logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TNPK  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2006 6:41:40 AM(UTC)
TNPK

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I am using MetaStock 9.0. I have existing historical data of 1000 securities in MetaStock format. Every day, I have the open, high, low, close of that day of the 1000 securities in ASCII format. I need to update my historical data with the ASCII file of 1000 securities everyday. Can Downloader to do the updates? Is there any 3rd party software can do this? Thanks in advance!
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2006 8:55:06 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
TNPK  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2006 10:14:02 AM(UTC)
TNPK

Wabbit, Thank you for your quick reply! Downloader seems only convert from ASCII to MetaStock symbol by symbol. If I have a single day 1000 symbol in an ASCII files and updates to 1000 Historical MetaStock Symbols, it seems I need to update 1000 times everyday. Most of the 3rd party downloader in the link you shown (whom I have asked them) seems to download data from website and updates to database. I can't update from my own ASCII database to Historical MetaStock File.
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2006 11:05:10 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Would Mansoor's toolkit help? http://www.geocities.com/mimansoor/ wabbit :D P.S. Yet another example of why we need to pay for the services of data vendors...
Justin  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2006 12:57:33 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

The Tools>Convert option within the DownLoader allows you to perform a wildcard conversion on a source folder. Meaning if all the *.TXT files reside in one folder, simply browse to this folder and leave the filename on *.TXT. It should go through all the files within this folder without you having to convert 1000 times manually. You would probably want to read the F1 help topic for ASCII File Layout within the DownLoader help menu for information on the formatting of the ASCII files. Note:When using the Browse option for the Source folder, it expects you to pick a filename rather than leaving it on a wildcard (*.TXT). Either type the folder onto the source folder line manually, or after browsing to the folder, double click on one of the files, then delete the specific file name from the source file box and type in *.TXT again.
TNPK  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2006 3:38:57 AM(UTC)
TNPK

Pyradius, Thank you for your reply. All my 1000 securities is in one ASCII source file.The format of my ASCII source file is like that: Ticker Symbol Date Open High Low Close 0001 06/15/06 10 10 10 10 0002 06/15/06 16 16 16 16 .... ...... 1000 06/15/06 8 8 8 8 Is the wildcard conversion function in Downloader only for source file which have data for one securities only? That means Downloader only batch convert the ASCII to MetaStock if only if I delete the Ticker Symbol column and each Ticker Symbol is in one source file. Then Downloader will Batch process my 1000 ASCII source file to 1000 MetaStock file. Is it correct?
TNPK  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2006 3:43:00 AM(UTC)
TNPK

wabbit, I have downloaded Mansoor's toolkit. It doesn't like other software just click a button to work. Since I am not a computer programmer, I am not quite understand all the procedure.
wabbit  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2006 4:03:49 AM(UTC)
wabbit

When you download Mansoor's application, the zip file contains a file README.txt. I would read this file, as it contains the instructions of how to use the application from the command line.
Mansoor wrote:
============================================================================= COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE - MetaStock (r) Command Line Data Conversion Utilities release 1.7.2 Copyright (C) 2004 Mohammed Illyas Mansoor (mimansoor@yahoo.com). These utility programs are free to use; These utility programs are distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ============================================================================= These are the release notes for MetaStock Command Line Data Conversion Utilities version 1.7.2 DOCUMENTATION: - Two command line utilies are provided in this release. *) Utility to convert MetaStock (r) Binary Data Files (MASTER, F[censored].DAT) format to MetaStock(r) ASCII (SYMB,D,YYMMDD,O,H,L,C,V,OI) or (SYMB,I,YYMMDD,HH:MM:SS,O,H,L,C,V,OI) format Command Usage: C:\\ms2asc --help ms2asc: Converts MetaStock Binary Data files to MetaStock ASCII file format Usage: ms2asc [--master=|-m <master-filename>] [--file=|-f <ascii-filename>] [--help|-h] [--version|-v] [--quite|-q] [--indir=|-i <data-directory>] [--purgeZeroVol|-p] [--symbolContains=|-s <ticker_symbol>] [--nameContains=|-n <ticker_name>] [--printDateFrom=|-d <date>] [--ignoreTicker=yes|no] [--ignoreName=yes|no] [--ignorePer=yes|no]i [--ignoreTime=yes|no] [--ignoreOpen=yes|no] [--ignoreOpenInt=yes|no] [--verbosity=low|medium|high] [--exactmatch=yes|no] [--printDateUpto=|-u <date>] [--priorityLevel=|-l low|medium|high] Example: In the directory <data-directory> where your MASTER and F[censored].DAT files reside run C:\\ms2asc -m MASTER -f myascfile.asc -i masterdir myascfile.asc file will contain data in MetaStock (r) eight field ASCII format. *) Utility to convert MetaStock (r) ASCII (SYMB,D,YYMMDD,O,H,L,C,V,OI), (SYMB,I,YYMMDD,HH:MM:SS,O,H,L,C,V,OI) format to MetaStock (r) Binary Data Format (MASTER, F[censored].DAT), Check for more supported formats in ChangeLog.txt file. C:\\asc2ms --help asc2ms: Converts MetaStock ASCII files to MetaStock Binary Data file format Usage: asc2ms [--master=|-m <master-filename>] [--file=|-f <ascii-filename>] [--help|-h] [--version|-v] [--quite|-q] [-o <data-output-directory>] [--recordFileExist=|-r appendRecord|updateRecord|recordReplace|fileReplace] [--traversefolders=|-t] [--symbol=|-s <ticker-symbol>] [--name=|-n <ticker-name> [--useadjustedclose|-u] [--date=|-d <date-feild> [--reverseOrder|-b] [--priorityLevel=|-l low|medium|high] [--verbosity= low|medium|high] [--createNewFiles=|-c yes|no] [--ignoreOpenInterest=yes|no] [--ignoreOpen=yes|no] [--dopFiles=|-p yes|no] Example: In the directory where you want to create MASTER and F[censored].DAT files run C:\\asc2ms -f myascfiles.asc -r r -o masterdir You will have MASTER and F[censored].DAT files created in "masterdir" directory. Before running this program if you already had MASTER and F[censored].DAT files, the records with same date, or with same date and time for intraday data files, would be replaced with the data in the ASCII file. You could also opt for replacing the entire data file by selecting -r fileReplace option, the default is append data record. You could also opt for traverse destination folders option, to create the MASTER and data files in different directories, by selection -t option. This option is useful if you have more than 255 different securities in your ascii data file. Data downloaded from Yahoo could also be converted into metastock format Example: In the directory where you want to create MASTER and F[censored].DAT files run C:\\asc2ms -f myascfiles.csv -o masterdir --symbol TICKER --name TICKER_NAME --useadjustedclose You will have MASTER and F[censored].DAT files created in "masterdir" with symbol as TICKER and issue name as TICKER_NAME you could opt to use the adjusted close given by yahoo, in this case all open, high, low and close will be same as "adjusted close" price. Otherwise adjusted close will be ignored. As of v1.7.0 MsCmdLineUtils support standard i/o files, hence these can be piped with other programs.
There are also instructions on his page on how obtain help for his product...
Mansoor wrote:
Please join MsCmdLineUtils google group if interested. You can post your questions, queries, bugs related to the utilities http://groups.google.com...up/metastockcmdlineutils
I have an excellent data provider, so I don't need to ever use these tools, so it is better to ask the source on how they work than me. Hope this helps. wabbit :D
johnl  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:54:10 PM(UTC)
johnl

An FYI-----
I tried this and got it to work, file has to be csv extension with data as
PFH,D,19990101,1,1,1,1,0,0
AAPL,D,19990101,1,1,1,1,0,0

etc.
19990101 will be your start date
The command line code was:
C:\Jrs\MSU\MsCmdLineUtilsV1.7.7\MsCmdLineUtilsV1.7.7\asc2ms\bin\win32\asc2ms -f c:\Jrs\MSU\NAV.csv -o c:\MS\DATA EST -c yes
or
[path of {asc2ms} file] -f [path of csv file] -o [path of output] -c yes

I then run downloader to get all my data form 1\1\1999 to current
I could not get the stock names to be brought over??? and I will need to find a easy way
to update (new/deletes) the database?

vienna  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 2:45:00 AM(UTC)
vienna

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Geocities isn't available any more, does anyone know where i can get a higher version than 1.7.0 ? or a similar tool?
thanks a lot
ts

loyana  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 4:40:56 AM(UTC)
loyana

Hi TNPK, Did you finally find a way to solve your problem? I have tried to use Tools>Convert>Option etc.. within the Downloader. It converted the ASCII file into many new Metastocks file instead of appending the one-day data into the existing files. Any idea anyone ?
zentrader  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2012 7:31:55 AM(UTC)
zentrader

@loyana, you can try the third party tool ML Downloader v7.1 for (manual or scheduled automatic) update of a collection of securities: http://www.trading-tools.com/mld.htm
MS Support  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2012 11:46:00 AM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
The downloader's Convert option can update all 1000 separate files if:
1) each line contains the ticker symbol of the security the data on that line is for
2) all the securities are in the same folder, or sub-folders of the same folder
3) each symbol only has one data file to be updated (no duplicates in separate sub-folders)

When you do the convert, in the destination options settings, make sure it is set to append data to the files and "traverse destination folder" is selected. You may also need to add a header row to the source file to designate the order of the fields.

If this is not working, please send two or three files with successive days data to support@equis.com. We can look at the files and see why the conversion is not working.