logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scorpio stinger  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2005 2:20:23 PM(UTC)
scorpio stinger

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Greetings form Australia! I was wondering if anyone can help me regarding a difficulty i am having using Downloader in Metastock Pro v8 to convert historical tick data to MS format. I am currently using a local real time provider that streams live data to my Metastock Pro v8 Real Time Program but sometimes i lose my internet connection and end up with gaps in my intraday charts. However I am able to get access to info showing course of trades for individual stocks on a website. I cut and paste this information into excel and save it as an ASCII text file. Quite a laborious task! I then use Downloader to convert the ASCII file into Metastock format but i get errors that say: Warning #2052: No data from source file converted and Error #2056: Invalid source file format. I was wondering if the problem is : either i was saving the data into ASCII format incorrectly using excel before converting it in Downloader to MS format or Downloader does not convert historical tick data into MS format at all. I am saving the tick data of a single stock in excel as ASCII text arranged as: Symbol, Intraday (I), Date (YYYYmmdd),Time (HH:MM), Price (decimal), Volume (number) then i use the Convert Securities Tool in Downloader by selecting the text file i just saved and in the Source tab i select "Periodicity" as Intraday and "Minutes per bar" as 0 (zero because it is tick data) and i leave the box that says open/open interest as blank (because there is no open for tick data). However i do notice that in the "Fields to output" window in the Destination tab the boxes for Symbol,Periodicity,Date,Time,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume are all ticked and greyed out. I was hoping someone can put my frustrations to rest and tell me if i am doing something incorrectly or what i am trying to do is not possible using the Downloader to convert historical tick data to MS format so i can correct the gaps in my intraday charts of specific stocks i follow when live data stream has been interrupted. Thanks in advance :)
mplwengrud  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2005 2:46:24 PM(UTC)
mplwengrud

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi.. I hade the same problem before,, the solution was i created a new intra folder to Metastock pro and converted the new data there,,, It worked for me Regards Mike
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 20, 2005 4:43:35 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey Scorpio- Welcome to the forum! Be sure to check out the FAQ's for more information about the Downloader and data collection. This one in particular might help you out: http://forum.equis.com/msfaqs.php#11
scorpio stinger  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:03:16 PM(UTC)
scorpio stinger

Hi mplwengrud, Thanx 4 the tip. I tried to create a new folder using Downloader and selecting File, New, Security and using the same symbol as before but in a different folder to store the real time data but i get an error saying "Add or change would duplicate an existing security" Maybe, I am misintepreting what u said. When u said u converted the data into a new folder, using the Downloader then what happened to the old tick data that was stored in the previous folder? Hope u can elaborate on what u suggested....thanx for ur patience :) scorpi
scorpio stinger  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:07:34 PM(UTC)
scorpio stinger

Hi g_stockman, Thanx 4 the link. I will read the posts there and see if it will help me find a solution. This website is great for newbies like me! scorpi :)
StorkBite  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 3:46:47 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
"Add or change would duplicate an existing security" Make sure your new folder is completely new. Don't try to save it in the dataondemand folder or some other existing folder.
mplwengrud  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:23:58 PM(UTC)
mplwengrud

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi Scorpio... It correct what Q-Stockman is writing.. so try that.. Ps,,Dont forget the "periodicity" in downloader coverson otion. Regards Mike :)