logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
notrader  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 1:37:31 PM(UTC)
notrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Before switching from another sw-package I would like to see the programming language to be able to overcome the shortcomings of the now used one. Is there a possibilty of finding such a document without buying the whole package? notrader
StorkBite  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2006 3:50:44 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey Notrader- Welcome to the forum! R U asking about the formula language and samples? If so, d/l the Formula Primer from this forum.
notrader  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2006 5:24:35 PM(UTC)
notrader

hEY MR STOCKMANN; FRANKLY SPEAKEN; i DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOR REPLY; WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH D/L? tO GIVE AN EXAMPLE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. - the posibility to store an event , e.g. the crossing of a bollingerband and then to look forward for an other event. Finaly after some stored preconditons a trading signal will be fixed by a momentary indicator environment. - an other feature should be the possibility to handle former trading conditions like exit price and so one. the best would be to compare the languge I now use with that of metastock: That would be grat. notrader
StorkBite  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2006 6:20:18 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Sorry Notrader... d/l means to download. If you want to know more about the MS formula language and how it compares to other languages, check out the Formula Primer. Avail: http://forum.equis.com/drm_main.php?mode=drm_file_view&cat=10&file=1
notrader  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2006 4:57:36 PM(UTC)
notrader

<Thanks, I downloaded the mentioned file, but I do not find any constructs I am looking for. I do not not know what the binary wave package really includes. Once more: If you want to formulate a formula that remember former evidenties, can it be done with metastock? That 's my primary interest. I think looking only at the momentary situation is a big wheel if you want toinclude a look back what happened some times ago. What can metastock offer in this environment? Thanks notrader
StorkBite  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 7, 2006 8:23:26 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Persisting variables would be a task for the MDK and C++ programming. There are all kinds of possible workarounds, but the simple answer would be 'no'...
Quote:
I do not not know what the binary wave package really includes
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. If you're talking about latches, then you should check out the training video section of the forum on latches. Patrick explains their use quite well. Perhaps the simplest of all solutions would be to give Equis Sales a call and just ask them. They are familiar with the competition products as well and can probably give you a fair comparison. Domestic Sales (800) 508-9180 International Sales (801) 265-8886 Open from 7am to 5pm Mountain Time HTH, George
amory  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2007 6:03:39 PM(UTC)
amory

reply to Notrader: a lot of preceding discussion is over my head, but your original question rings a bell.

<< the posibility to store an event , e.g. the crossing of a bollingerband and then to look forward for an other event. >>

what I was looking for some time back, was a formula that would combine a specific breakthru with an upward continuation on volume a few days further on, by way of confirmation if you like. but with my limited skills, found it impossible to combine the two (one for breakthru, the other one for volume later on).

the solution & which works very well, is to create the two formulas seperately (that's easy enough) & then run them together in one go. what happens is that MS will explore the "volume" one first, maybe coming up with 100 stocks, then it will run the other explo & narrow it down to maybe 10.

when I tried it out, I had my doubts about it, but it worked!

wabbit  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2007 11:09:02 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Amory,

Although this thread was started over a year ago, the code wich you achieved in two sections could be achived(?) using a latch or even the Alert() function.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss further.

wabbit [:D]

amory  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2007 2:24:41 AM(UTC)
amory

Thanks a lot Wabbit!

for my part perfectly happy with my primitive achievement. what I was trying to do was help Notrader who sounded quite desperate. and by now would have probably acquired the necessary skills & experience anyway.

but your advice re alert-function sounds good to me, and might try it out sometime. it's a good function.

thanx again.

amory  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2007 4:43:36 PM(UTC)
amory

tried it out & it worked fine!

gave one of the explorations a formula name and added it on to the filter in the other exploration as an Alert with a number at the end (for how many periods it applies)

thanks again Wabbit!

wabbit  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2007 6:38:43 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Amory,

I don't exactly what your code is: but here is some more food for thought anyway...

Many traders want to have their stock meet condition-x then some time later meet condition-y as a "confirmation" then, should it not also be the case that an entry might be signalled if condition-y happens first, then condition-x is the conformation?

(Without getting into discussions about indicators, I only want to concentrate on logic)

If so, then instead of just coding to find when condition-x is followed by condition-y:

condition-y AND Alert(condition-x, periods)

we should add the reverse to ensure we get both of the variations that might lead us to an entry:

(condition-y AND Alert(condition-x, periods)) OR
(condition-x AND Alert(condition-y, periods))

Just a thought...

wabbit [:D]