logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jrknowles1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2007 3:51:32 PM(UTC)
jrknowles1

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I am trying to locate a pipe bottom as discussed in Bulkowski's Chart Patterns. The best way I know to do this is to search for 2 Long Lower Shadows, however I'm not sure how to get the code to do this. I would really like to get this setup in the explorer. Thanks for any help.
amory  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 1:50:56 AM(UTC)
amory

I have tried several explorations for off-the-bottom, mostly involving RSI oversold etc, but this is a new one so I'll give it a try. using good old-fashioned columns & filter, column a:- c {for closing price} column b:- LongLowerShadow()

then column c:= Ref(LongLowerShadow(),-1) {for on the day before}

then simply filter: colb=1 and colc=1

but there was one snag to this: most of what came up in the exploration wasn't down the bottom at all! so I added the following line for column d:- C<(Mov(C,25,S))*.9

leaving only the ones which are down real low. you would have to add

"and cold=1" to the filter. probably not much good but it's a start.

jrknowles1  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 10:01:41 AM(UTC)
jrknowles1

Thanks for the reply amory. That does help. I got to thinking after I put that formula in. This will only find a small subset of all the different pipes out there. In this case only those that are two Long Lower Shadow Candles. Have you tried putting together a variety of combinations, such as two hammers, 1 hammer and 1 Long Lower Shadow, etc. I'm not sure if this is the best route to go but seems logical to me.
amory  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 5:49:58 PM(UTC)
amory

hi JR. I have never taken candles very seriously, but if you look at them often enough you do develop a feel for what they are trying to tell you. not to the point however, where I would want to develop formulae based on them.

I've got one exploration which I hardly ever use, the filter is: colB=1 AND MACD()>(Ref(MACD(),-1)) AND V*WC()>=40000

you will ask me what's column B. it is simply a list of all the candles you want to include in your forecast bullish or otherwise, in this case

3WhiteSoldiers() OR EngulfingBull() OR Bull3Formation() OR MorningStar()OR MorningDojiStar()

out of curiosity, I have just done the explo & came up with 4 stocks. all of them 'engulfing bulls' (a major bottom reversal signal). maybe one should follow up on this some more. thanks for raising the topic.

amory  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2007 7:01:19 PM(UTC)
amory

taking it one step further:

in the filter: (colC=1 OR colB=1) etc

where column C reads as follows:

CLOSE>Ref(CLOSE,-1) AND Alert((Hammer() OR InvHammer() OR InvBlackHammer()),2)

the idea being that the 'hammers' happened yesterday & today was confirmation thereof. notice that the filter has 'or' in it: it's got to be either the bull or the hammer formations. otherwise all will be rejected.

altogether only about half a dozen came up. perhaps if one left out the "Macd>etc" in the filter, there could be more. anyway, I'll leave it as is for now.