logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iphilosophise  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 2:58:22 PM(UTC)
iphilosophise

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Cool! :? Any ideas how I can transfer my MS charts (9.1 pro) on my desktop to my laptop, so they are exactly the same and I have another copy? The 2 systems are not connected. Will a USB connection actually work, a straight cable between the 2 comps? I don't want to email a photo of the charts, but the actual templates and layouts, so I can run them from either. Cheers, Jonathan
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:19:33 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey jonathan.... charts, layouts, templates can be moved like most things, you just need the files for each.... layouts and templates are easy... just look in your desktops C:\\Program Files\\Equis\\MetaStock\\Charts folder, just right click copy the dta files..... they are named as you have named them.... if your computers are networked just look over at the proper drive.... copy from desktops folder and paste into the laptop.... you can tie the computers together using a crossover rj45 type cord.... you can buy it or make it..... make sure its a crossover type.... if neither those methods are appealing and this might be easiest, just copy the entire desktops charts folder,' C:\\Program Files\\Equis\\MetaStock\\Charts ', place on a cd.... now using the cd as the source copy and paste the dta files in your laptops C:\\Program Files\\Equis\\MetaStock\\Charts folder..... as for individual charts, if there are no or few actual smart charts now on the laptop, look in the desktops metastock data folder, ' C:\\MetaStock Data '..... then open each of the sub folders.... right click and copy each 'mssmart' folder and place it into the laptops same named local data folder.... such as , C:\\MetaStock Data\\amex\\MSSmart ...... those can also be transfered using the cd..... the metastock data folders have to be an exact match..... laptop and destop..... the amount of data in each is not important but the folders contents have to match perfectly or problems might arise.... if in doubt and you don't see any reason not to consider it ..... copy the entire desktops metastock data folder and place in laptop...... you should first temporarily rename the laptops existing metasock data folder.... just in case you need to reveret back..... and of course all indicators used in the desktops charts, templates, layouts and such need to be on laptops also..... yeah, your probably thinkin dang, thats alot..... trust me.... it took longer to type it out than it will take you to do it...... the second time.....h
iphilosophise  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 9:53:33 PM(UTC)
iphilosophise

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. I will give it a go. Let you know how it goes. :)
iphilosophise  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 11:36:50 AM(UTC)
iphilosophise

Thanks for that detailed info. I installed a peer-to-peer network workgroup on XP. I have not shared the root of the C drive, just the docs as you described, and I copied them across onto the laptop- do you share a root? :D :?:
iphilosophise  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 12:08:58 PM(UTC)
iphilosophise

AFter copy of the chart files across. the format of the copied charts does not go across (from Desktop to Laptop). IT must lose these associations from the original folders. Am I better off uninstalling MS on the Laptop, then copy the entire equis folder, and run set up again? OR are there specific files that contain the experts and the way the layouts look (format) that should come across as well to the Laptop? :eek:
hayseed  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2006 2:23:15 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey iphilosophise..... even if you reinstalled on the laptop you would still need to import any indicators , experts and the like that you've added on the desktop.... you can export the entire contents allowed by the organizer , export everything to the cd your using to copy..... then using the laptops organizer , import that folder into your laptop by using the cd.... you will get several prompts about files being over written.... most often i just click yes..... if you've done extensive work on individual charts, the one folder i would copy completely would be the metastock data folder..... you can copy the entire equis folder but don't expect that folder to run metastock.... certain bootup items are most always left out in programs subject to piracy, ie , you need the metastock cd..... once everything has been exported/imported all layouts, templates should work...... h