logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HolyGrail  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:31:00 PM(UTC)
HolyGrail

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

What do we pay them for??? And E*Trade is ETFCD for the next 20 days, but can you find it in the data? I am new so I wanna know, does Reuters data suck? Is there an alternative with MS11? Thanks.
Justin  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 10:18:26 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

BJS should not be inside the Symbol Database (assuming the symbol database has been updated), but it is possible that you may have an old symbol in a Local Data folder (We do not clean symbols out of a person's local data folders).

We update our symbol database files once per month, so it is certainly possible that a symbol could change shortly after we build the symbol database, and it will not be reflected in the symbol database for about a month.

However, a symbol not being in the symbol database does not prevent you from accessing the data. You can manually create a security using File-->New-->Security and just type in the correct symbol. You can also edit a symbol (in the case of a symbol change) by opening the security file in The DownLoader (File-->Open, browse to the data folder and open the security, then change the symbol at the top of the data sheet). You can also manually add or edit a symbol that is in the symbol database (i.e. File-->Open-->Reuters DataLink, then click Tools-->New Symbol, or you can type the old symbol onto the symbol field, then right-click on the old symbol and click Properties and change the symbol).
HolyGrail  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:40:01 AM(UTC)
HolyGrail

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Justin, Your post is both helpful and alarming at ther same time. :-) I did indeed fix the E Trade symbol change file and re-download to fix the issue. Helpful. But why should I have to do that in the first place? Second, you don't update DAILY? Back to the original question, don't we pay for accurate data? Its easy to go to standardandpoors.com and grab the current 500 tickers in the index. I am surprised this isn't obvious. Every MONTH is not acceptable. Do better. Further - I don't believe that monthly cleanout is occuring either. The BJS deal was completed APRIL 28th! Its June 15 and BJS is still there. Wanna see? In the Downloader, select File -> New -> Security and click the Look Up button. I select Stocks - Americas for the type and S&P 500 for the group. BJS is still there. Wow.....this is not the quality I expected.