I am looking for a more continuous, general formula. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

ZZ

henry1224  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:10:30 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ZZ,

The use of any peak, trough, or zigzag function results in hindsight or dynamic results.

When trying to get results for today's trading session, you will never see a trading signal.

The only advantage for these types of functions is to establish support and resistance levels

zigzag  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 12:24:04 PM(UTC)
zigzag

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

thx Henry

i am aware of the dangers of using these functions for same-bar signals and am trying to use them only as help to determine pivot levels.

my initial attempt:

zzhigh:=input("ZZ Perc Top",1,10,3);

zzlow:=input("ZZ Perc Bot",1,10,3);

zztop:=zig(h,zzhigh,%);

zzbot:=zig(l,zzlow,%);

top:=ref(zztop<ref(zztop,-1) and ref(zztop,-1)>ref(zztop,-2),1);

bot:=ref(zzbot>ref(zzbot,-1) and ref(zzbot,-1)<ref(zzbot,-2),1);

plottop:=valuewhen(1,top=1,h);

plotbot:=valuewhen(1,bot=1,l);

plottop;plotbot;

As for an "adaptive zig" i tried substituting zztop and zzbot with the following:

zztop:=if(adx(12)<=15,zig(h,10,%),if(15<adx(12)<=25,zig(h,7,%),if(25<adx(12)<=35,zig(h,5,%),if(35<adx(12)<=45,zig(h,3,%),zig(h,2,%)))));

zzbot:=if(adx(12)<=15,zig(l,10,%),if(15<adx(12)<=25,zig(l,7,%),if(25<adx(12)<=35,zig(l,5,%),if(35<adx(12)<=45,zig(l,3,%),zig(h,2,%)))));

in terms of trading system, i would like to test breakouts, ie, LE when L>top and SE when H<bot...not sure about LX and SX and stops yet.

any ideas are welcome...thx