logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjstein  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:23:50 PM(UTC)
jjstein

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does anyone have a fix for the flaky "favorites" file system? Every few months, the FAVORITES.DTA gets corrupted, and I have no idea why... It's not reliable, so no important lists can be kept there; they have to be kept in a separate *.TXT file, then re-input all over again. It's VERY tiresome... --Johnathan
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:56:19 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey johnathan..... was kinda courious just what happens or doesn't happen when it corrupts.... are no charts retrievable or something similiar..... are you getting any type error messages.... your favorites can be kept elsewhere... create a folder somewhere outside meta, or inside, and just save them there.... also long as you see the meta bull they should open..... that includes layouts.... that should insure no corrupts.....h my preference is in pages such as here.... run your mouse pointer over gap tracker and click on indicators to its left for an idea.... only the gap tracker will work for you..... on my end, clicking on the meta bull will load the chart or layout..... thats just a simple example that can be expanded greatly if your handy with java script and html..... a quick way to see just what the chart is..... had to do the same type thing for charts with henrys indicators..... now its a snap just to see the chart and one click to open , cause ain't no way i'd ever figure out those wild names he has....."IMI 26 Transform Expert w Pivot stops V2 & Trend Direction"..... what the heck..... you can right click on that page and 'view source' to see the script..... h
konrad  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:41:23 AM(UTC)
konrad

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

hayseed, can you upload indicator and chart once more because it not show on link screen
Jose  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:44:06 AM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
For storing favorites, I use the text file system found in the URSC tool kit. It stores symbols in text files, which can then be referenced with the kit's filter.dll jose '-)
hayseed  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:51:14 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey konrad.... only the gap tracker fib selection should work.... the rest are not active......the indicators...... chart....... h
jjstein  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:21:45 AM(UTC)
jjstein

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
>>hey johnathan..... was kinda courious just what happens or doesn't happen when it corrupts.... are no charts >>retrievable or something similiar..... are you getting any type error messages.... Hayseed, No error messages. When accessing any of the "Favorites" folders, sometimes a folder will be empty, other times it may have symbols never entered (may be from another folder within "Favorites"). And, I never know when it's been corrupted; it's always an unpleasant surprise. So, I occasionally save a copy of FAVORITES.DTA, but need several, since I don't know which is corrupted when. The FAVORITES.DTA file is now up to about 8 meg, but only has maybe 4 dozen symbols in it, stored in a less than a dozen lists. This has gone on since I started using the program, in uh 2002/3, version 8. Charts, layouts, etc, (anything that is a normal file in a normal directory/folder) are all fine. It's just the lists/sub-lists one tends to keep in "Favorites" that corrupt. >>your favorites can be kept elsewhere... create a folder somewhere outside meta, or inside, and just save them >>there.... also long as you see the meta bull they should open..... that includes layouts.... that should insure no >>corrupts.....h That would solve the problem, but I don't know how. If you save an exploration result list, or just use right-click to "Add to favorites" to build a list (ie: DJIA components), the only choice I see is to add directly to the "Favorites" folder or create a sub-folder, then add to that. I see no option to save to a regular directory folder, just that [censored]ized, [censored]-poor crappy-coded custom file system, which Equis calls "Favorites." --Johnathan
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 2:04:11 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
jjstein wrote:
I see no option to save to a regular directory folder, just that [censored]ized, [censored]-poor crappy-coded custom file system, which Equis calls "Favorites."
:eek: Hey Johnathan- Add a suggestion to the Wish List forum with specific details. This forum has the attention of the Development Team leaders. G
hayseed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:42:47 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey johnathan..... saving lists are abit more difficult than saving charts themselves..... let me study on that abit, its likely i could write a script that would make the transition needed.... had written up some do's and don'ts on saving charts.... tryin to find it..... i'll holler back......h