logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:31:06 AM(UTC)
GeorgeA

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post to the MS Forums, but I've been an MS user since MS8.

I'm experiencing a problem that's pretty frustrating, though I can't say I didn't ask for it. I'm trying to emulate MS11End-of-Day using a Mac Pro running the Snow Leopard OS (Mac), using VMWare Fusion 3 as the emulator.

Much to my chagrin, it doesn't work. Some data points here:
MS9 worked under Fusion 2.x with no problems at all, same Mac machine.
The Equis Downloader *works*, but the MS11 application does NOT, using Snow Leopard. Now that's weird to me.
Boot Camp (it's an Intel-based Mac) has no problems with the software.
I heard rumors that Parallels (another emulator for Mac OSX) may have a chance of working, just I have never heard anyone confirm that it does.

I'm just wondering -- has anyone had success using Metastock 11 with an emulated Windows environment on a Mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
George
Richard Dale  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:05:07 PM(UTC)
Richard Dale

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi George,

In MetaStock version 10 and above Equis started to use a new software licensing system from Nelpeiron called NLS.

Unfortunately that licensing scheme contains code to stop people running software in a VMWare virtual machine.

This is an optional feature that can be turned on or off by Equis (in probably the next version of MetaStock). So it might be worthwhile you telling Equis your intended usage and asking them to remove such a limitation.

In the meantime, I have read a forum post from someone who has got MetaStock to work under VMWare in Linux by providing a series of configuration entries in the .vmx file for the virtual machine. Perhaps such a vmx file also exists in VMWare Fusion?
http://thinkninja.com/archives/44

Please report back and let us know how you get on.

Cheers, Richard Norgate Data
kardenmiller  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:41:07 AM(UTC)
kardenmiller

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

On fusion: You need a setting in the start up file that disables the Tools, which is a pain because you loose cut & paste between Fusion and you Mac. On Parallels: If on XP, make sure you have the .net framework installed. I just upgraded my Parallels/Snow Leopard system to Windows 7. To my amazement the System Tester speed doubled. Not what you expect out of Microsoft these days. Very nice. /k