logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dawson865  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:01:25 PM(UTC)
dawson865

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi, I am a newibe to MetaStock and was wondering if anyone could help me clear up some confusion with the Reuters Data. I am trying to do some sector / industry analysis, but I am getting confused by the seemingly different results I am getting. I basically want two things. Firstly to be able to get a chart of whatever grouped classification there is (ie sector chart, industry group chart) and secondly then to have a list of all stocks constituting that chart. Am I totally crazy for wanting this? I can't seem to put it together anywhere on the web! I have a list of Reuters chart codes for each sector, industry etc from s&p. http://www2.standardandp...BloombergReuters2008.xls That seems to answer my first point, but then as to what actual stocks constitute each chart? If anyone can shed some light it would be much appreciated! Thanks, Stuart
alphaman  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 4:42:05 AM(UTC)
alphaman

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

If you just want S&P500 sector consitutents, you can use Select Sector SPDR ETFs. They are meant to replicate S&P500 except the technology sector ETF combines IT and Telco.

Richard Dale  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 7:50:22 PM(UTC)
Richard Dale

Which data vendor do you use?

If you're using Premium Data, you can create a Custom Folder that contains just those stocks in the sectors/industry groups/industries/subindustries you describe in the spreadsheet. For example, you can create a folder that contains stocks in the S&P 500 Soft Drinks Subindustry - this folder will be automatically maintained for any new or changed stocks in that S&P 500 subindustry too.

Cheers, Richard Norgate Data
dawson865  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 9:57:30 PM(UTC)
dawson865

Ah, so it automatically populates the folder with the stocks? Sounds exactly like what I need. So what do you mean by Premium Data?
Richard Dale  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 10:05:15 PM(UTC)
Richard Dale

See: http://www.premiumdata.net/products/premiumdata/ for more details about the Premium Data service.

A free trial is available for you to see how it works:
http://www.premiumdata.net/products/premiumdata/freetrial.php

Justin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:39:07 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

As you mentioned, you have the index symbols (The ones we use are based off the S&P 1500 GICS, which all start with .15).

The "Stocks Grouped By Sector" that is in the symbol database is also constructed based on this structure (as long as you have The DownLoader 9.1 or later and have updated the symbol database).
dawson865  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 10:47:56 PM(UTC)
dawson865

Thanks, but "based on" seems to be the operative. For example searching for Apple Inc I would find it in the Reuters Data under: Stocks grouped by Sector > Information Technology > Technology Hardware & Equipment Yet on the Reuters website itself Apple has the classification under: Technology > Computer Hardware And again for the strict GIGS classification: Information Technology > Computers & Peripherals > Computer Hardware Not to be too long winded about this but when trying to compare sectors and groups it can get very confusing to know if your comparing apple with apples (pun intended!) Anyway the Premium Data solution with custom folders seems to be what I'm after with a strict adherence to the GIGS classification. The only question is can Premium Data chart the sectors, industry groups and sub groups itself?
Richard Dale  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:10:22 PM(UTC)
Richard Dale

The short answer is yes - Premium Data can chart the S&P 500 index family including sectors, industry groups, industry and sub-industry indexes).

I've posted a small video here showing how to navigate around the S&P 500 indexes here within MetaStock:

Metastock S&P 500 Index Premium Data Video
dawson865  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2010 3:53:03 AM(UTC)
dawson865

Thanks for this you have been a real help! I have a couple more question - but I'll PM you save clogging up the board!
alphaman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 27, 2010 12:58:56 AM(UTC)
alphaman

dawson865 wrote:
Thanks, but "based on" seems to be the operative. For example searching for Apple Inc I would find it in the Reuters Data under: Stocks grouped by Sector > Information Technology > Technology Hardware & Equipment Yet on the Reuters website itself Apple has the classification under: Technology > Computer Hardware

Reuter's website uses the ICB classification. AFAIK none of the major US financial websites use GICS.
Justin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:25:41 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

dawson865 wrote:
Thanks, but "based on" seems to be the operative. For example searching for Apple Inc I would find it in the Reuters Data under: Stocks grouped by Sector > Information Technology > Technology Hardware & Equipment Yet on the Reuters website itself Apple has the classification under: Technology > Computer Hardware And again for the strict GIGS classification: Information Technology > Computers & Peripherals > Computer Hardware Not to be too long winded about this but when trying to compare sectors and groups it can get very confusing to know if your comparing apple with apples (pun intended!) Anyway the Premium Data solution with custom folders seems to be what I'm after with a strict adherence to the GIGS classification. The only question is can Premium Data chart the sectors, industry groups and sub groups itself?

Sorry, when I said based on I did mean that the constituents were pulled directly from these indices. However, as you've noticed likely in the GICS XLS file you mentioned before, they have several different levels, i.e. Sector, Industry Group, Industry, Sub-Industry. We take the top three levels, Sector, Industry Group, and Industry, but not Sub-Industry.
Cape  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2010 9:17:29 AM(UTC)
Cape

Where are the criteria for the classifications published, please? We expect same things to be grouped together for price prediction purposes - that is our objective. Eg similar set of customers, suppliers, business cycle. Some stocks are mis-classified, leading to good opportunities (or dissapointments of course). IS it possible to tinker with a given classification and have the updates respect this?
alphaman  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:59:28 AM(UTC)
alphaman

Cape wrote:
Where are the criteria for the classifications published, please?

http://www.mscibarra.com/products/indices/gics/gics_structure.html