logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swift  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 9:55:09 AM(UTC)
swift

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I found a simple system useful by using a 10-day simple moving average hooked up that is today MA reading which is higher than the previous day to generate a buy signal. I want this system to plugin to my metastock 8 so that I can use the Explore to scan a list of stocks that produce buy singals
Can someone help me ?
amory  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 5:41:35 PM(UTC)
amory

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Swift: there is no such thing as a simple exploration. for instance, what you are trying to do, will return buy-signals for about a quarter of all stocks on a reasonably good day. how do you expect to narrow that down to ten or twenty stocks? let me tell you, I've tried dozens of explorations including the ones that come with Metastock & not one of them will give you guaranteed winners. if there was such a thing as a perfect search, we'd all be rich.
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2007 8:11:23 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
swift,

Welcome to the Forum...

In addition to the advice offered by Amory, I think you will benefit greatly by reading the MS Users Manual that came with your copy of MetaStock. After you have finished reading the Manual, I would strongly recommend that you download the free Equis Formla Primer from the files section and work through all the exercises contained therein.

Armed with this knowledge, you will have no problem completing this simple coding project. After doing the required reading and the homework yourself, if you get stuck, please post your best attempt at the code along with a full explanation of what you are trying to achieve to the forum and I am sure one of the good members here will assist you to sort out the bugs.

We aren't here to write your code for you, we are here to help when you get into trouble using MetaStock.

Kwan-Tzu wrote:
If you give a man a fish, he will have a single meal. If you teach him how to fish, he will eat all his life.

wabbit [:D]

hayseed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:44:48 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey swift..... lookin close at your words, is today MA reading which is higher than the previous day , that might give a buy signal each and every day as the 10-day ma moved up......

some might explore for when the "close crossed above the 10-day ma" for a buy signal.... others might look for a turn around in the 10-ma..... which would be something like looking at 3 or more days '10-day ma' ......

in any event, the exploration below might give you some insights..... comments in black , columns in blue and code in purple..... if you wonderin why those colors, it's cause i'm takin a beatin in the markets today.....h

Exploration notes

Col A:

a:=Mov(C,10,S); {10 day moving average}

a>Ref(a,-1) {says todays 10 ma is greater than
yesterdays 10ma }

Col B:

a<Ref(a,-1) {says todays 10 ma is less than
yesterdays 10ma }

Col C:

Cross(C,a) {says todays close crossed above the