logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhughey  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 5:31:31 PM(UTC)
jhughey

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The Equis Formula Primer is very well written, and I think it goes a long way towards quickly educating the new users to the capabilities of the MSFL. However, there is one thing that appears to be missing, and I think it is a common source of error among a significant number of MSFL programmers, including myself.

Many of us are not aware that the MSFL is a line-by-line fully evaluated programming language. Instead of evaluating every line on a specific day, a line of code is evaluated for every day in the entire chart before going to the next line. Of course, it is perfectly natural for even an advanced C, FORTRAN, Perl, Basic programmer to expect/assume that all lines are executed before going on to the next day, especially if you have never encountered this kind of code.

My recommendation is to include a section at the end of the Equis Formula Primer titled "What the MSFL Can and Cannot Do", or something comparable, that explains this concept. It should especially provide a couple of examples of the line-by-line values of variables to illustrate the kind of mistakes that can be made. I think this would also give more insight into the properties of indicators. You could also use this section to make a pitch for the MDK.

What do you think?