logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WindsurfStew  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:05:26 AM(UTC)
WindsurfStew

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi Group,

I'm curious as to whether this product has always been $299 or if it has been free in the past? Or do some people get it for free?

I spoke to Equis today and am extremely surprised that they are charging for it. I'm currently running a successful software development consultancy in London (to the financial sector) and have been in the industry for over 10 years. One thing I've seen is that a product's success can be boosted by allowing third parties to create add-on enhancements. Metastock is a good product and has good hooks to allow these enhancements. However it simply does not make sense for them to penalise developers for choosing to enhance their product.

Two very good examples of programming solutions which have taken the market by storm over the past five years are Java and Microsoft's .Net. Both free and have both significantly benefited their creating groups - Sun etc sale of Solaris etc, Microsoft sale of Windows Server and Desktop environments.

I'm sure that the revenue gained from MDK sales is tiny compared to the sales of their Metastock sales. Perhaps 100 or even 1000 times being conservative! Sure, releasing this product to developers would result in a very small loss of revenue for MDK but this would be strongly outweighed by improvement to Metastock, increased sales and hype, commissions on selling add-ons and customer satisfaction.

For every 100 developers prepared to try MDK and potentially improve the Metastock environment I would be willing to be that 99 of them never get a chance to explore the MDK as they don't want to outlay cash before even seeing the product. Lost potential.

When I spoke to Paul at Equis today he suggested that developers should 'roll the dice' (his words), and gamble $299 that they might get some benefit from it.

Did you all pay for it? Am I missing something? Are there any other products that developers can use to compile dlls for use as Metastock plugins?

Stewart

Branden Russell  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:19:33 AM(UTC)
Branden Russell

It hasn't always been that price. There have been a couple promotions in the past taking it to about $100 or so for forum users and such. No, it has never been free. People purchase it in order to make DLLs for a formula that can't be done in the built in MetaStock Forumla Language or so they can make an app to access data, etc. Not sure why Paul picked those words. There isn't a gamble as to whether the MDK is for you. There may not be a trial, but we can answer any question you might have as to whether you'll need it. If you have an idea of what you're wanting to do, you can ask us (msdevkit@equis.com) or the people on the forum and you can find out if your idea is possible with the MDK. Many come asking if the MDK can do what they want and find they can do what they want just using the built in functionality and not have to buy anything. I can't seem to find the MDK page on our web site right now that contains the details on what it can and can't do, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.
PTJim  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 1:40:22 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
For a product as stagnant (almost two years since the last release, which itself was nothing but a Vista-compatibility bugfix) and obsolete (really? we still can't drag child windows outside the limited confines of the main window, nor take advantage of multiple monitors?) as MetaStock, they sure are protective of that MDK, aren't they? Companies with a supported, enthusiastic developer base usually do very well compared to competitors. Your take on it has been noted previously on this forum by others.

Yes, I use MetaStock (version 9.1 because there's zero reason to upgrade), but it's slipping further and further behind. Everytime Alexander Elder releases another book or newsletter with screenshots of TradeStation, I get a little jealous of the features I see him using.

So Brandon, is anything at all happening to modernize this aging product, or is Reuters just flogging it to get a few more data subscribers?

[Brandon:] I can't seem to find the MDK page on our web site right now that contains the details on what it can and can't do

Well, that's not good. You work there. If they had any interest in really selling it and supporting a developer base, at the very minimum there'd be a detailed and complete datasheet and manual available for download before purchase.

Sigh.
Branden Russell  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:07:23 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

PTJim wrote:
they sure are jealous of that MDK, aren't they?
We're not jealous of the MDK. I'm not even sure how to respond to that. We developed it. It does what it was designed to do.
PTJim wrote:
Yes, I use MetaStock (version 9.1 because there's zero reason to upgrade)
There's at least one reason. I think 9.2 is the version I added the handy dynamic symbol database. You get new groups of symbols without a new version of MetaStock. I think version 10 added a new Type (another country or region). Other than that, I didn't work on those versions of MetaStock, and am unfamiliar with what went in them. I mainly work on the institutional products. Not sure how any of this is related to the MDK questions Windsurfer asked though. Contact Sales and they can explain what was added and what the benefits of upgrading are.
PTJim wrote:
So Branden, is anything at all happening to modernize this aging product, or is Reuters just flogging it to get a few more data subscribers?
I'm sure something is happening. Unfortunately, I'm also sure I can't say anything about it.
PTJim wrote:
[Branden:]I can't seem to find the MDK page on our web site right now that contains the details on what it can and can't do
Well, that's not good.  You work there.  Sigh.
Yes, I may work here, but I don't find it a necessary part of my job to visit our website. I develop MetaStock, not the website. I found the page and messaged windsurfer. It was where it has always been. Not sure how I missed it. It is https://www.metastock.com/Partners/Developers.aspx for any that are interested.
PTJim  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:21:14 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Branden Russell wrote:
PTJim wrote:
We're not jealous of the MDK. I'm not even sure how to respond to that. We developed it. It does what it was designed to do.

"Jealous" was an unclear choice of word; that's why I changed it to "protective". And by that I meant Equis is treating the product as some kind of super-valuable treasure chest, when they should be trying to seed it far and wide to garner as many developers as possible to create a more-valuable core product. It's ok to charge *something* for a devkit because presumably you'd have to support it, but treating it like the Crown Jewels and making info hard to get doesn't benefit anybody.

A better approach would be to offer it free or very cheap, and unsupported, then charge for any support necessary and maybe also charge a "MetaStock Certified" fee to test developer's products and certify that they're functional (but not guaranteeing their investment performance).

It's all about creating a happy, motivated third-party developer base.
Branden Russell  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:24:01 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

PTJim wrote:
Branden Russell wrote:
PTJim wrote:

"Jealous" was an unclear choice of word; that's why I changed it to "protective".  And by that I meant Equis is treating the product as some kind of super-valuable treasure chest, when they should be trying to seed it far and wide to garner as many developers as possible to create a more-valuable core product.  It's ok to charge *something* for a devkit because presumably you'd have to support it, but treating it like the Crown Jewels and making info hard to get doesn't benefit anybody.

A better approach would be to offer it free or very cheap, and unsupported, then charge for any support necessary and maybe also charge a "MetaStock Certified" fee to test developer's products and certify that they're functional (but not guaranteeing their investment performance).

It's all about creating a happy, motivated third-party developer base.
I completely agree, except the part about information hard to come by. The page I linked to tells you what to expect. I also have a pdf of a brochure with more details that I can send you if you're interested. Edit: And I and others on this forum are very willing to point out what the MDK can and can't do when someone has a specific question.
PTJim  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:34:09 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Brandon, thanks for the pointer to the MDK info page; it's pretty informative. I'm not a potential developer, but very happy to see the info there for those who are.

And FWIW, I like MetaStock 9.1 very much for what it is and think it's well worth what I paid for it, and for the few plugins I own. I just hate seeing it sit still unimproved in terms of the user interface and competitors' feature set.

In fact, I'm considering investing $1,200 in TradeSim Enterprise to perform functions well beyond the pitifully-limited backtesting included in MS. My personal opinion is that relying on the simplistic backtesting features of MS would likely lead one to very erroneous conclusions about system validity and performance. Of couse, I see other companies promoting their backtesting too, with similarly-limited capabilities.

Buy or license TradeSim, release MetaStock 11 with something like that, modernize the user interface, add a quotation window linked to whatever quote server and charts we're using now and voila - you've really got something.

Branden Russell  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:41:41 PM(UTC)
Branden Russell

PTJim wrote:
Brandon, thanks for the pointer to the MDK info page; it's pretty informative.  I'm not a potential developer, but very happy to see the info there for those who are.

And FWIW, I like MetaStock 9.1 very much for what it is and think it's well worth what I paid for it, and for the few plugins I own.  I just hate seeing it sit still unimproved in terms of the user interface and competitors' feature set.

In fact, I'm considering investing $1,200 in TradeSim Enterprise to perform functions well beyond the pitifully-limited backtesting included in MS.  My personal opinion is that relying on the simplistic backtesting features of MS would likely lead one to very erroneous conclusions about system validity and performance.  Of couse, I see other companies promoting their backtesting too, with similarly-limited capabilities.

Buy or license TradeSim, release MetaStock 11 with something like that, modernize the user interface, add a quotation window linked to whatever quote server and charts we're using now and voila - you've really got something.

Again, I agree with most of what you said (I'm not familiar with TradeSim specifically). Please post any suggestions into the area of the forum for future releases. It may not seem like it, but it does get read and considered. But, this really is getting quite off topic for this thread and the section of the forum.