logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
longhair4277  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2007 6:19:09 PM(UTC)
longhair4277

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Just got my copy of FIRE and to quote C&R " I am all fired up " to get using it. I live in Canada and usually trade the canadian markets (TSX, TSX-V/CDNX). The MS data CD sections for "Sectors and Industries" as well as the "Stocks grouped by sectors" is for the Amaerican esxchanges. Does anyone know where I can get the same type of listings but for Canaidan Stocks?

Thanks in advance

LH

hayseed  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 5, 2007 6:55:39 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey lh..... i've posted that somewhere on the forum but can't seem to find it.... here's an example, the tse energy.... s&p has sectors for canada but seems like i got mine from chartsmart.... they are a excellent canadian firm i used for many years.....h
metanewbie  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 2, 2008 10:32:51 AM(UTC)
metanewbie

Hi.

I'd like to ask a new question regarding this subject.

I use FIRE also, mostly for European securities. So I intended to create an Excel spreadsheet containing the symbol, the name plus the sector of each securities, in order for FIRE to create the various folders and sub-folders.

Is there a way in Metastock to export a list of all securities into a .csv file (symbols + names) and to complete it manually with the sector ? Writing a routine that would read the content of MS directories and create the file automatically would be useless, since the security names are not displayed and are replaced with *.DAT type-of filenames...

...And since I'm at it, does anybody have any idea where I could find each security's sector of activity for european securities ...including Swiss ones :-) ?

Many thanks for any help !

MN

pkinvest  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 2:43:55 AM(UTC)
pkinvest

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

MN - great question !!!
I think in general MS is a bit behind the 'international' curve in terms of organizing itself with the European and Australian and Indian, Middle East - even sectorization with our north of the border CDN markets.

Those of us here in Europe are not given much online tech support except if we want to stay at work or up till way after business hours, ESignal has pretty much 24/7 support and lots of people in Europe to help.

Having said that - lets try to be positive and see how we can get this Utah group to work more closely with their parent - Reuters - as Reuters has all this INTL data in their systems for all international markets/indices. Unfortunately for us, Reuters only seems to want to deal with support to professional traders... so they will not talk to us directly I understand... Bummer..... Anyway - lets see if we could get a montly update in a separate file from Metastock for the major lists of shares and by sector at least for the
Stoxx50-Europe
Stoxx600-Europe - broken down into its 18 Groups please
and
FTSE 100
DAX 100
[ never mind the CAC40 = this is pretty simple to do ourselves)

I tried doing some screening on the entire gb or de or nl list - but using the entire EURONEXT grouping with be, fr, nl is really silly... Italy is a world unto its own as well - so that's why I would be really happy with just the STOXX600 updated monthly as to is total and also by its 18 sectors.....

MY ACTION: I will look around a bit more with Quotecenter to see what is possible - but it seems someone at MS - who basically provides QC - not Reuters - needs to help us out here....

Perhaps we need to form a non-US users group - as I have lots of resources for the US but few for non-US and this is where we might encourage MS to strive at least to match the data sources and support for these non-US data sources [that ESignal seems to provide when you use their software].

OK - gotta run - thanks to all who are trying to make this better.... pki