logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
youvee  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:16:33 PM(UTC)
youvee

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi All, I am a newbie (based in Australia) who has just started to use Metastock since one month & have just joined today the Equis Metastock Forum. Now, over the next few months, I intend to study & learn the techniques to use the Metastock formulae, for which I was considering two options : (A) Go through the few Metastock books / manuals that came along with the purchased Metastock, OR (B) Pay for & study ready-available formulae from 3rd party sites. I have come across a site www.meta-formula.com which apparently sells a manual + CD for indicators, Explorations & Expert Advisors. Has anyone used this site ? Is it useful / worth going for ? Would you recommend option 'A' or 'B' above ? Any feedback - positive or negative - would be much appreciated. Secondly, what are your thoughts on instead using other sites like www.metastocktools.com or www.metastocktips.co.nz ? Regards, Youvee
PTJim  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 5:28:07 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Stand by for comments from others . . . . I believe you'll find more positive opinions about the latter two than the first site you mentioned. The owners of those latter two sites are regulars here on this forum as well, so you know where to find 'em. If you immediate goal is to study and learn from formulas written by others, don't spend a dime - you'll find dozens of formulas right on this forum and in many websites on the net. For instance, here are about a million of 'em: http://www.trader.online.pl
Jose  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:48:19 PM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Youvee, the first thing I would do is go through the MetaStock Formula Primer. Once you have the MS programming basic skills in place, the best way to climb the learning curve is to experiment with your own code, and share your experiences here (i.e., interact with other MS users). jose '-)
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2006 11:53:00 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
youvee wrote:
I am a newbie (based in Australia) who has just started to use Metastock since one month & have just joined today the Equis Metastock Forum.
Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find all the information you need here. Where in Australia are you?
youvee wrote:
Now, over the next few months, I intend to study & learn the techniques to use the Metastock formulae, for which I was considering two options : (A) Go through the few Metastock books / manuals that came along with the purchased Metastock, OR (B) Pay for & study ready-available formulae from 3rd party sites. I have come across a site www.meta-formula.com which apparently sells a manual + CD for indicators, Explorations & Expert Advisors. Has anyone used this site ? Is it useful / worth going for ? Would you recommend option 'A' or 'B' above ? Any feedback - positive or negative - would be much appreciated.
As you have already forked out a wad load of cash to pay for your program and data (?), before you go handing out more money, try reading the MS Users Manual (become initimately familiar with it) and the free Formula Primer from Equis. Many of these learn MS "packages" that you can currently get from these web-vendors are not much more than these two publications, repackaged.
youvee wrote:
Secondly, what are your thoughts on instead using other sites like www.metastocktools.com or www.metastocktips.co.nz ?
Jose's site has some really useful indicators and tips etc, some of these very advanced codes may generate some confusion. Start simply and work your way up to this level. Roy's newsletter is aimed at the higher levels too, but because he deals with more than just MS programming it is recommended for everyone. Try getting through the MS equivalent of your "Hello World" program using the Primer and the Manual. You will find in no time that you can get quite proficient at using the MSFL to achieve your aims. If you get stuck, look towards Jose's site for some examples of how a problem might be solved. If you are still stuck, post your best attempt at your code with a full explanation of what you are trying to achieve and I am sure someone will come to your assistance. I don't think there is any need to spend any more money at the moment (except maybe your subscription to MSTT). Hope this helps. wabbit :D
StorkBite  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 6:59:09 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi Youvee- Welcome to the forum! All of the replies above are right on target. There is so much free stuff available on the net and via the newsgroups that I wouldn't go looking to pay for it. If you can't find what you're looking for, you can always ask here.
Marilyn  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:11:31 AM(UTC)
Marilyn

Meta-formula.com is David Jenyns... he was a class A pitb when I was at MetaStock... routinely promoted buying pirated copies of MetaStock on ebay (even though I and eventually the lawyers told him not to...) and wasn't very nice in general... I highly DON'T recommend him... Stick with Jose (at metastocktools.com) and Roy (at metastocktips.co.nz) :) M
wabbit  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:21:40 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Marilyn wrote:
Stick with Jose (at metastocktools.com) and Roy (at metastocktips.co.nz)
ahem... nudge...
youvee  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2006 9:59:58 AM(UTC)
youvee

Hi All, Many thanks to all who replied with encouraging words for a fresh newbie like me. After going through your replies, I have decided to stay away from getting the formulae from www.meta-formula.com. I would rather build my way up from this forum, the MS Formula Primer and also from Jose's & Roy's websites. PTJim, Jose, Wabbit, StorkBite & Marilyn, Thanks again for those tips and the push-start. Much appreciated. Ciao - - Youvee P.S. : Wabbit, fyi, I am based in Melbourne.
Marilyn  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2006 6:44:53 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

Ohhhh Wabbit!!! I forgot you!!! I am sorry... Wabbit is Class A too. :) We love him... where is your link to your new site??? Sorry (crawling under the rug... ) :) M