logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hyperdimension  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 12:44:04 AM(UTC)
hyperdimension

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

What is the best way to export the security names from Metastock data to text?

When I export security data using The Downloader it does not export the security name, only the symbol and price data.

I have tried Mansoor's ms2asc tool which is very good, however it shortens the names e.g.:

AEPW,Asia Electric Po,D,20080404,000000,2.25000,2.30000,2.21000,2.30000,11800,2

When I open AEPW in The Downloader I can see that the name is much longer than "Asia Electric Po".

Are there any other tools that will export the full security names, either with price data or just a symbol, name pair list?

Thank you.

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:10:23 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Run an exploration and export the exploration results (use cut and paste)... This shoudl give you the full name(?) and the ticker, and whatever other numerical information you want.

The other way to get a customised external solution written to export the required information.

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]
hyperdimension  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 11:23:22 AM(UTC)
hyperdimension

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Thanks for your help, I didn't think of that.

I tried out MetaLib and apart from a couple of initial problems it worked ok.
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:30:24 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
MetaLib is an excellent product, but it is a very big hammer to crack a very small nut, in your case.

I am going to take a guess and suggest that you needed the stock name and symbol in a list to facilitate another application to download free data? In the effort to get something for free, you have just paid 60 to 450 Euros!

I accept MetaLib has a thousand other uses so this expenditure is not wasted, I am just demonstrating some of the costs associated with trying to get "free" data! Quite often with free data, you will often find your hand in your pocket paying for something else to deal with data problems.

The monetary cost of purchasing MetaLib is in addition to the time spent trying to find such a product, time spent determining whether this product is the right product for the job, time spent downloading, installing, testing, time and frustration trying to learn to do something different/new etc....

How much do you pay yourself for your own time? I know an ex-trader who literally spent hundreds of hours trying to find a crack for an application that cost $20 to purchase. Even if he paid himself only $20 per hour, he "spent" thousands of dollars trying to save $20. (Notice how I said he is an ex-trader. Is there some correlation between people who understand the cost of time and successful trading? Might be a good area of research for someone?)

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]