logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jose  
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2006 3:32:11 PM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hayseed, have you tried importing your previously saved MS version 9.x's indicators/explorations/experts/templates into v10? If so, everything ok? jose '-)
hayseed  
#22 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:22:54 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey jose.... i saw your post before but was going to reinstall this weekend from scratch with known indicators,dlls,experts and such before answering....

i did not expect v10 to install in the manner it did so that computer is kinda topsy-turvy.....

the ksr dll from the russian dude has a splash screen that might get in the way....

i'll let ya know more......h

hayseed  
#23 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:16:51 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jose..... indicators and such import normally......

however, i would strongly suggest not installing v10 on any computer containing a prior version if you might want to revert back to even on a temporary basis.... and no mater what, be sure to create a system restore point prior to installation.....

reverting back might be a tough task.... i have folders named equis9, equis9.1, and equis9.2 each containing that version...... as it stands now simply renaming the folder to plain equis will allow me to open that version.... takes a couple seconds......

v10 does not play that.... even uninstalling v10 will not allow the others to open.... curiously, even using the cd's to do a complete reinstall will not allow the programs to open.... you will get several differing error messages during the installation and meta immeadiately shuts down on start up due to missing module.....

only through uninstalling v10 and using system restore to a prior point could i get the prior versions running as before....

i need 9 for esignal running untill equis offers v10 for esignal , so i'll just keep v10qc to itself..... odds are i'll be givin dell a holler..... a early christmas, if ya know what i mean.......h

Jose  
#24 Posted : Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:35:18 PM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks Hayseed. Cheers, jose '-)
PTJim  
#25 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2006 12:12:27 AM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
hayseed wrote:

.... even uninstalling v10 will not allow the others to open.... curiously, even using the cd's to do a complete reinstall will not allow the programs to open.... you will get several differing error messages during the installation and meta immeadiately shuts down on start up due to missing module.....

only through uninstalling v10 and using system restore to a prior point could i get the prior versions running as before....

Wow, 'seed, that sounds really evil and a PITA; even Micro$oft doesn't pull crap like that - not only will it let you run old Excel, Word or whatever but you can even boot multiple OSs if you wish. So what happens if you're trying v10 for a 30-day trial period - does it kill your existing licensed copy if you decide to return it? (you said uninstalling v10 doesn't re-enable older versions, even after reinstalling them.) I'll bet there will be people who don't have the ability or foresight to do a system restore, then find their older version has been shot in the head, leaving them with nothing.

This is going to be bad for developers if it doesn't change, and as just a lowly user I'm offended by the attitude taken toward paying customers by doing it this way. Actively disabling older versions? Sheesh. I don't suppose you can run two instances of v10 on one machine for different workspaces, can you?

I think I'll just stick with 9.1 until we see how this goes. Can't wait to hear stories of what happens if a drive fails or a license file gets corrupted when the Equis License Enforcement Operations Bureau isn't answering the phones . . . . . .

hayseed  
#26 Posted : Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:42:02 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey jim.... installation of v10 is different , no doubt about that.... but prior versions are not completely dead, their still there and we still have the cd's..... we just need to figure out a simple way to return that does not involve equis tech support.... however , tech support is there ready and waiting.... and let's not overlook the possibility that the problem could have been on my end......

kinda bet the number of customers returning v10 will be almost nill.... and the number of users wanting to maintain older versions likely will be small.... i myself will no longer maintain separate versions once v10 esignal is available.....

failing drives and corrupted files shouldn't be a problem, other than the obvious.... the license is just a 15 digit number which can be reinput and we would still have the cd for drive failures....

i might give pyradius's suggestions above ...... h

hayseed  
#27 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2006 3:04:13 PM(UTC)
hayseed

brief update.... while reading roys newsletter last night i was overcome with jealously.... his meta versions don't conflict ... mine do.... or did.... but mine are realtime, his are eod, and there is a big difference in how the two work..... still his success was enough to get my mind workin on a solution that even a hayseed could use..... thanks roy....

and btw, a very big thanks to jennifer on equis tech support for this pointer.... i previously uninstalled version 10 to reclaim my prior esignal version .... last nite reading of roys success i tried to re-install v10 again but no go.... kept gettin a 'temp msi' file error.... as it turns out uninstalling v10 does not uninstall the qc component.... we must use the add/remove new programs and remove quotecenter , then reinstall the whole shootin match.....

after a full day of studyin high tech methods i'm embarassed to say a simple solution finally hit me..... so here is where we stand as of now.... we can have both esignal pro 9 on and offline versions working with v10 for qc on and offline versions on the same computer on the same drive.......

everything works fine and more importantly switching back and forth is again easy... i did not try pyradius's suggestion swapping hkey_current_user>software but i trust his judgement there.... will post the details later, its 4pm, the market is closed and the deer stand is callin.......h

PTJim  
#28 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2006 4:02:15 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
hayseed wrote:

will post the details later, its 4pm, the market is closed and the deer stand is callin.......h

A man's gotta have his priorities straight to live a happy life.

Good for you.

mstt  
#29 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2006 8:15:49 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Hi Hayseed

I’ve had no problems with several versions all installed at the same time in their own folders. The only time I’ve gotten into trouble in the past was when I uninstalled one version. For that reason I don’t even contemplate uninstalling now – I just install and use the new version as and when I want to, and leave older versions is place for when I want to use them.

The one issue that does annoy me a little is that smart charts are not backward compatible. This means that once I’ve opened a security in MS 10 I can’t open the same file in MS 9.1 until the smart chart has deleted. MS 10 is quite happy to accept an earlier version smart chart but not the other way around. Nothing new with that this time around.

Roy

MetaStock Tips & Tools

mstt  
#30 Posted : Friday, October 13, 2006 8:32:18 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Hi Hayseed

You’re right about me only reporting on what happens with EOD versions. I have no idea of the difficulties that might crop up with multiple real-time versions installed.

Roy

MetaStock Tips & Tools

hayseed  
#31 Posted : Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:53:28 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey roy.... my experience with the prior versions is the same as yours.... my hike around the smart chart issue has been just to keep seperate metastock data folders which of course keeps the smart charts seperate....

v10 realtime version installs quite differently than the eod version.... its very likely pyradius's suggestion might work best as we don't have complete control over what gets installed where... and after install we can't just move componets to suit our needs without causing other problems...

my method , which is by no means perfect, does work but has issues itself.... i have discovered at least one c++ runtine error that completely shuts down v10 .....

but of course all this just a interesting passtime till v10 for esignal is released...

money is different in different parts of the world but for my money v10 is a real steal.... i would have gladly paid patrick far more than 200 bucks to write the new features in for me......

a better way to appreciate the price would be to advertise for bids... such as, any programers out there want to submit bids to code in number 11 on the 2nd page wish list....

Ability to sort custom indicators into different folders. For example, the list displayed in the indicator builder would have different levels... a tree view; regardless of where the actual indicator is stored....

i'll glady pay 200 for that also....heck, i might even go to 225..... and speaking of well worth the price, always enjoy your msst news letter....thanks.....h

hayseed  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:26:09 PM(UTC)
hayseed

there is a compatibility patch out for v10.... of course most will know this, but some might not, might be a good idea to use the organizer and export everything prior to the new install.... also make a copy of your charts folder, C:\Program Files\equis\MetaStock\Charts , that holds your layouts, templates and such....

if for some reason you get the error of a missing msi file like i did, remember jennifers suggestion posted above....

the rmo deal has a training video, you might have better luck with broadband..... h

hayseed  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:40:25 PM(UTC)
hayseed

i'll reinstall v10 to make sure the problem is not on my end..... can't seem to find any documention reguarding the inability to use a filter for column k and/or column l, but it appears to void the exploration when used with other columns being filtered also..... all securities are rejected....

however, when only colk or coll is filtered, meta shuts down..... can somebody verify they can filter column k and/or coll with no problems..... either the v10 pro or eod versions..... you don't have to fill all columns, you can just put rsi(14) in k and put colk in the filter section ....

and again, the problem could be on my end.....h

NetWorthless  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:54:28 PM(UTC)
NetWorthless

hayseed wrote:

i'll reinstall v10 to make sure the problem is not on my end..... can't seem to find any documention reguarding the inability to use a filter for column k and/or column l, but it appears to void the exploration when used with other columns being filtered also..... all securities are rejected....

however, when only colk or coll is filtered, meta shuts down..... can somebody verify they can filter column k and/or coll with no problems..... either the v10 pro or eod versions..... you don't have to fill all columns, you can just put rsi(14) in k and put colk in the filter section ....

and again, the problem could be on my end.....h

hayseed -

I have v10 EOD (build date Sep 28 2006). I ran an exploration with RSI(14) in colk. I filtered for colk>70.0 and loaded the SP500. The exploration completed normally (no crash) but all 500 securities were rejected. Under the "Rejects" tab of the report it indicated the following for all 500 stocks: "Results of formula not defined on calculation date".

hayseed  
#35 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:48:44 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey net.... thanks.... was kinda hoping it was trouble only on my end but apparently not.... when its convienent, could you run the exploration again but this time just put in colk in the filter section ..... that might immeadiately shut down meta but no harm will be done..... so obviously don't do it during market hours if your trading.....

this is something we might have forward to pyradius ......

apppears we can still use both columns k and l, however they must stand alone, ie no filter of any kind referencing to them.... h

NetWorthless  
#36 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2006 6:49:21 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

OK, hayseed. Tried it again with just colk in the filter. System self-destructed. I want my money back!
vaughn  
#37 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2006 5:58:58 PM(UTC)
vaughn

Has anyone heard anything from Equis on this problem, or is it a feature?
hayseed  
#38 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2006 6:22:43 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey vaughn.... sorry, my error , thought i had posted ..... pyradius looked into it that very day and said he would write up a memo for the r&d dept.... he had no idea of a time frame on a fix....

until then, filters referencing to k and l should not be used, as they void the exploration.... and expect meta to shut down if a filter is used in only column k or l.... those columns can still be used in normal non filtered situations.....

a guess, and just a guess, would be bugs that shut down meta might be handled at a fast as reasonably possible pace.....h

vaughn  
#39 Posted : Saturday, November 4, 2006 8:52:30 PM(UTC)
vaughn

Not a problem, I was just wondering. It is a small thing anyway, but it will be good to see how they deal with it.

Cheers
NetWorthless  
#40 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2006 1:11:36 AM(UTC)
NetWorthless

vaughn wrote:
Not a problem, I was just wondering. It is a small thing anyway, but it will be good to see how they deal with it.

Cheers

On the contrary, I see this as a major problem with one of the few new features in their latest s/w upgrade cycle. This type of problem should have been captured during the normal course of regression tests by the Equis developers.

They have already quickly addressed a problem (or problems) with v10 and various plug-ins. Let's hope they are just as quick with issuing a patch for this problem. We should not have to be forced to create "work-arounds" to utilize this new expanded functionality.

I agree, it will be good to see how they deal with it.