logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pikachu  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2007 6:55:04 AM(UTC)
pikachu

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Does anyone know the formula for creating and validating the pivots used in Power Pivots?
How different is it from the standard pivots?

I got some nearly too good to be true results with Pivot Rotation and want to verify the results.

Thanks,
mark

*PP  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2007 10:47:03 AM(UTC)
*PP

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hi mark,

u got that aweasome results because the pivot points are dynamicaly established after the fact using hindsight

*PP  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2007 10:48:00 AM(UTC)
*PP

play with x axes loaded date and u will see what i mean
pikachu  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2007 3:42:15 PM(UTC)
pikachu

Thanks PP. My biggest concern is that almost all the positions are opened and closed on the same bar. Highly suspicious.

mark

henry1224  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2007 7:57:19 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Considering that the systems that come with PP+ are password protected, it is amazing how users can conjure up as to how the PP+ functions actually work.

Yes the pivots need to be formed, but many users misuse this add-on.

Pivots should be used as support and resistance levels.

The real asset of this add-on is in the external functions that enhance Metastock

*PP  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:50:24 AM(UTC)
*PP

"Considering that the systems that come with PP+ are password protected, it is amazing how users can conjure up as to how the PP+ functions actually work."

Password protected or not its clear that the signals apear after the fact or disapear after a few bars.

If the real asset is the external functions that enhance metastock then those systems using hindsight should not be there because it tricks people with amazing results. Now, whats really amazing its how people find an explanation to every crap just to justify its use. I`m pretty sure that one could find some use to something like RBS (Ramona Bands Strategy) if it were for sale, lucky enough some people are honest enough not to sell something like that and instead present it like a joke.

Maby the external functions from PP+ are useful i don`t say no, but are those functions really the reason why people buy PP+ ?

minnamor  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:08:06 AM(UTC)
minnamor

Have a careful read through PP Yahoo forum at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PowerPivots/. The issue raised on the validity of some password protected systems included in the add-on is addressed by the author in the forum. Search for discussion of the Contrarian System. I do not wish to repeat here the reasons given by the author for including a potentially misleading system in the distributed version of the add-on. He also gives a revised version of the Contrarian system repeated below:

TR:= ExtFml( "PowerPivots.PivotTrigger");
TD:=ExtFml("PowerPivots.TrendDirection",1,1);
LE:=Cross(C,ExtFml("PowerPivots.NthPivotPrice", -1, 0, 1)) AND TD=-1 and tr=-1;
SE:=Cross(ExtFml("PowerPivots.NthPivotPrice",1,0,1),C) AND TD=1 and tr=1;
LX:=C<ExtFml("PowerPivots.NthPivotPrice",-1,0,1);
SX:=C>ExtFml("PowerPivots.NthPivotPrice",1,0,1);

One should also read carefully the commentary to the systems provided with PP in which it is clearly explained that they are provided to show how to apply the indicators in other systems. Unfortunately, the documentation of the add-on was lacking in detail and incomplete. There are plenty of resources in the internet that provide details on the functions included in PP.

pikachu  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:43:26 PM(UTC)
pikachu

I am not sure that these password protected systems are meant to show you how to use the plugin, afterall the formulas are password protected and not shown.

What I don't understand is why is Equis bundling these after the fact password protected systems standard with MS Pro. As add-ons, it is quite a different matter though.

wabbit  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:50:54 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi All,

The password protected codes in MS is not the issue.

Even if you had the passwords to view the MS Formula Language codes, you would still have no idea on how the functions actually work because they are compiled in the PowerPivots.dll file which is unreadable by humans without a lot of work.

If you are REALLY, really interested in how the codes actually work, then I suggest you take a long deep breath, learn assembly language programming (you're going to need it), learn how to reverse engineer compiled codes (that is what it is going to take) then hire a lawyer (because you will be breaking the law in doing so).

I haven't tried doing it myself, but I will take a guess and say the reverse engineering of the PowerPivots.dll will take a skilled and knowledgable person maybe 40-50 hours to figure out. You could always hire a hacker/programmer for about US$500 per hour to do the reverse engineering, but that sort of limits the value of the original code doesn't it?

The only other way is to find the originator of the functions and ask them REALLY nicely to tell you exactly how it works. The chances of that are very slim indeed. If the originator no longer supports the product, what do you think is the chance of getting them to part with the algorithms?

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]

pikachu  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:27:26 PM(UTC)
pikachu

Bah. As *pp pointed out the PP systems are signals are generated after the fact, there is no more reason to spend any more time on this.

And if I really want to know the algorithm, I'd just load up the DLL and see what outputs it gives for certain inputs... no real need to go down to the Assembler path. :))