logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 7, 2006 9:53:49 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Have you heard the old saying, "There's no such a thing as a dumb question"? Well, I pretty much think that's right on. Everyone is a learner- that is, a student; yes, even teachers. Let me encourage you all to ask questions and post responses. Hashing out ideas is what makes us all smarter. It is one of the key benefits to having a forum such as this one. You all know that I like to chat, and many times my thought processes aren't refined. I have talked about sitting in the back of the classroom before, but in all seriousness, I'm a life long learner and try not to make the same mistakes too many times in a row. For some, it seems humorous, I'm sure, but don't think that you can't contribute to the quality participation that goes on. That just isn't the case. There are many different teaching styles that might be employed when answering questions. You will get samples of many of them here on the forum. Some of the responses you read are explicit instructions, while others are more thought-provoking. Whatever the style, the goal should be to have the question asker become more proficient in the knowledge they seek. IMO, the best answers require us to stretch beyond the literal information and reach for a higher understanding. Some pointers on how to make students active questioners: - Increase the number of questions they ask (fluency); - Increase the complexity and creativity of their questions (flexibility); - Make them proud they have asked a question rather than pleased they have answered one.