logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
masterdata  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:18:41 AM(UTC)
masterdata

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I am still using version 1 of the MDK because it has worked reliably over the years. Now I am troubleshooting a new issue with a user of the plug-in running MetaStock 10.1. I am just trying to eliminate possibilities. Are there any compatibilty issues that anyone is aware of between a plug-in using this older version of the MDk and MetaStock 10.1???

I appreciate any feedback here.

Best,

L.P. Carhartt

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:56:50 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The version of the MDK itself is not important, unless you are using the MetaStock File Library functions. If you're just using the MDK to create computational functions, the version is not likely to be the issue (although this doesn't't completely rule out the possibility - - provide more information on exactly what the .dll is supposed to be doing for other possible causes?)

wabbit [:D]

Branden Russell  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:55:26 AM(UTC)
Branden Russell

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

There will be some compatibility issues between older and newer versions of the MSX (a part of MDK).

The MSFL will probably have fewer issues since the file structure has largly remained unchanged. Your older version would be limited to smaller number of securities per folder (depending on the version you really have, it could be 256 securites per folder). 10.1 is capable of about 8,000 per folder.

There never was a version 1.0 of the MDK. I believe it started as early as 6.5, but I think it came out at 7.0.

Branden Russell  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:56:30 AM(UTC)
Branden Russell

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Also, two different versions of the MSFL can't access a folder of securites at the same time while two programs using the same version can.
masterdata  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 5, 2009 12:13:45 PM(UTC)
masterdata

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Thank you all very much for your response to my compatibility question. As it turns out, the issue turned out to be a .dll that was "stuck" in the MSX DLL folder. It could not be deleted or moved. Fortunately, it could be renamed. The "stuck" .dll had gotten corrupted somehow and then, when installing a revised .dll, could not be overwritten. MetaStock kept saying it could not find the .dll when updating Custom Indicators. The subscriber was using 10.1 and XP. XP I knew was OK, but was unsure of MS 10.1.

Once we discovered the "stuck" file, the issue resolved itself. Apparently, MS 10.1 works fine with a .dll written with MDK 1.00 and distributed with MetaStock 7.22 Custom Indicators and functions. I know this seems a bit antiquated, but doing it this way allows older versions of MetaStock to use the .dll, and included MetaStock functions. MetaStock continues to do a good job of "upgrading" everything for use in more recent versions.

I don't know if you remember, but my .dll allows use of my historical .csv datafiles (68 column file of breadth data) directly in MetaStock without import or conversion. The subscriber downloads the updated data directly from the web site ready for use in MetaStock. Could not be done without the MDK. Thank you.