logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
termi21  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2007 8:24:56 PM(UTC)
termi21

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hello all, first of all i would like to say that i am not a programmer (at all) and the things i learned after starting using Metastock for 1 week now are a bit too overwhelming sometimes. So any help would be appreciated. Right now i am using an excel file to create indicators, experts, systems appropriate to my own thinking. I use excel to speed up the writing, but then i have to copy-paste every bit of formula to the appropriate place in the Metastock builders. I know i can export the formula from Excel in a txt format.

1)Is there a way to automatically import the txt formulas in Metastock?

2)Maybe convert to the appropriate metastock dat format to import with Organizers?

3)Or even better a file that can be copied directly to the Metastock folder and then the program can use it?

Any of the above would help me greatly. Thank you in advance,

Termi

termi21  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 4:29:29 AM(UTC)
termi21

Nothing...? :)

ok :) and....

4) How about making a function to the forum.dll to grab formulas from TXTs?

ex. we make 4 seperate TXTs (buy.txt, sell.txt, sellshort.txt, buytocover.txt, etc) and the forum.dll grabs the formulas from the txts and places them in the appropriate place to the explorer, system, etc (just an idea! don't know if that's possible! :) )

hayseed  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 12:27:09 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey termi.... there is no way known to me to import text itself and have it automatically placed in the proper location.... cut and paste is just about the only route.....

once you spend some time with meta you might find it easier to use the indicator builder, expert builder and so on , as opposed to excell..... those builders have direct links to all functions, dll's and such..... using excell you'll be bouncing back and forth......

some might use notepad but that was often due to the small work areas in prior meta versions.... the work areas in v10 is limited only by your monitor size .....

it might not be apparent now, but when it comes to indicator, experts, explorations or system creation, the builders are the solution ......h

termi21  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 1:57:24 PM(UTC)
termi21

hayseed wrote:

hey termi.... there is no way known to me to import text itself and have it automatically placed in the proper location.... cut and paste is just about the only route.....

once you spend some time with meta you might find it easier to use the indicator builder, expert builder and so on , as opposed to excell..... those builders have direct links to all functions, dll's and such..... using excell you'll be bouncing back and forth......

some might use notepad but that was often due to the small work areas in prior meta versions.... the work areas in v10 is limited only by your monitor size .....

it might not be apparent now, but when it comes to indicator, experts, explorations or system creation, the builders are the solution ......h

I well... Copy-Paste it is then! :) Although i am sure (4) was an interesting idea for our dear programmers here :) (Hope is tha last one to die they say... :) )

Do you know any tricks to increase the available character space for formulas? What i do is replace repeating formulas by assigning them letters and using 1 or 2-character constants. Any other ideas???

hayseed  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:58:28 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey termi.... the available character space is pretty much a done deal until equis boosts it up some.....

we can break the large formula up into small parts creating a indicator for each ...... then use the fml function to call that entire block of code but use only a few characters....

it's hard for me to envision running out of space, nothing of mine is that elaborate..... but there's a good chance henry and roy have both succeded in stuffing the code box flat full.....

here is a good example of henry breaking things down into 6 seperate indicators and then later calling those parts with fml("a1"), fml(a2"), and so on in the option strike indicator.......h

termi21  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2007 8:03:29 PM(UTC)
termi21

Yeah i got it, thanx again man! :)

It's nice that almost everything has a solution, but it's not nice that Equis produces the problems that need solutions! (I am sure, putting more space, columns,etc is not a big problem to them)