logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhughey  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:38:33 AM(UTC)
jhughey

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:6.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS FORMAT GARBAGE??? USED CUT-AND-PASTE

Could someone please explain what may possibly be wrong with my installation of MDK 9.1 in Windows Vista, and hopefully how to fix it. I plan to send Email to the usual channels, but the sales rep is not there until tomorrow.

After the third installation (details below) I tried executing the EqCustUI.exe and nothing happens except the message window below.

Equis User Interface Customization Utility v1.01

Copyright © 2000, 2001, All Rights Reserved

EqCustUI.exe: No Commands processed. Use /h for help.

Neither /h or PF1 do anything while the window is open. You click OK and the window goes away, but no application interface appears, so help is useless. Subsequent investigation from Windows Task Manager shows no Equis/Metastock/EqCustUI processes are executing.

Now I note that this beast has uninstalled my original Metastock 10.1 application!! Metastock Developers Kit is there. So now I can’t use Metastock, period. Brilliant!

I am using Windows Vista (64-bit), but I am running EqCustUI.exe in 32-bit compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP 2). Previously both Metastock 10.1 and its Downloader operated fine over the past year. From Windows properties of the entire Equis directory, my userid has complete control of all files. Vista’s User Account Control is turned off. Running as Administrator does not make any difference.

From the manual, I verified all the installed files were present in the usual C:/PF(x86)/Equis directory. There are MSXTest.exe in Equis/MSX and EqCustUI.exe in Equis/UI/.

What is wrong here? How do I fix it, or is this ancient beast incompatible with Vista?

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:03:30 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
jhughey wrote:
Could someone please explain what may possibly be wrong with my installation of MDK 9.1 in Windows Vista, and hopefully how to fix it. I plan to send Email to the usual channels, but the sales rep is not there until tomorrow.

After the third installation (details below) I tried executing the EqCustUI.exe and nothing happens except the message window below.

Equis User Interface Customization Utility v1.01
Copyright © 2000, 2001, All Rights Reserved
EqCustUI.exe: No Commands processed. Use /h for help.

Neither /h or PF1 do anything while the window is open. You click OK and the window goes away, but no application interface appears, so help is useless. Subsequent investigation from Windows Task Manager shows no Equis/Metastock/EqCustUI processes are executing.

EqCustUI.exe is a command line application to change the MetaStock User Interface. You need to provide it command line arguments like "toolbar.add" or whatecver you are trying to achieve.

Open a command prompt window. Navugate to ../MDK/UI where ever that may be on your system and run from the command-line:

eqcustui /h

The help should be displayed.

If you look in the MDK Users Manual there are examples, and also the C/C++ code for running the tool from inside a compiled application.

jhughey wrote:
Now I note that this beast has uninstalled my original Metastock 10.1 application!! It is no longer listed in the Control Panel “Uninstall Software” list, nor is the executable present in its usual directory. From the Control Panel Metastock Developers Kit is there. So now I can’t use Metastock, period. Brilliant!,

Dunno what is going on there, but I'd suggest that something got mangled in the repetative install/uninstall process?

jhughey wrote:
Windows Vista Settings: I am using Windows Vista (64-bit), but I am running EqCustUI.exe in 32-bit compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP 2). Previously both Metastock 10.1 and its Downloader operated fine over the past year. From Windows properties of the entire Equis directory, my userid has complete control of all files. Vista’s User Account Control is turned off. Running as Administrator does not make any difference.

I am not a Vista user, but there is a way(?) to open a command prompt window in 32-bit support mode.

jhughey wrote:
Installation Details: Here are the installation attempts:

First Time – Used the wrong key. Directions referred to the Key being on the back of the CD case, NOT the CD. The junk on the case did not even fit, but it installed anyway. Used Windows to uninstall.

Second Time – Found the correct Key on the CD and used it. However, since the application was not designed for any O/S higher than Windows XP, it was installed within the Vista 64 bit “C//Program Files”, not 32-bit-compatible Program Files (x86). Used Windows to uninstall.

Third Time – Correct key, and correct program directory. No messages of problems.

Installed Files Verified: From the manual, I verified all the installed files were present in the usual C:/PF(x86)/Equis directory. There are MSXTest.exe in Equis/MSX and EqCustUI.exe in Equis/UI/.

What is wrong here? How do I fix it, or is this ancient beast incompatible with Vista?

Remember EqCustUI.exe isn't the MDK per se. If you're using MS VC++ 2008 Express, you'll need to make sure your compiler points to the appropriate MSX/MSFL folders which should have been created during installation.

wabbit [:D]

jhughey  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:30:38 PM(UTC)
jhughey

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks Wabbit, I went to the CL and got the help window. I don't know how I missed that detail that the API was not a GUI. I was expecting my Windows console to light up with the MDK GUI with all its bells and whistles (like Metastock).

As for MDK uninstalling Metastock, I am absolutely sure I did not touch MS, and I rebooted after each install/uninstall. However, I do recall that on the 3rd install the MDK Install Wizard mentioned some old software was present, and did I want to uninstall it? This is when it was in the correct 32-bit directory, along with Metastock. Thinking it was left over from the previous installs, I said yes. It probably happened then. I hope it did not think MS 10.1 was foreign SW. Currently, the C:/Program Files (x86)/Equis/ directory does have the following folders: Metastock, MSFL, MSX, UI, and The Downloader.

Oh well, I shall reinstall regular MS 10.1 and re-read the Manual a bit more carefully.

BTW, the MS Visual C++ 2008 does have Win32 Project Types. All I have to do is to figure out where the MSX DLL AppWizard is. (Manual page 46, "Highlight Metastock MSX DLL AppWizard"

Thanks again for your help!
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2009 12:40:52 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
jhughey wrote:
All I have to do is to figure out where the MSX DLL AppWizard is. (Manual page 46, "Highlight Metastock MSX DLL AppWizard"

The AppWizard is installed as part of VC++6.0

To create a new MSX.dll in VC++2005/8, create a new empty Win32.dll and populate the project with the required files from there (learn to use templates, it will come in handy later). There have been a few posts here at the forum about VC++2008 (also VC++2005, and their Express editions).

wabbit [:D]