logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mwaseemtaqi  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 23, 2006 10:36:04 PM(UTC)
mwaseemtaqi

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I am interested to buy a plug in from the following:

- Chart Pattern Recognition

- Nisons Candlesticks unleashed

If any body has used these plug in, pls put some words here how did you find and how accurate are these?

What are advantages and disadvantages of these plug ins?

Thanks for your comments

Regards

WT

vaughn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:08:23 PM(UTC)
vaughn

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I have the chart pattern recognition Plugin, it is under my coffee cup right now. I read a couple of posts here and other boards that said a few people had some success, so I picked it up. I also have John Murphy's book on TA so I was hopeful, but not immediately impressed with the standard settings. With most PlugIns, I have heard, it is what you are able to configure yourself and incorporate in your code that is important. In the back of the “Plugin manual” there is 6 different patterns that you can modify the parameters of. I played with them some and gave up. There are patterns that flag, that doesn't even look close to what they are looking for. There are other times when something looks like a textbook example that no matter what parameters are used will not trigger. I think I was expecting to be able to visualize the patterns like in an example - which is not always the case.

I would say that pattern recognition would probably be one of the hardest to code because a pattern might be subjective. I didn't send CPR back because I didn't have enough time to dedicate to testing it after I bought it. I am trying to better my coding ability so that it might be useful. If you are wanting to pull it out of the box and having it start identifying setups for great trades without spending a lot of time to really get to know it, that is probably not realistic. If you have the time to pull it apart and test everything – it might be worth your while. Check to see if they still have the 30 day return thing if you don't like it just in case. I am still hopeful for it to be useful, but I have a lot to learn and a lot of testing with it to go.

billtrudeau  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 24, 2006 6:52:31 PM(UTC)
billtrudeau

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

If you are interested in chart patterns and candlestick patterns, try Thomas Bulkowski's website. In addition to the educational information there, he has a pattern recognition program, which he wrote for himself, that is available for free. You can convert your MetaStock data to text format and use it in his software. Truly, an amazing piece of software and website.
PTJim  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 12:21:13 AM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Bill, thanks for mentioning Bulkowski; I wasn't familiar with his work and his books/site look interesting.

Here's a direct link to his website:

Thomas Bulkowski site.
NetWorthless  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 5:00:16 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

billtrudeau wrote:
If you are interested in chart patterns and candlestick patterns, try Thomas Bulkowski's website. In addition to the educational information there, he has a pattern recognition program, which he wrote for himself, that is available for free. You can convert your MetaStock data to text format and use it in his software. Truly, an amazing piece of software and website.

You will also find that Bulkowski is a frequent contributor to Active Trader Magazine. I second that opinion on his pattern recognition software. I have been dabbling with it off and on over the past few months. Very interesting indeed and you can't beat the price. His Encyclopedia of Chart Patterns book is a straight forward, no nonsense, guide to pattern analysis. It is particularly revealing in its detailed treatment of performance statistics for the various patterns.

With that said, I have been using Murphy's CPR for two years now and have found it most useful. I have also recently purchased Nison's Candlesticks. Just getting started with this one but I have made some good trades thus far. Will post more details on both of these as I find the time...

billtrudeau  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 5:16:30 AM(UTC)
billtrudeau

I have picked up Active Trader from the newstand occasionally, but do not subscribe. I know that Thomas Bulkowski is now a regular contributor to Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities, so suspect that he may no longer write for Active Trader. I was set to purchase some of the older articles from Active Trader, but decided, instead, to purchase all three of Bulkowski's book through his website. I have had John Murphy's plugin from the time it was first released. Bulkowski's software checks for many more patterns, both chart and candlestick, than does Murphy's. Thomas updates his software regularly and he makes it available for free, because he does not want the hastle associated with a commercial release. Bulkowski seems to have done quite well for himself since becoming full time trader.
NetWorthless  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 6:36:26 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

billtrudeau wrote:
I have had John Murphy's plugin from the time it was first released. Bulkowski's software checks for many more patterns, both chart and candlestick, than does Murphy's.

Yeah, but it is not integrated with MetaStock and that's a big down side for me. This is particularly a problem as far as it pertains to getting all of your data "easily" into the program. Also, sometimes more is not necessarily better. With Bulkowski, even though you can selectively chose which patterns you are interested in, all those patterns and signals can become quite overwhelming and it is easy to lose the forest for the tress if you are not careful. I have found over the years that the closer you can stick to the basics, the better your performance.

One of my gripes with Murphy is that even with only a handful of patterns recognized; it often flags too many things when filtering across the total market universe on a daily basis. I would prefer to have some kind of "quality" indicator included to help weed out both the lower probability and more riskier setups, rather than to have to visually inspect all filtered output each time I run an exploration. One thing is certain, if you blindly traded every setup that Murphy spits out, you would go belly up in a heart beat. It is just a starting point to give you some potential pattern setups. It’s not a silver bullet by any respect but I have found that it tracks down some very good trade candidates that I would not have been aware through other analysis techniques. With that said, I do agree that there are many well-formed patterns that simply slip through the software's "black box" algorithm. With the market, as it is elsewhere in life, it is always best to focus on the opportunities rather the missed opportunities, however.

Don't get me wrong, I have found Bulkowski's Patternz, Murphy's CPR and NCU all to be useful to various degrees. Likewise all of these have their own individual drawbacks as well. I will post some more detailed thoughts on all of these packages when I can find the time...

billtrudeau  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:30:16 AM(UTC)
billtrudeau

I have a folder full of favorite stocks that I watch. With the downloader, I can convert and send all of these stocks to Bulkowski's program with one click. I tend to just look at the most reliable and most profitable patterns with his software. I imagine that it could be quite formidable to program many of his patterns in MetaStock, but perhaps they may update Murphy's plugin at some point.
richieds  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:46:21 AM(UTC)
richieds

I own the Chart Pattern Recognition plug in and have found it to be of little use. Confirmed signals are few and far between and about the only signals it seems to come up with are triangles. I'm convinced that the only real way to find tradable chart patterns is the old fashioned way. I consider this a good thing. If it were as easy as pressing a button on your computer then most patterns would be quickly rendered meaningless as there would be far too many traders jumping into the same patterns at the same time.
NetWorthless  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2006 11:10:03 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

richieds wrote:
If it were as easy as pressing a button on your computer then most patterns would be quickly rendered meaningless as there would be far too many traders jumping into the same patterns at the same time.

Ahhh, but jumping in at the same time is precisely what you want them to do. I have learned to pay heed to the self-fulfilling prophecy Gods who oftentimes masquerade themselves in what is commonly referred to as “volume”. Let’s never forget what lies beneath all those MetaStock-generated squiggles on the chart and what they so silently whisper to those who listen. My apologies for waxing poetic but it is Saturday morning and I am only on my first cup of coffee so the realities of life have not yet fully settled back into my consciousness.

Being a discretionary trader by nature I certainly do agree whole-heartedly with you on the truism that it is never as easy as pressing a button on your computer. I’m just looking for a slight edge with which to play the hard right edge of the chart and any tools that help, if even occasionally, in obtaining that edge, well, they’re OK in my book.

The task at hand is simple, however. All you need to know is which tools to use and how to properly apply them, along with a dash of good money management, of course. And perhaps a bit of good luck as well. ;-)
Skyman  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 6:33:18 AM(UTC)
Skyman

NetWorthless wrote:

With that said, I have been using Murphy's CPR for two years now and have found it most useful. I have also recently purchased Nison's Candlesticks. Just getting started with this one but I have made some good trades thus far. Will post more details on both of these as I find the time...

Hi, I am new to Metastock and to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance.

I purchased Nissons Candlesticks, but have been unable to get it to work at all. I wonder if you could possibly help in this regard?

Thanks

NetWorthless  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2007 10:32:40 PM(UTC)
NetWorthless

Skyman wrote:

Hi, I am new to Metastock and to this forum, so please excuse my ignorance.

I purchased Nissons Candlesticks, but have been unable to get it to work at all. I wonder if you could possibly help in this regard?

Thanks

Hello Skyman. Welcome to the forum!

I have no problem with offering my experiences on the use of this particular software product. However, with installation problems, I would contact Equis Support directly or the vendor from which you originally purchased the software if other than Equis.

mwaseemtaqi  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:54:00 PM(UTC)
mwaseemtaqi

HI Networthless,

Have you tried Nison's Candlestocks plug in? How it is working?

I intend to buy this plug in for my metastock.

Thanks

Regards

WT

NetWorthless  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:54:34 PM(UTC)
NetWorthless

mwaseemtaqi wrote:

HI Networthless,

Have you tried Nison's Candlestocks plug in? How it is working?

I intend to buy this plug in for my metastock.

Thanks

Regards

WT

mwaseemtaqi -

I should start with the caveat that I purchased NCU only recently and, as such, need more time before drawing any meaningful conclusions. Although the package is relatively straightforward and easy to use, I have only had limited success thus far in finding good trade candidates.

The first step in utilizing the NCU system for screening of potential candlestick trade candidates involves making an assessment (on a daily basis) of the underlying state of the market (i.e. bullish, bearish, or neutral). This is achieved utilizing the supplied NCU – SPY Global Market Monitor, a proprietary indicator developed by adaptick which is only to be used against the SP500 SPDR ETF. This “Market Monitor”, which according to the NCU manual “synthesizes trend, volatility, volume, and price momentum into one technical indicator” is said to correlate well with both U.S. and major world equity markets.

Well, that may be but herein lies the rub. In the few months that I have been using the NCU system, I have found that this proprietary indicator has not been a good gauge of overall market direction, and therefore screening for candlestick candidates has often resulted in either returning a null set or has yielded a short list of mostly unreliable trade candidates. As an example, during the most recent leg up in the market, the NCU – SPY Global Market Monitor has generated 13 SELL signals out of the past 47 trading days (nearly 9 weeks). More importantly, not one BUY signal has been generated over this same 9-week period as the SPY has advanced more than 7%! Keep in mind that these are not candle signals but indications on which side of the market you should be trading on and therefore screening for utilizing the provided candlestick trade explorations. With that said, I would clearly not want to be on the short side of this current market (candlesticks or otherwise).

My sense is that this could be a useful package but that the Market Monitor needs a bit more refining as it seems, at least at present, to be out of sync with the reality of the overall trend in the market. Even so, this may be just Murphy’s Law at work and could be a temporary condition. Who knows, things my sync up in the future. Hell, this most recent run has caught many people on the wrong side of the market, so why should the software be any different.