logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 5, 2005 7:48:41 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Another rookie question... Rather than scanning for several Candlestick signals one at a time, I made an Exploration with some of them combined which looks like this in the Filter section: (BigWhite() OR Doji() OR EngulfingBull() OR Hammer() OR InvHammer() OR MorningDojiStar() OR MorningStar() OR PiercingLine() OR RisingWindow() OR Bull3Formation()) AND (colA>=1450) AND (colB>=5) AND (colC<=39) My question is should I have the parentheses around the Candlestick signals like I do above or is the OR statement enough. I don't seem to get back as many results as when I did them individually and just want to make sure this is right. Steve B
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2005 2:43:50 AM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey steve.... the 'and' has higher precedence than the 'or'..... but using the () over rides that making whats inside the ()'s filter out first..... not knowing what col a, b, c, are keeps me from doing a complete check, but that might give different results, obviously it is...... btw, just curious, again not knowing a,b and c, is there a reason your not just listing a single candle name under each of the 6 columns..... that would return only the trues...... you could only do 6 at a time but at least they would be sorted and named ...... how are you telling what is what using the multiple 'or' method.......h
SteveB  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2005 10:13:19 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi Hayseed, Thanks for your reply! ColA is volume, ColB is price, and ColC is Stochastics. I tell which candle signal is which when I look at the chart as I have been using them for quite a while now and have them memorized. Thanks for your suggestion regarding listing the signals in the columns. I have probably 30 different candlestick signals in my Explorer but I mostly scan for the ones listed in my original message. I was just using the Control key to choose them and doing multiple scans at the same time (per one of your posts in tips & tricks) but I would have to close out each one after I viewed the results and then click on Reports for the next one and do this for each signal. I was trying to get them all in one report and just go down the list from there. From what you have told me so far, it seems that the () should not change the results and the results should be the same with or without them. I wasn't sure if I should include them or not. I'll try a test later this morning...doing it my old way and new way and count the results. Maybe it was just me! Thanks again Hayseed. You are a great help to this rookie. Steve B