logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnnic  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:29:17 AM(UTC)
johnnic

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Here is the results of two monte carlo analyses of one system, the difference being that one has not used a stop loss and the other has. I would very much welcome the views of the experienced traders on this board as to which is the better and, most importanly, why? It seems to me that there are pros and cons of both and I have to admit to being a bit uncertain about what conclusions I should draw.

Trade Parameters Initial Capital: $20,000.00 $20,000.00 Portfolio Limit: 100.00% 100.00% Maximum number of open positions: 100 100 Position Size Model: Equal Percent Units Equal Percent Units Trade Size (% of total cap): 1.00% 1.00% Pyramid profits: No No Transaction cost rate (Trade Entry): 0.10% 0.10% Transaction cost rate (Trade Exit): 0.10% 0.10% Margin Requirement: 10.00% 10.00% Magnify Position Size(& Risk) according to Margin Req: Yes Yes Trade Preferences Trading Instrument: Stocks Stocks Break Even Trades: Process separately Process separately Trade Position Type: Process all trades Process all trades Entry Order Type: Market Order Market Order Exit Order Type: Default Order Default Order Minimum Trade Size: $0.00 $0.00 Accept Partial Trades: No No Volume Filter: Ignore Volume Information Ignore Volume Information Pyramid Trades: No No Use Level Zero trades only: Yes Yes Simulation Stats Number of trade simulations: 1000 1000 Trades processed per simulation: 511 678 Maximum Number of Trades Executed: 293 515 Average Number of Trades Executed: 273 497 Minimum Number of Trades Executed: 258 484 Standard Deviation: 5.05 4.59 Profit Stats Maximum Profit: $63,478.29 (317.39%) $63,009.57 (315.05%) Average Profit: $54,120.23 (270.60%) $56,775.58 (283.88%) Minimum Profit: $45,649.02 (228.25%) $51,221.61 (256.11%) Standard Deviation: $2,694.36 (13.47%) $1,582.11 (7.91%) Probability of Profit: 100.00% 100.00% Probability of Loss: 0.00% 0.00% Percent Winning Trade Stats Maximum percentage of winning trades: 77.94% 56.35% Average percentage of winning trades: 73.86% 54.16% Minimum percentage of winning trades: 70.07% 51.71% Standard Deviation: 1.21% 0.72% Percent Losing Trade Stats Maximum percentage of losing trades: 29.93% 48.29% Average percentage of losing Trades: 26.14% 45.84% Minimum percentage of losing trades: 22.06% 43.65% Standard Deviation: 1.21% 0.72% Average Relative Dollar Drawdown Stats Maximum of the Average Relative Dollar Drawdown: $156.31 $419.47 Average of the Average Relative Dollar Drawdown: $80.59 $337.88 Minimum of the Average Relative Dollar Drawdown: $51.58 $259.31 Standard Deviation: $11.94 $24.75 Average Relative Percent Drawdown Stats Maximum of the Average Relative Percent Drawdown: 0.22% 1.22% Average of the Average Relative Percent Drawdown: 0.12% 0.99% Minimum of the Average Relative Percent Drawdown: 0.08% 0.74% Standard Deviation: 0.02% 0.07% Maximum Peak-to-Valley Dollar Drawdown Stats Maximum Absolute Dollar Drawdown: $6,213.66 $13,406.49 Average Absolute Dollar Drawdown: $3,139.56 $10,835.14 Minimum Absolute Dollar Drawdown: $1,623.18 $8,029.19 Standard Deviation: $795.99 $760.05 Maximum Peak-to-Valley Percent Drawdown Stats Maximum Absolute Percent Drawdown: 8.66% 33.74% Average Absolute Percent Drawdown: 4.25% 27.27% Minimum Absolute Percent Drawdown: 2.07% 20.03% Standard Deviation: 1.10% 1.96%

johnnic  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:41:22 AM(UTC)
johnnic

A little further information to my post above. The period involved is 2006, ie the trading period started on 1 January 2006 and is based on trading Australi's top 300 stocks. I am trading CFDs with a $20,000 account giving me total trading capital (and risk) of $200,000. Results are quite similar (although obviously the profits are comparatively higher) over longer periods.

Jose  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2006 11:01:38 AM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
In the real world, system A's performance is 2~4 times better. This is why. jose '-)
johnnic  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2006 4:04:27 PM(UTC)
johnnic

Thanks Jose. That was my view as well, particularly because of the significant difference in the drawdowns between the two.

My problem, is that System A is based on not having any form of stop loss and the MAE is occasionally near 100% as a result. System B uses a 3*ATR stop loss and has significantly lower MAEs. Otherwise, the trading rules for both systems are identical.

When I do the backtesting over a longer period (1 January 2000 to present) I get very similar results with a maximum drawdown of 5.57% for System A (no stop) and a maximum drawdown of nearly 54% with System B (stop included). These drawdown percentages, of course, are based on my $20,000 margin capital not my full risk capital of $200,000.

So where does this leave me? Do I opt for the 'better' system without a stop loss at all and accept that I will get hit on individual stocks from time to time? Do I try and develop a better stop loss (although I am attacted to volatility based stop losses like the simple ATR one I am using to test).

All advice welcomed with glee!

John

Jose  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 23, 2006 10:47:19 PM(UTC)
Jose

John, I would concentrate on developing suitable exits. Stops should only be used as a last resort in case exits fail. Depending on stops for trade exits guarantees major losses (3*ATR in your case) on every single trade. StopLosses should be renamed StopProfits. ;) jose '-)
jjstein  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 25, 2006 9:03:53 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hmmm. Something seems amiss. WHY does the 3*ATR stop hit performance so hard?

If you'd like another viewpoint, using US data, drop me an email (JohnathanStein@yahoo.com) w/ the exploration. I'm curious enough to run the TS Monte Carlo on a couple of datasets (components of SP500, DJ30, Nasdaq 100).

Bullstock  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:13:05 AM(UTC)
Bullstock

Hi All,

Sorry for being naive to ask the following questions:-

1) What is monte carlo analyses? Does it mean the same as Enhanced System Tester of MS? Or is it a 3rd party simulation system? If so, can you give me a link?

2) Jose, I don't get your point that "In the real world, system A's performance is 2~4 times better.". Can you elaborate? (My understanding is that system A has not used a stop loss while system B has used a stop loss. Am I right on that?)

3) Jose, you also mentioned that "....I would concentrate on developing suitable exits."

What kind of exit strategies can be adopted? Do you or anyone suggest any good exit strategies to code and to be used? What articles / readings can we read in order to know more about it?

Best regards,

Bullstock

johnnic  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2006 12:53:36 AM(UTC)
johnnic

Bullstock

To quote Wikipedia, "Monte Carlo methods are a widely used class of computational algorithms for simulating the behavior of various physical and mathematical systems, and for other computations."

In my terms, it allows you to test a trading system without the restriction that a series of trades will always have the same outcome. For example, if your trading system produces ten alerts on a given day but you only have capital to trade, say, four of those alerts then Monte Carlo analysis will consider all ten possible trades (but only select four) and the subsequent effect on your outcome rather than just accept the first four. It will typically run a simulation many thousands of times and consider a multitude of different paths. Those results are then averaged and you can have significantly more confidence in the outcome as a result.

I use TradeSim (Enterprise) for my backtesting. http://www.compuvision.com.au/

I think Jose's point was that I should develop high quality exits and not rely solely on stop losses to get me out of trades. His point is well made and I fully agree. He may wish to add more.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

John

Jose  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:58:21 PM(UTC)
Jose

Thanks John. Now, imagine the uproar amongst traders if brokers increased their fees 25~50-fold, from an average of 0.2% to about 5~10% per trade. Crazy, eh? Well, that is what a "stoploss" does - it's a 5~10% guaranteed loss from the trade's most profitable stage. Every single trade (profitable or otherwise) that depends solely on a stoploss for an exit, is in effect a 5~10% additional brokerage fee. Given the fact that on average only one trade in three is profitable, the accrued guaranteed loss is more like 15~30%. Tight stops without exits guarantee losses in the long term due to the trade whipsaws. Loose stops without exits are basically buy & hold trades, and are usually subject to large drawdowns (increased risk). Smart traders don't wait until the market turns 5~10% against them to get out. They take into account market conditions and decide to get out at an estimated optimal stage, such as when volatility increases and price heats up, or when related markets do the same. Stoplosses should only be used as a safety net in case market conditions fail to signal a trade exit. jose '-)
Bullstock  
#10 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2006 6:17:05 PM(UTC)
Bullstock

Dear John, Jose,

I have some more questions:-

1) Does the analysis results, posted at the beginning of this thread, come from TradeSim?

2) Can TradeSim analyse intraday data?

3) Re "I think Jose's point was that I should develop high quality exits and not rely solely on stop losses to get me out of trades. His point is well made and I fully agree.", will you two give any advice or suggestion on developing high quality exits? .... I know that it is a broad question, but I just can't figure out how to tackle this question.

Regards,

Bullstock

Jose  
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2006 6:48:25 AM(UTC)
Jose

Exiting trades successfully without stops often involves trading against the short-term trend. This is usually known as contrarian trading (buying dips / selling highs), as opposed to trend-following. If the trader is aware of the underlying market trend, I sincerely doubt that there could be a better contrarian signal than that of indicator/price divergence. Some useful divergence tools for MetaStock can be found here and here. jose '-)
Bullstock  
#12 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2007 6:50:43 PM(UTC)
Bullstock

Dear Jose,

What you are saying is that a trader can go into trade if he is aware of the underlying market trend, then he can use your kits to exit with higer quality. I have visited your links and there seem to be somewhat complicated and a lot of choices too. There are some questions that I would like to ask.

Can you pinpoint it to one or two choices out of the kits?

Would MACDH Divergence be the best choices?

I am think of developing a trading system using Forum Latch with trailing stops. Can I combine the above mentioned high quality exit, e.g. MACDH Divergence sell signal for sell exit and similarly for buy exit, together with the trailing stops as a sa[censored]uard?

Regards,

Bullstock

johnnic  
#13 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2007 7:29:32 PM(UTC)
johnnic

Bullstock

Yes, the analysis results posted previously do come from TradeSim.

TradeSim can analyse intraday data provided, of course, that you have that data in a format that TradeSim can read (eg Metastock).

The Enterprise version of the software is very good, in my view.

John

Jose  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 1, 2007 8:44:49 PM(UTC)
Jose

Bullstock wrote:
What you are saying is that a trader can go into trade if he is aware of the underlying market trend, then he can use your kits to exit with higer quality.
Yes, but not necessarily using the Divergence kit signals - I mentioned this kit as an example of using potentially profitable value entry/exit points. Divergence is one of the tools used by many professional traders. Anything that takes one away from the mainstream public has the potential to be rewarding. Following the public (i.e. trend-following) leads to average returns at best.
Bullstock wrote:
I am think of developing a trading system using Forum Latch with trailing stops.  Can I combine the above mentioned high quality exit, e.g. MACDH Divergence sell signal for sell exit and similarly for buy exit, together with the trailing stops as a sa[censored]uard?
Well, I am thinking of building a house with a hammer and quality variable-speed drill, together with some good cement and roof tiles. Not having much experience in designing or building houses, the chance that these tools will create my dream house for me is unlikely to say the least. :) I'm not saying that others are in the same situation as myself, but I would steer clear of the implicit idea that the trading tools are the key to a profitable trading strategy. Trading tools are only useful when understood, customized and applied properly, combined with some personal experience. Trading tools of any kind constitute only a small percentage of any successful strategy. It's the personal strategy and experience, with the aid of these tools that can lead to profitable trading. jose '-)
smg  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 12:04:29 AM(UTC)
smg

Mr. John, Jose

Thanks for sharing your views about the Tradesim software. I visited the weblink of the developers. From the description on the homepage there and on further readings of the forum there, I get the impression that the software can analyse EOD periodicities only.

http://www.compuvision.com.au/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=340&highlight=intraday

Am I missing something somewhere?

Further, Is this software compatible with the MSX Dlls that we could be already using in MetaStock. I mean - is there any instance when we might feel handicapped while using the testing capabilities in this SW vs. the EST of MetaStock?

I will look forward to your views.

Regards

SMG

Bullstock  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 3:29:58 AM(UTC)
Bullstock

Thanks Jose.

Well, with the understanding of limited knowledge in coding, I think I should look for trading system(s), readily available in the market, that ought to be profitable. Do you and any other experienced traders have any comment?

Bullstock

Jose  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 6:58:03 AM(UTC)
Jose

SMG, TradeSim cannot test intraday signals, but is worlds apart from MetaStock's System Tester.
Bullstock wrote:
I think I should look for trading system(s), readily available in the market, that ought to be profitable.
Good luck in finding one. ;) jose '-)
Bullstock  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 8:44:26 AM(UTC)
Bullstock

SMG, TradeSim cannot test intraday signals, but is worlds apart from MetaStock's System Tester.

Is there any third party software testing intraday data apart from MS EST?

Good luck in finding one. ;)

Got the feeling that it is not that easy to locate profitable trading system(s) that work with intraday data especially. Am I right? Could any experience MS user comment also?

Bullstock

PTJim  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 1:37:53 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Bullstock wrote:
Got the feeling that it is not that easy to locate profitable trading system(s) that work with intraday data especially. Am I right? Could any experience MS user comment also?

I think Jose's point (with which I would agree) is that you're not going to find a ready-made "profitable trading system" that you can just buy and switch on. If such a thing could exist it would either wreck the markets or be made useless as the market adapted away from it. Canned systems can't work for long, if indeed they ever worked at all, because of the changing, fluid nature of the markets.

The key is to educate yourself about individual and market psychology, determine how to trade to fit your goals, available time and psychology, then figure out a system of your own whether it's mechanical or discretionary. But no matter what, you need to be able to understand your system thoroughly and adapt it as markets change. No purchased system can do that for you.

And forgive me if I'm incorrect, but I gather from your postings that you're relatively new to trading (I have a lot to learn myself). If so, why the infatuation with intraday trading? You wouldn't hop into the [censored]pit of an F-16 with no pilot training, would you? Without intuitive, reflexive skills, a solid plan, rigorous money management and a lot of experience, intraday trading is simply a method to lose all your capital faster, with higher commission costs to boot.

Bullstock  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 10:12:28 PM(UTC)
Bullstock

Jim,

Thanks for your advice. Your post has raised some good questions to think about.

I would like to find out workable intraday trading system as I have found that some workable EOD systems won't work in intraday data. This makes me a it confused and don't know the reasons. Well, there are systems selling in the market and I just curious whether there are systems working in intraday data. I think there should be some trading systems working in intraday data, otherwise all buyers would be cheated. Therefore seek advices here in the forum. What I am saying now is to search and analyse the trading system for intraday data, but not testing them with real money.

Another issue is mechanical versus discretionary: this is a very good question! Discretionary would mean an introduction of human factor or experience if you prefer. For me, I tend to believe in mechanical trading with signals given by a system. This need to conduct blacktesting. A good blacktesting result that may give a better idea whether the system works or not. You may say the market may change due to the fuild nature of market. But, will you believe in a system that produced huge losses or consistent losses in the past!? A system with a good blacktesting result may mean that the system would likely work in the future and is free from human factors (including emotion).

I have read your posts elsewhere, knowing that you have bought some add-ons or plug-ins. I wonder if you have blacktesting them with EOD / intraday data. If you have, could you share the reults with us.

To me, blacktesting results are somewhat scientific to believe in! Someone may say a system worked perfectly yesterday that yielded a huge profit. But I would ask, what would be the yield if you use it for the past year. A single or a few profitable trades yielded from a system won't be give a solid evidence whether it works in the long run or not.

cheers

Bullstock