logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

11 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Liadan  
#121 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:26:18 AM(UTC)
Liadan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Interesting Stock Symbols from 1990

BABY

Fertility & Genetic Resources

BEAM

Summit Technology Incorporated

BLMP

Airship Intl. Ltd.

BLUD

Immucor Incorporated

BOOK

Village Green Bookstore Incorporated

BOOM

Explosive Fabricators Incorporated

BRAU

Pavichevich Brewing Corporation

BSBL

Score Board Incorporated

BUCS

American Franchise Group Incorporated

BURN

Trilling Medical Technology Incorporated

BYTE

Compu Com Systems Incorporated

CARS

US Cargo Incorporated

CGUL

Margate Ventures Incorporated

CHIK

Golden Poultry Co. Incorporated

COLD

Texas American Group Incorporated

DINE

Mascott Corporation

DOSE

Choice Drug Systems Incorporated

DRNK

Cable Car Beverage Corporation

EARS

Hearx Ltd.

FAIR

Renaissance Entertainment Corporation

FAME

Flame master Corporation

FAXM

Hotelcopy Incorporated

FLAG

First Federal Savings Bank of La Grange

FOIL

Forest Oil Corporation

FONE

Farmstead Telephone Group

FOTO

Seattle Filmworks Incorporated

FUEL

Griffith Consumers Corporation

FUN

Cedar Fair, L.P.

FUSE

First United Savings Bank FSB

GAIT

Langen Biomechanics Group

GARD

Denning Mobile Robotics

GEMS

Electronic Spec. Products Incorporated

GGGG

4 G Data Systems Incorporated

GOGO

Nutri-Products Incorporated

GONE

Plastigone Technology Incorporated.

GRIT

Grubb & Ellis Realty Incorporated Trust

HIRE

Diversified Human Resources Group

JAIL

Adtec. Incorporated

JOIN

Jones Inter Cable Incorporated

KDNY

Home Intensive Care

KIDS

Magic Years Child Care Center

KIDZ

Liadan  
#122 Posted : Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:42:05 AM(UTC)
Liadan

Two young MBAs applied for a single position at a Wall Street investment bank. They both had the same qualifications. In order to determine which individual to hire, the applicants were asked to take a test by the HR manager.

Upon completion of the test, both men had each missed only one of the questions. The manager went to the first applicant and said, "Thank you for your interest, but we've decided to give the job to the other applicant."

"And why would you be doing that? We both got nine questions correct," asked the rejected applicant.

"We have based our decision not on the correct answers, but on the question you missed," said the HR manager.

"And just how would one incorrect answer be better than the other?" the rejected applicant inquired.

"Simple," said the HR manager, "Your fellow applicant put down on question #5, 'I don't know.' You put down, 'Neither do I.

Liadan  
#123 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2008 9:40:55 AM(UTC)
Liadan

An investment banker and an engineer were fishing in the Caribbean. The investment banker said, “I'm here because my house burned down, and everything I owned was destroyed by the fire. The insurance company paid for everything.”

“That's quite a coincidence,” said the engineer. “I'm here because my house and
all my belongings were destroyed by a flood, and my insurance company also paid for everything.”

The investment banker looked somewhat confused. “How do you start a flood?”" he asked.

Liadan  
#124 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:25:50 PM(UTC)
Liadan

An investment banking analyst, an investment banking associate and their Managing Director are walking to lunch when they find an antique oil lamp.

They rub it and a genie comes out in a puff of smoke. The Genie says, "I usually only grant three wishes, so I´ll give each of you just one."

"Me first! Me first!" says the ibanking analyst. "I want to be in the Bahamas, driving a speedboat, without a care in the world." Poof! She´s gone.

In astonishment, "Me next! Me next!" says the ibanking associate. "I want to be in Hawaii, relaxing on the beach with my personal masseuse, an endless supply of Pina Coladas and the love of my life." Poof! He´s gone.

"OK, you´re up," the Genie says to the MD.

The MD says, "I want those two back in the office after lunch."

Moral of story: always let your boss have the first say.

Liadan  
#125 Posted : Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:59:43 PM(UTC)
Liadan

Jamie asked his dad to explain the difference between irritation, aggravation, and frustration.

His father picked up the phone and dialed a number at random. When the phone was answered, he asked, "Can I speak to Rolf, please?"

"No! There's no one named Rolf here," replies the person who answered the phone.

The father hung up. "That, my boy, is irritation."

He picked up the phone again, dialed the same number, then asked for Rolf a second time. "No, there's no one here called Rolf. Go away. If you call again I'm calling the cops," the person said.

The father hung up and said, "That's aggravation."

"Then what's frustration?" asked Jamie. The father picked up the phone and dialed the same number a third time.

"Hello, this is Rolf. Have I received any phone calls?"

Liadan  
#126 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 9:31:34 AM(UTC)
Liadan

Little Johnny was being questioned by the teacher during an arithmetic lesson.

'If you had ten pounds,' said the teacher, 'and I asked you for a loan of eight pounds, how much would you have left?'

'Ten,' said Little Johnny firmly.

'Ten?' the teacher said 'How do you make it ten?

'Well,' replied Little Johnny 'You may ask for a loan of eight pounds, but that doesn't mean you'll get it!'

Liadan  
#127 Posted : Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:36:26 AM(UTC)
Liadan

The National Westminster Bank admitted recently that it keeps personal information about its customers - such as their political affiliation - on computer.

But now Computer Weekly reveals that a financial institution, sadly unnamed, has gone one better and moved into the realm of personal abuse.

The institution decided to mailshot 2000 of its richest customers, inviting them to buy extra services. One of its computer programmers wrote a program to search through its databases and select its customers automatically. He tested the program with an imaginary customer called Rich [censored]. Unfortunately, an error resulted in all 2000 letters being addressed "Dear Rich [censored]." The luckless programmer was subsequently sacked.

Liadan  
#128 Posted : Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:08:54 AM(UTC)
Liadan

A city boy in the Witness Protection Program moved to the country and bought a donkey from an old farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the mule the next day.

The next day, the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry, but I have some bad news. The donkey died."

"Well then, just give me my money back."

"Can't do that. I went and spent it already."

"Okay then. Just unload the donkey."

"What ya gonna do with him?"

"I'm going to raffle him off."

"You can't raffle off a dead donkey!"

"Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead."

A month later the farmer met up with the city boy and asked, "Whatever happened with that dead donkey?"

"I raffled him off. I sold 500 hundred tickets at two dollars apiece and made a profit of $898."

"Didn't anyone complain?"

"Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."

Liadan  
#129 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:42:00 AM(UTC)
Liadan

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Quickly, God was faced with a citation from the regulatory board.

God was granted a temporary permit for the project, but was stymied with the cease-and-desist order for the earthly part.

Then God said, "Let there be light!" Immediately, the regulatory board demanded to know how the light would be made. Would there be strip mining? What about thermal pollution?

God explained that the light would come from a large ball of fire. God was granted provisional permission to make light, assuming that no smoke would result from the ball of fire, that a building permit would be obtained, that there would be conservation of energy, and that the light would be out half the time.

God agreed and offered to call the light "day" and the darkness "night." The officials replied that they were not interested in semantics.

God said, "Let the earth put forth vegetation, with plants yielding seed and fruit trees bearing fruit." The advisory board agreed, so long as only native seed was used

And everything was OK — until God said the project would be completed in six days. The officials said it would take at least 200 days to review the applications and environmental impact statement. After that would be a public hearing. Then it would be 10-12 months before ...

At this point, God created hell.

Liadan  
#130 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:27:44 AM(UTC)
Liadan

More Definitions for the stock market

Broker: What you become after investing in dot com stocks.
Bull: What comes out of your stockbroker's mouth.
Bear: What your brokerage account becomes after investing in Enron.
Short: What you end up being after shorting stocks in your portfolio.
Bond: A thing you used to have between you and your stockbroker before he lost your money.
Call: What a stockbroker does when he has a hot tip for you.
Tip: What you won't be leaving your waiter, if you invest based on his hot stock ideas.
Over the Counter: Where you'll be getting your food from when you go out to dinner, after losing your money in the stock market.
Volume: What you turn up on the radio when the financial report comes on.

Liadan  
#131 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:39:27 AM(UTC)
Liadan

Upon being questioned as to the occupation of his father, the young man replied, "He cleans out the bank."

"Janitor or president?" was the final question.
Liadan  
#132 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2008 9:20:20 AM(UTC)
Liadan

What a difference a century makes! Here are some statistics from 1902:

The average life expectancy in the US was forty-seven years.

Only 14 Percent of the homes in the US had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone. A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost eleven dollars.

There were only 8,000 cars in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The average wage in the US was 22 cents an hour.

The average US worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births in the US took place at home.

Ninety percent of all US physicians had no college education.

Sugar cost four cents a pound. Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen. Coffee cost fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

The five leading causes of death in the US were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

One in ten US adults couldn't read or write. Only 6 percent of all Americans graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were available over the counter at
corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the
complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

Eighteen percent of households in the US had at least one full-time servant or domestic.

There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire US.

Liadan  
#133 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:53:45 AM(UTC)
Liadan

An unemployed man applies for a job with Microsoft as a janitor. The manager arranges for him to take an aptitude test. After the test, the manager says, "You will be employed at minimum wage. Let me have your e-mail address, so that I can send you a form and tell you where to report for work on your first day."

Taken aback, the man protests that he has neither a computer nor an e-mail address. To this the MS manager replies, "Well, then, that means that you virtually don't exist and can therefore hardly expect to be employed."

Stunned, the man leaves. Not knowing where to turn and having only $10 in his wallet, he decides to buy a 25-pound flat of tomatoes at the supermarket. In less than two hours, he sells all the tomatoes individually at 100 percent profit. Repeating the process several times that day, he ends up with almost $100 before going to sleep that night.

And thus it dawns on him that he could quite easily make a living selling tomatoes. Getting up early every day and going to bed late, he multiplies his profits quickly. After a short time he acquires a cart to transport several dozen boxes of tomatoes, only to have to trade it in again so that he can buy a pickup truck for his expanding business. In two years he has a fleet of pickup trucks and manages a staff of 100 formerly unemployed people, all selling tomatoes.

Planning for the future of his wife and children, he decides to buy life insurance. Consulting with an adviser, he picks an insurance plan to fit his new circumstances. At the end of the telephone conversation, the adviser asks for his e-mail address in order to send the final documents electronically. When the man replies that he has no e-mail, the adviser is stunned, "What, you don't have e-mail? How on earth have you managed to amass such wealth without the Internet, e-mail, and e-commerce? Just imagine where you would be if you were connected to the Internet from the very start!"

After a moment of thought, the tomato millionaire replied, "Why, of course! I would be a floor cleaner at Microsoft!"

Moral of this story:

1. The Internet, e-mail, and e-commerce do not need to rule your life.

2. If you don't have the internet and e-mail, but work hard, you can still become a millionaire.

3. Seeing that you got this story via e-mail or the internet, you may be closer to becoming a janitor than to becoming a millionaire.

4. If you do have a computer, the internet and e-mail, you may already have been taken to the cleaners by Microsoft.

Liadan  
#134 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:29:33 AM(UTC)
Liadan

A young college grad applied for a job with a BANK. The personnel officer asked, "What kind of job do you want?"

"I'll take vice-president for a start."

"We already have twelve vice-presidents."

"That's OK. I'm not superstitious."

Liadan  
#135 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:07:39 PM(UTC)
Liadan

A teacher, a doctor and an INVESTMENT BANKER die and are in heaven. God asks the teacher why he should be let into heaven, and the teacher explains to God that he taught small children how to read and write. God says, "Welcome to heaven, my son."

God then asks the doctor what he had done in life that should allow him into heaven. "I saved people's lives by curing their illnesses," the doctor replies. "Welcome to heaven, my son," God says.

God then turns to the investment banker. God asked him what he was, and the man replied that as an investment banker, he helped banks package their subprime mortgages into highly marketable CDOs. "Welcome to heaven, my son," says God, "but you have to leave in two days."

Liadan  
#136 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2008 11:33:29 AM(UTC)
Liadan

A Conversation between a man with the initial W & his son

W: I want you to marry a girl of my choice.
Son: "I will choose my own bride!"
W: "But the girl is Bill Gates's daughter."?
Son: "Well, in that case...ok"?

Next W approaches Bill Gates:

W: "I have a husband for your daughter."
Bill Gates: "But my daughter is too young to marry!"
W: "But this young man is a vice-president of the World Bank."
Bill Gates: "Ah, in that case...ok"

Finally W goes to see the president of the World Bank.

W: "I have a young man to be recommended as a vice-president."
President: "But I already have more vice-presidents than I need!"
W: "But this young man is Bill Gates's son-in-law."

Liadan  
#137 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:35:22 AM(UTC)
Liadan

A young bride walked into a bank to cash a check. She was somewhat taken aback when the clerk informed her that the check would have to be indorsed by her before it could be cashed.

"Why, it's a good check. My husband sent it to me. He's away on business."

"Yes, madam, it's perfectly all right. But, please sign it on the back so that your husband will know that you got the money."

The bride walked to the writing desk, seemed to be lost in deep contemplation for a moment, and then returned to the teller's window and handed the check to him.

Great was his surprise when he saw scrawled across the back of the check: "Your loving wife, Ethel."

Liadan  
#138 Posted : Friday, July 25, 2008 10:14:31 AM(UTC)
Liadan

Little Johnny was in class and the teacher announced that they were going to try something different to help everyone get to know each other a little better, and to help with their spelling.

She explained, "I want you to stand up and give us the occupation of your father, spell it, and say one thing he would give us all if he was here today."

The first student raised her hand to volunteer.

"Marcy," the teacher said. "You may go first."

Marcy replied, "My father is a banker. B-A-N-K-E-R and if he was here today, he would give us all a shiny new penny."

The teacher said, "Very nice, Marcy, who wants to go next?"

Kevin stood up and announced, "My father is a baker. B-A-K-E-R and if he was here today, he would give us all a freshly-baked cookie."

"Very good," the teacher told Kevin.

Jeff was next, and he said, "My father is an accountant. A-K, no wait, A-C-K, no..."

Before he could attempt to spell it once more, the teacher cut him off and told him to sit back down and to think about it for a while. When he thought he knew how to spell it, he could stand back up and try again.

Little Johnny raised his hand in excitement hoping to be acknowledged by the teacher. The teacher called on little Johnny to go next.

Johnny said, "My father is a bookie. B-O-O-K-I-E and if he was here today, he would give us all 20:1 odds Jeff will never be able to spell "accountant."

Liadan  
#139 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:16:00 AM(UTC)
Liadan

An old Native American wanted a loan for $500. He approached his local BANKER. The banker pulled out the loan application, asking, "What are you going to do with the money?"

"Take jewelry to city and sell it," said the old man.

"What have you got for collateral?" queried the banker, going strictly by the book.

"Don't know of collateral."

"Well that's something of value that would cover the cost of the loan. Have you got any vehicles?"

"Yes, I have a 1949 Chevy pickup."

The banker shook his head, "How about livestock?"

"Yes, I have a horse."

"How old is it?"

"I don't know; it has no teeth."

Finally the banker decided to make the $500 loan. Several weeks later the old man was back in the bank. He pulled out a roll of bills, "Here's the money to pay loan," he said, handing the entire amount including interest.

"What are you going to do with the rest of that money?"

"Put it in my pocket."

"Why don't you deposit it in my bank?" he asked.

"I don't know of deposit."

"Well, you put the money in our bank and we take care of it for you. When you want to use it you can withdraw it."

The old Indian leaned across the desk, looking suspiciously at the banker, and asked, "What you got for collateral?"

Liadan  
#140 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:26:51 AM(UTC)
Liadan

According to the FBI, most modern-day bank robberies are "unsophisticated and unprofessional crimes," committed by young male repeat offenders who apparently don't know the first thing about their business. This information was included in an article titled "How Not to Rob a Bank," by Tim Clark, which appeared in the 1987 edition of The Old Farmers Almanac.

Clark reported that in spite of the widespread use of surveillance cameras, 76 percent of bank robbers use no disguise, 86 percent never study the bank before robbing it, and 95 percent make no long-range plans for concealing the loot. Thus, he offered this advice to would-be bank robbers, along with examples of what can happen if the rules aren't followed:

1. Pick the right bank. Clark advises that you don't follow the lead of the fellow in Anaheim, Cal., who tried to hold up a bank that was no longer in business and had no money. On the other hand, you don't want to be too familiar with the bank. A California robber ran into his mother while making his getaway. She turned him in.

2. Approach the right teller. Granted, Clark says, this is harder to plan. One teller in Springfield, Mass., followed the holdup man out of the bank and down the street until she saw him go into a restaurant. She hailed a passing police car, and the police picked him up. Another teller was given a holdup note by a robber, and her father, who was next in line, wrestled the man to the ground and sat on him until authorities arrived.

3. Don't sign your demand note. Demand notes have been written on the back of a subpoena issued in the name of a bank robber in Pittsburgh, on an envelope bearing the name and address of another in Detroit, and in East Hartford, Conn., on the back of a withdrawal slip giving the robber's signature and account number.

4. Beware of dangerous vegetables. A man in White Plains, N. Y., tried to hold up a bank with a zucchini. The police captured him at his house, where he showed them his "weapon. "

5. Avoid being fussy. A robber in Panorama City, Cal., gave a teller a note saying, "I have a gun. Give me all your twenties in this envelope." The teller said, "All I've got is two twenties." The robber took them and left.

6. Don't advertise. A holdup man thought that if he smeared mercury ointment on his face, it would make him invisible to the cameras. Actually, it accentuated his features, giving authorities a much clearer picture. Bank robbers in Minnesota and California tried to create a diversion by throwing stolen money out of the windows of their cars. They succeeded only in drawing attention to themselves.

7. Take right turns only. Avoid the sad fate of the thieves in Florida who took a wrong turn and ended up on the Homestead Air Force Base. They drove up to a military police guardhouse and, thinking it was a tollbooth, offered the security men money.

8. Provide your own transportation. It is not clever to borrow the teller's car, which she carefully described to police. This resulted in the most quickly solved bank robbery in the history of Pittsfield, Mass.

9. Don't be too sensitive. In these days of exploding dye packs, stuffing the cash into your pants can lead to embarrassing stains, Clark points out, not to mention severe burns in sensitive places--as bandits in San Diego and Boston painfully discovered.

10. Consider another line of work. One nervous Newport, R.I., robber, while trying to stuff his ill-gotten gains into his shirt pocket, shot himself in the head and died instantly. Then there was the case of the hopeful criminal in Swansea, Mass., who, when the teller told him she had no money, fainted. He was still unconscious when the police arrived.

In view of such ineptitude, it is not surprising that in 1978 and 1979, for example, federal and state officers made arrests in 69 percent of the bank holdups reported.