logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wabbit  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2005 10:24:18 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Is it possible to read the MS data .dat files with another application, without having to do the Downloader > Tools > Convert to another format? Surely there must be a more efficient way to do this! wabbit :D
rolfwidmer  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2005 11:23:13 AM(UTC)
rolfwidmer

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

You can use the MS SDK (read-only) which allows you to read the data out of an application. rolf
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2005 11:32:24 AM(UTC)
wabbit

I was sorta hoping to be able to use existing (common) software such as NotePad (would be nice), Excel (would be OK too!) etc I dont have the MS SDK... unless someone wants to give me a copy <smiling nicely> I already download data from my data provider, and this data already takes up space on my (crappy) computer, so I do not want to store the same information twice if I really dont need to. Additionally, the data I pay for to be in MS format is frequently corrected and error checked. The free data sources that are available on the net do not have that guarantee. There are some companies that sell products to do this conversion, but as I said I already paid for the data, I own it. I just want to be able to easily do some more number crunching and data manipulation outside MS. wabbit :D
rolfwidmer  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2005 11:43:30 AM(UTC)
rolfwidmer

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Since MetaStock data format is proprietary, there is no easy way. Basically there are 3 different ways: [list:3fb7c4542e]do the download in ASCII format (possible if you use MLDownloader)[/list:u:3fb7c4542e] [list:3fb7c4542e]Ask your data provider for ASCII (or other) format[/list:u:3fb7c4542e] [list:3fb7c4542e]Purchase a tool (I know this is not very helpful but typically these tools are not very expensive)[/list:u:3fb7c4542e] rolf
wabbit  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2005 12:16:59 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Well what do you know.... Like Dorothy (in the Wizard of Oz) I had the power all time, just did't know it. My data provider, in its download applicaton gives the option for data formating. They don't tell you this, of course, and there is no help file for the application.... but it is amazing what you find when you are supposed to be doing something else! Problem solved... wabbit :D