logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
George  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2005 12:58:23 PM(UTC)
George

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I deleted all Favourites accidentally couple of times, and I wish I could un-delete.
Marilyn  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2005 5:32:16 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

MetaStock stores your favorites in a file called favorites.dta. It is usually located in c:/programfiles/MetaStock/ I would suggest that you make a copy of this every once in a while so that if you accidently delete your favorites you can restore them easily. :) M This is also a good thing to do occasionally because those files can be corrupted...
George  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2005 8:55:41 AM(UTC)
George

OK, will do.
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2005 4:20:00 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey george.... was studying on you post, if ya have the time,,, are you by chance using windows xp, did you close meta and shut down you computor before you wanted to undelete, and what method did you use to delete all.... in other words are you using tools, then clear favorites...... if it was just an 'ooopppps' mistake deleting them, there might be a way to undelete.....h
George  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2005 10:04:52 AM(UTC)
George

I deleted Favourites from within Metastock. What I mean: In Metastock I clicked on OPEN Then I clicked on FAVOURITES Then I Right Clicked on the screen And (wiped out the lot) left clicking the CLEAR FAVOURITES option. And everything was gone. What I wanted to do is I wanted to highlight one little Folder, but for some reason I didn’t and there is N O R E T U R N. Undelete button would do the trick, but not there.
George  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2005 6:31:16 AM(UTC)
George

The way around would be to delete files with Windows Explorer, bit cumbersome, but blunders can be undone of course before bin is cleaned out.
hayseed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2005 3:01:49 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey george.... i didn't forget about your delimma, but did forget to post my thoughts.... first, sounds like you have the 'are you sure you want to delete' action box checked to not pop up.... that reminder has saved me from deleting things in the past.... second, if you feel comfortable looking into your computers files, and sounds like you do, just after you have deleted/cleared the favorites folder, go into the start>my computor>localdiskc>programs>equis>metastock> folder and make a copy of your favorites..... that file is a notepad lookin outfit that says 'favorites, dta'.... file paths might vary... make a copy of that file and rename it.... favorites5 or something.... now X out of that........ this has to be done just following your oopps delete..... now close meta and restart it , add a chart to your favorites and close meta again..... now look back into the start>my computor>localdiskc>programs>equis>metastock>, there will be the copy you made named favorites5 and one named favorites but with maybe on 1k of data in it.... delete the favorites that has 1k in it.... now rename the favorites5 to just favorites..... X out of that and restart meta..... your original favorites should be back..... obviously i've included some extra steps, thats more for some one not completly at ease messing with files..... it might sound like alot, but start to finish should be less than 3 minutes......h
George  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:43:10 AM(UTC)
George

Thanks Hayseed, I made a copy of your post and will go step by step on weekend. My problem with deleting was, that thought that I highlighted what I wanted to delete, but somehow I didn’t and because I thought I did what I wanted, pressed the yes button and all was gone. Empty little screen made me realise what happened, but with no undelete option I was stuffed and going past point of no return I had to build my Favourites from scratch. One good thing was that I had some lists I was not sure should I keep or not, they’ve gone and I don’t miss them so not all was bad, but UNDELETE BUTTON would help.
s1nbad  
#9 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2005 2:59:37 AM(UTC)
s1nbad

I made the same error of deleting everything couple of months ago..... made for a long evening getting all my charts back, thanks for the info I'll be making a backup. cheers.
wil  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2005 5:28:23 PM(UTC)
wil

Metastock can save us a lot of grief, if it can just provide export / import functions on favourites.dta. Even better is that, if it can provide a merge function for different copies of favourites.dta. This will allow users to share the files they created.