logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patrick  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2005 10:37:35 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I will compile our wish list and present it to equis product Manager. If you have any comments now is the time. Thanks, Patrick :mrgreen:
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2005 5:06:24 AM(UTC)
Patrick

I'm serious ... No really ... I need some input there :D Before August 15 2005 ... Patrick :mrgreen:
Jose  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2005 7:30:21 AM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ok... where to start... :? 1) Allow real-time sliders for indicator inputs, aka AmiBroker's; 2) Variable inputs allowed in all MS functions; 3) Add scripting for more flexibility; 4) Loop functions (same as #3); 5) Fix the Security() reference function; 6) Fix memory leaks; 7) Speed up the PREV function; 8) Allow IsDefined & IsUndefined functions to mix with null bars and produce a plot, such as for example, within If() functions; 9) Allow more than 64K of data points; 10) Add walk-forward bar-by-bar data loading, for easier paper-trading. 11) Please, please Mr Equis/Reuters, give the MetaStock developing/support team the resources they need to move MetaStock into the new Millennium. jose '-) http://metastocktools.com .
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2005 2:42:01 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Quote:
11) Please, please Mr Equis/Reuters, give the MetaStock developing/support team the resources they need to move MetaStock into the new Millennium.
:lol: Thanks Jose for your list. Patrick :mrgreen:
gldr  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2005 9:31:20 PM(UTC)
gldr

a few more for the wish list: - portfolio manager - custom 'securities' - alerts on lines draw on the screen -
StorkBite  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2005 10:00:04 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm going to automatically assume that you have already compiled the existing 50 topics in the Wish List forum. I don't know of anything else at present. :D
praktikus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:42:41 AM(UTC)
praktikus

A function to export data/sytem test results etc. to a .csv file (as Tradestation 2000i already had) would be fine. If this is already somewhere noted please forgive me. I didn't read all posts, sorry. ;-) Martin
praktikus  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:53:01 AM(UTC)
praktikus

Not to mention real tools for systematic traders - such as a trade manager that allows to compare walk forwards of a system to results from backtests. I'm doing this in excel (that's why I brought up the wish for an export function) but if MS had this capability this would be a huge shift towards professionalism. Maybe this could be an Enterprise version ;-) Just my two cents, FWIW. :-) Martin
billtrudeau  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:48:46 AM(UTC)
billtrudeau

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Some of these I have mentioned to Equis in the past: 1. I like to eliminate the inner window title bars to maximize screen display space for charts. With multiple windows I like to maximize inner windows for a better look at the indicators. It would be nice to be able to retain the maximize/minimize icons within the inner window when the title bar is turned off. The alternate is to right click and select maximize/minimize from the menu. 2. Allow all charts to be closed with a single command. I use layouts, but on new charts I use multiple templates from the user toolbar which results in many open charts. To close these many charts I am asked whether I want to save each and every chart. Rather say no once and close all charts. 3. Don't know if it is somehow available, but when I used to have a dot matrix printer it was possible to print banner charts. All data would be printed at a readable scale. Would somehow like to be able to print out multiple years of a chart. 4. Used to be able to change location of formula files. This function has been removed. Would like to be able to do this so that a scratch file location can be used for development files so that I do not corrupt main file with lots of experiments. Try to organized experiment files by name, but my file list is very long. Would like to have my main files uncluttered by all the useless and experimental files. Thanks, Bill
LongShot  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:35:24 PM(UTC)
LongShot

1. Some sort of simple trade manager, that ideally is able to send the data to Quicken/ MS Money. 2. System optimizer/tester: a. An output that just gives small results graphs that can be viewed say ten or twelve to a page. Then be able to select the graphs for a summary (which in turn has the same ability, so you can perform a "grand summary"). Then be able to page through the results quickly and kee the interesting ones. Then make this part of the "clean-up" Rather than completely deleting the entire optimization, keep the selected results and delete what's not needed. b. An interactive graph of results, on which you can drag the mouse cursor over a span of dates to get a summary of the results for that time span. Thus one set of parameters for a bear market could easily be compared to another set of parameters that did better during a bullish period covered in your results. This can be more quickly extracted from the current data than to run the test with each time span. c. Use percentages instead of dollars. Such things as a maximum loss of $8000 is actually quite meaningless compared to a maximum loss of 8%. This $8000 could be at the start of the timespan and represent 8%, or it could be toward the end where it might be 4%. I'd be more interested in percent shifts than $. 3. Experts that can display more than one symbol/tick. ie a go-long arrow on the same tick that has an end-short arrow. Plus additional symbols that can warn about a full moon if so desired. 4. Experts (formulas) that can switch to another security. Thus when my energy stock goes down, sell it and buy chemicals; switch between pro-funds, etc. 5. User formulas that can take and pass variables just like the built-in indicators. The optimizer also must be able to process these as "OPT1" etc 6. While we're on the subject, the optimizer should be able to take a much larger system. It should AT LEAST be able to take any expert that can be written, drop it into the optimizer and select the variables to be optimized. 7. Scrap it all and use a Vis Basic or Pascal language. Much, much more easy to debug, and still simple enough for anybody that can use the system you use now.
Patrick  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 3:42:20 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Thanks guys keep em coming :D
LongShot  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 7:40:23 PM(UTC)
LongShot

The system tester ought to be able to handle trading mutual funds in my 401k: no commissions, no minimum balance, 100% goes to buy or sell.
praktikus  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:04:37 PM(UTC)
praktikus

I'm using MS for a long time, and I really like what I get. But in some ways MS is getting rusty. If you compare it to programs like Tradestation or Amibroker you get a feel of what this means. Maybe this is the right time to change the engine under the hood, keeping excellent things like it's grafic abilities etc. Why not introduce finally a more powerful formula language, get rid of the downwards compatibility (yes this might upset some customers but compared to what you can get), get rid of the small windows for formulas, experts etc. It may seem radical but as the version changes from singel digit numbers to double digit, so this could be the chance to finally think about a drastical change. I sometimes had the feeling that Equis was more interested in adding gimmicks that attracts new customers than listen to the wishes of veterans on how to fix it's deficits. What I sometimes missed was the "can do"-feeling that is around with other software. But finally thanks to this forums and others and a few knowledgeable people there were mostly ways to finally get what you want. Don't take offense, it might be this is a little bit straigth but you asked for. ;-) Martin
Patrick  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 9:14:09 PM(UTC)
Patrick

No problem Martin, thanks for the feedback ;) :D I don't mind criticism as long as it is constructive and done politely. Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2005 12:10:08 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Raise the character limit on the indicator builder to say 10,000+ :D
Jose  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2005 7:13:57 AM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
g_stockman wrote:
Raise the character limit on the indicator builder to say 10,000+ :D
Or at least 64K - this is a must-have in this post-DOS age.
billtrudeau wrote:
4. Used to be able to change location of formula files. This function has been removed. Would like to be able to do this so that a scratch file location can be used for development files so that I do not corrupt main file with lots of experiments.
I don't know how I could forget to include this important point in my whish list. Importing formulae into MetaStock has become a nightmare - surely it would not take much effort to bring back the formula folders in MS v7.xx? And whilst we are here, how about bringing back the "select folders" (not individual securities) function in the Explorer? This has been the source of countless headaches for MetaStock users. jose '-) http://metastocktools.com .
praktikus  
#17 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2005 11:22:31 AM(UTC)
praktikus

prakti[censored wrote:
]A function to export data/sytem test results etc. to a .csv file (as Tradestation 2000i already had) would be fine.
Ok, maybe that's even a better one. :-) Add a user interface to the systemtester. Without using it you'll get the same as the actual enhanced systemtester. If in the user interface, I'd have to test for other statistics than in the normal systemtester. Let's say I'm after percentages instead of points/$. I'd suggest to do this in a way that each user can make his/her own changes (this would require some enhancements in the formula language of course). ;-) Or let's say that I want to test futures as in real life with a roll over from the expiering contract to the new front month n-days ahead of expiration day. As far as I know, only one software allows you tests in this way. Testing continuous contracts does not correctly reflect real trading. Or if I am after skew, kurtosis etc. Was I confusing ? If so, sorry. ;-) Martin
Nag  
#18 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2005 4:11:56 PM(UTC)
Nag

Or maybe a function in the language like AmiBroker's PlotOHLC, which allows to plot a custom OHCL chart... I guess some people would be able to find some use to that one ;) Patrick (aka Nag) Edit: I forgot to mention the possibility to plot lines of different colors within the same self defined indicator...
hayseed  
#19 Posted : Saturday, August 13, 2005 2:24:14 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey patrick.... sorry but can only think of one little bitty improvement that has not been already mentioned..... an auto scroll function..... so once a template is applied to a chart in the nas 100, meta would scroll thru in flip book style..... yeah i know, i'm lazy.... btw, have just about figured out a way to do it......thanks for your help......h