logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wabbit  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 2:37:22 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
At the end of this year, my girlfriend and I intend visiting India. On this visit we intend seeing the Noth-West of India, the region bounded by Mumbai, Agra and Amritsa. We will 'do' some more on another journey, later. We will be spending about two months (she wants to stay for three months) in the area. For our friends in India: What is worth seeing? What are some of the good things to do? We will be doing some of the regular 'tourist' activities, but what else should we do when we are there? What is worth seeing, that tourists don't normally get to see? Where do you go on holidays in you own country? What are the better ways, not only to get around, but to see the country? What local activities/festivals are on during the period November to February in the region? What information can you give us that is not in the "Lonely Planet Guide"? For the rest who may have some Indian adventure stories of their own: Recommended activities? Not recommended activities? What to watch out for? Health issues? Food issues? Money issues? Transport issues? Language issues? Please tell your stories... We will be (predominately) backpacking, but exploiting luxury options when we get the chance! We have a couple of train journeys planned but that's about all at the moment. We have about six months to plan our travels, so whatever information we get will be appreciated. wabbit :D
uasish  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 1:01:07 PM(UTC)
uasish

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Respected Wabbit, Will reply to all your queries by next Tuesday.Forgive me is preoccupied tll then. Regards Asish
smg  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 2:15:41 PM(UTC)
smg

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Wabbit, I live in India (Delhi to be more precise). Since I live in India I never thought what should be the answers to your questions. Living here has been natural, so never thought what is worth seeing, visiting etc. However, now I will put my heart and mind to work and keep telling you what ever comes to mind. One thing I can say right away - You will be coming at the opportune time in history and right time in the year. Infrastucture is developing at a wonderful pace these days. So you can expect very decent facilities at very reasonable prices - which were not just available some years ago. Climate will be right during the days you will be here - not much of rains. However the festival period will be mostly over by end October. If you want to join the local festivals make sure that you are here in end September. Navratras and Diwali (Sort of Hindu Christmas) will start around end of September and will be over on 21st October. Will send you further information later. I think I will do it by PM else all the forum members might head for holidays to India. Further, answer to many of questiions will depend on your preferences. For example, I want to visit USA sometime, however I might not spend much of time in cities like NY, I might spend some cool time in mountains of Utah and farms of Oregon. My cousin laughed when I told her my preferences - she said most of the visitors want to move around NY etc. and this is the visitor who wants to spend time in farms and mountains. It will help if you please tell something about your likes and preferences. Regards SMG
dvdforbes  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2006 2:56:28 PM(UTC)
dvdforbes

Dear Wabbit Welcome India. I am from Ahmedabad ,Gujarat, India. Two obvious places are TajMahal (Agra) and Suwarna Mandir(Amritsar). Mandir means temple and suwarna means gold. Temple,precisely dom of temple made from gold. Regards
uasish  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2006 4:02:12 PM(UTC)
uasish

Respected Wabbit, It is Tuesday 21.26 hrs here at Kolkata,India.Plz go through the following:- Regards Asish Suggested Travel Route (Basing North India,Delhi) ……………………………………………………….. Starting From - Approx Distance - Destination( Place Famous For) 1.Delhi - 1000 km - Bikaner (Historical) 2. Bikaner - 330 km - Jaisalmer (Must See –dito-) 3.Jaisalmer - 294 km - Jodhpur (Must See –dito-) 4. Jodhpur - 200 km - Mount Abbu{(through Abu Rd Railway Stn 29 km by road from there)} Hill Station 5. Mount Abbu - 185 km - Udaypur (Historical) 6. Udaypur - 112 km - Chitorgarh (Historical) 7. Chitorgarh - 191 km - Ajmer (Must See –dito-) 8. Ajmer - 280 km - Jaipur (Must See –dito-) 9. JAIPUR TO Swaimadhopur ( For RANTOMBAR : Tiger Reserve Forest) 10. BACK TO DELHI Another Route ………………………… 1. Delhi - 250 km - { Agra (Famous Taj Mahal) Fatehpur Sikri (Must See –dito-) Bharatpur (Bird Sanctuary )} Now from Agra you can go to Bikaner or vice versa. All above mentioned place has 5 Star facilities Hotel.Stay there otherwise in “RTDC” Hotels.RTDC= Rajasthan Govt.Tourism Development Corp. From Delhi towards East that is towards Australia is another important Metro City (Out of total 4 Nos ,DELHI/BOMBAY(now called MUMBAI)/MADRAS(now called CHENNAI/CALCUTTA(now called KOLKATA)) is Kolkata, hence you can make a stop over. This is 3 hrs by Air (DELHI – KOLKATA) I stay at Kolkata.
wabbit  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 26, 2006 5:26:34 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Thanks for the information Asish, and all. We are already planning to visit many of these places, but your input is appreciated. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed has the opportunity of getting her present employer to pay for some of the trip, if, IF, she does one week of work in Kolkata. She hasn't made up her mind yet, so we don't know if we will be travelling that far East on this visit? We will let you all know. wabbit :D
wabbit  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2007 4:02:56 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Nameste,

Just a quick note whilst I am on the road in India...

Tonight (02/02/07) we travel to Hyderabad. A little while a go I received a message from (someone, it might have been Patibanda?) who offered some information on Hyderabad. As my trip to India was not supposed to coming this far south, I did not keep a copy of the details with me on the journey, so am asking the kind poster to please post the information again, by email please.

We will be in Hyderabad for three days before making our way to Aurangabad and Ajanta, then Nasik and finally Mumbai before flying back to Australia from there.

Thanks in advance.

wabbit [:D]

PSChakravarthy  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2007 7:26:19 PM(UTC)
PSChakravarthy

Removed

happysingh  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2007 1:55:21 PM(UTC)
happysingh

hello wabbit sir, welcome to India, would love to meet you. let me introduce myself, I am Navneet Singhal. from Delhi Capital of India. age 26, Chartered Acoountant by Profession, Advisor on technicals base in Indian Equity Markets. Rest too much but cut it here.... boring all lol...... If u ever plan to visit delhi then do contact me and plan to meet me...... 0 91 9811615246 is my delhi number Anytime u found urself in any problem, anywhere in india, just give me a call, i will try to help u out... Tomorrow, 4 Feb 2007 , i am visiting Jaisalmer (Rajasthan state) western part of india, I have heard that its wonderful desert place.. I will visit and let u know more abt it. For our friends in India: What is worth seeing? So many visit www.india.gov.in (Natonal portal of india) To be precise, Taj mahal ( Agra), Akshardham Temple (Gandhi Nagar) & Akshardham Temple( Delhi), You can take me along if u like for Akshardham Delhi. I must tell you, if u miss akshardham temples then You will miss the best of India...so take my word and do visit akshardham, 1 day 1 temple each in Delhi & Gnadhinagar. U will love it & will remember me for rest of your life. What are some of the good things to do? Best thing in India is to have its different varities of food... U will find everything here..Even the Multinational Mcdonalds...Remember one thing, u are coming to a country where population is huge, so poverty is also here, so the culprits too.. so only i said that anytime anywhere u feel, u are being cheated just call me, i will try my best to help u out...... We will be doing some of the regular 'tourist' activities, but what else should we do when we are there? Visit Temples, himalayas to find Mental peace & Find the reason of living. What is worth seeing, that tourists don't normally get to see? Honesty...... b'cos as people can identify u by u r face and hairs, they think in dollars only and will try there best to make u fool & take some dollars away from u...... believe me dont trust anyone........ what abt me ?// lol that's on u only. u have to trust someone if not all........ isn't it ???? Where do you go on holidays in you own country? we usually go on hill Stations as there is cool weather and mental peace, away fom work....... as other than northern par t of india, rest is all hot........ What are the better ways, not only to get around, but to see the country? Better use train but that too rajdhani and shatabdi express A/C Chair car only....... In others the genral poor public may try to rob u.... pick pocket u....... avoid the most alone and most filled places. try to be in normal place...... What local activities/festivals are on during the period November to February in the region? Diwali in november,, festival of lights....., then christmas u know better than me, basant panchmi in jan ( Agriculture festival in Punjab) What information can you give us that is not in the "Lonely Planet Guide"? i havent read that guide. so cant say... email me that guide..... coolguynavneet@gmail.com For the rest who may have some Indian adventure stories of their own: ah. meet me i will show u many live stories....... Recommended activities? Play enjoy, be friendly, be happy, be ncie.......... Not recommended activities? do not mess with anyone......just be gandhi...... What to watch out for? Police also corrupt so dont trust them also....but not everyone.... but there is no formula to identify good as we can do thru metastock to find a good stock...... lol Health issues? Winter season in those days so better have u r woolens with u for northern par tof india..... most chilly in dec and jan..... Food issues? u r stomach has to be strong to taste different varities of food. here is very less packaaged food...... try to be in 5 stars & big hotels...... Money issues? Do not even show u r credit card number to anyone........ never keep huge money with u........have different pockets and keep some in evrey pocket...... dont put money in baggage, u might loose baggage.......... Transport issues? Better be in Rajdhani and shatabdi Trains,,,,, or Airways.... Language issues? Hindi & English No problem...... Please tell your stories... Meet me My Frnd cum SIR,,,,,,,,,will be most happy to serve u and meet u.....& be with u for akshardham delhi temple. We will be (predominately) backpacking, but exploiting luxury options when we get the chance! We have a couple of train journeys planned but that's about all at the moment. We have about six months to plan our travels, so whatever information we get will be appreciated. so come here, u will see and learn lot abt indian heritage..... dont drop u r idea b'cos of fear of many things i told above....... think positive that in which part of world u wont find corruption and cheaters........ u r frnd from India Navneet Singhal coolguynavneet@gmail.com www.navneetsinghal.blogspot.com www.dataeod.blogspot.com www.paidcall.blogspot.com www.paidclient.blogspot.com 00 91 9811615246 Delhi Mobile Phone......... Anywhere Anytime........ Love uuuuuuu byeeeeeee
happysingh  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2007 2:01:19 PM(UTC)
happysingh

ooooooooo i missed it,,,,, i thought that u will come in 2008.......by now u have done most of u r holidays here...... sorry i got late........ If visit Delhi then do meet.......... & Remember if u have missed Akshardham then u have missed the best of India....... Believe me....... 9811615246 My Number........ 4TH FEB 2007 , i will leave for jaisalmer..... rajasthan......back to delhi on 7th Feb 2007........ enjoy urself........
wabbit  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2007 6:34:48 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Hi All,

Well we are back from our 72 day visit to India... and must say we are a bit sorry to be home! The trip was SIMPLY AWESOME. The weather was great, the food was great, the people were great (for the vast majority - there is a rotten apple or two in every basket), the sites were great and the scenery was great (in many places it looked like home!) We couldn't ask for more.

Without going into too many details, during the trip we went to (in order visited):
Delhi - the busy capital
Amritsar (and Attari) - the Golden Temple and the border closing ceremony
Macleodganj (above Dharamsala) - almost saw the Dali Lama...
Shimla - station in the Himalayas
Agra - home of the Taj Mahal
Jaipur - the pink city
Bundi - a small town with immense history
Udaipur - Octo[censored]
Jodhpur - the blue city
Jaiselmer - the golden city and the desert safari
Varanasi - the River Ganges (the Great Mother)
Alleppey (in Kerela) - quiet backwater rice barge experience
Kochi (Cochin) - more than just a fishing village
Mangalore - interesting place to break up a long journey
Panaji (Panjim) - Goa is famous for its food
Hampi - a MUST see
Hyderabad - history, HITEC and more
Aurangabad - Ajanta and Ellora caves, and the local caves too
Mumbai - bustle and shopping!

We would have liked to seen more and/or stayed longer just about everywhere, but time seemed to be against us all the way.

Although there was some tough travelling involved (40 hours by train to get from Jaiselmer to Varanasi, 14+ hours by 'local bus' in the rocky roads of the mountains, etc) we loved just about every moment of it.

I suppose things are back to normal around here for a little while - - but planning has started already for our return (perhaps later this year?)

For those people who took the time to help out, provide advice or take us to breakfast, we thank you. Maybe one day we can return the favour if any Forum members decide to visit us?

wabbit [:D] and SWMBO

PTJim  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2007 5:20:05 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Welcome back; place hasn't been the same without ya - too quiet. Sounds like a great trip!

Spaceant  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2007 5:30:08 PM(UTC)
Spaceant

Wabbit,

Welcome back! As Jim, it has been a little quiet without your noise....... I am sure you have charged up from your India visit, we will see your participation here in the community forum.

Sa