logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
masterdata  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:36:34 PM(UTC)
masterdata

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I wrote a plug-in many years ago with subsequent updates, that allows MetaStock to use .csv format datafiles of 100 columns with no import or conversion. It just uses them directly. Once installed, it is rock solid. Recently, however, I am running into an increasing number of installation problems. Specifically this occurs with Vista and/or Windows 7, but not always. I have tried using both the installation created by the MDK and, experimentally, with the "normal" built in import/export facility that comes with MetaStock. What happens with both, is that you see some windows pop up and things appear to be processed normally, but then a process begins where MetaStock apparently is trying to verify each custom indicator included with the .dll. Then it stops and says it cannot find the .dll. The .dll is there. I can manually rebuild the custom indicators and they work just fine, but trying to automatically install the indicators does not work. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. LPC
masterdata  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:14:57 PM(UTC)
masterdata

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

After posting the initial issue, I did some further research. Although Microsoft has subtly encouraged not writing into the "Program Files" directory for years, Vista and Windows 7 take it a few steps further. Unless you really work at it, you can't write to the directory or sub-directories at all (I am referring to configuration files not the initial install)). The MasterDATA Plug-in (which allows reading .csv files directly by MetaStock) violated this rule, trying to write a configuration file to the "MetaStock\Equis" directory (which is within "Program Files" directory). Prior to Vista, this created no problems. It does now. Instead, from Vista on forward there is a new directory, "ProgramData", which is a central repository for programs to write their configuration files (etc) to. It is actually very efficient in that it is always in the same place and helps a program stay out of the registry (which is now the preferred practice). The bottom line is that the Plug-in is now a very well behaved program, installing and working very, very smoothly. Needless to say, this solved the problems I was having with the MDK also. Thanks for listening. I hope my experience will be helpful to some of you other coders out there. Best of luck. LPC http://masterdata.com